Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Skoolie Conversions ---- a great group!

Not a bad place to work on the bus. Mine is two miles from home out in the open.

Neat thing about it, since it is a parking lot, I get a few curious people walk up ask what the heck is that thing.

Can't wait to get it back together again and go on my first camping trip.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #82
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey

Remember boys and girls...it's not camping anymore since you have a bus!!!!!!
ITS CALLED GLAMPING
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bansil.
ITS CALLED[i
GLAMPING[/i]

?? Please don't call my stupid ?? Please explain? Maybe I missed something in translation.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #84
Bus Geek

Glamour Camping is when you "leave your home and take your other home to the woods on vacation" and laugh at the people "roughing it" as you microwave pop corn and grab a cold beverage out of the fridge........or maybe it's the peach vanilla ice cream you share with your neighbors

They say "this isn't camping"

I smile and say "yes it is, Glamour Camping...Glamping"...people smile and laugh...good times it's what it's about

make since?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Right, I get it now, Thanks. Hey I maybe slow, but I get there.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #86
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Luckychow,
Great to see that you are out enjoying all that work. I have been busy we have just purchased a 13 acre kennel property. Best part is a 40 x 60 training center building that I can fit the bus in!!!!! One thing you may want to get for your x pens, big pool noodles, we cut a slot in them and put them over the top end of the x pen. they add support to the xpen and then you can strap it tight to the side of the bus.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #87
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Luckychow,
Great to see that you are out enjoying all that work. I have been busy we have just purchased a 13 acre kennel property. Best part is a 40 x 60 training center building that I can fit the bus in!!!!! One thing you may want to get for your x pens, big pool noodles, we cut a slot in them and put them over the top end of the x pen. they add support to the xpen and then you can strap it tight to the side of the bus.
Tracy
Congratulations on the property! One thing for sure, I know you'll love the building, especially in the winter.

Have you guys taken your bus to any dog shows yet? I've yet to see any buses at a show except high end Wanderlodges and a couple Prevost. And thanks for mentioning the noodles. I've seen them before, but have never tried it.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #88
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Not a bad place to work on the bus. Mine is two miles from home out in the open.

Neat thing about it, since it is a parking lot, I get a few curious people walk up ask what the heck is that thing.

Wmkbailey, you're doing a lot of excellent work here. I can't wait to see how it turns out. This roof raise is very unique! Don't fret about having to drive two miles. When I did my Thomas, it was a 50 mile drive to friends out in the country. It really makes a difference to have it at home though.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #89
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Luckychow,
No dog shows yet, we used to be into them when my daughters were showing. Not many schoolies at the shows, just the big money handler rigs. Way too many politics for those trying to show Canadian bred Newfs in the states. I don't know how it is with Chows but there are two different styles of Newfs, most judges only pull the American dogs. Our the handler they had dinner with, you know how that goes.
We mostly go to working events with our Newfs, water rescue and draft cart stuff. These are much more fun for us and the dogs, there is no competition just the working bond between you and your dog. Very rewarding indeed.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #90
Skoolie

It's been an interesting week. On Saturday I decided to fill up with fuel. I usually buy diesel down the street about 4 miles at an oil company. Easy in and easy out with the bus. I had been on the road about a mile when my check engine light came on and the engine de-rated. In about 45 seconds it went off and everything returned to normal. Then it came on a second time. Stayed on about a minute and went off again. By this time I was at the oil company so I pulled in and filled up. Afterwards I drove over to our nearby shop and borrowed a scan tool. Pulled two codes out of it. They were "RTC low voltage" and "Boost pressure sensor low voltage". While these two codes aren't thrilling, they aren't as bad as it could have been.

The long and short is my engine computer is going out. It is a DDEC IV, which has an internal battery, and the battery is finally failing. Detroit's fix is to replace the computer. You don't want to know what a DDEC IV ECU cost from them. The battery is not replaceable. Luckily there are several companies that rebuild these. The cost of a rebuilt one is about $750. I still scratch my head on a company like Detroit putting a non replaceable battery in an engine computer, knowing that all batteries fail at one time or another. It seems to me that the better solution would be to simply put non-volitale memory in it so no battery is needed. Go figure. I spoke to one of the ECU rebuilders. He says that about 50% of the time the battery either bursts or leaks and ruins the board, causing a whole host of error codes. That's the reason they don't just replace the battery in them. So it looks like I'm out of commission for a few weeks.

I'm not sure how many of you have electronic engines, but if you don't, be glad!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #91
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Sorry about your troubles and thanks for the heads up. While I still am a poroponent of computer run engines and fly by wire, I have stockpiled a couple of computers for both my old Suburban and my TOAD. Somehow it never occurred to me to look into a replacement computer for my '05 Isuzu powered Skoolie--I'll be looking.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #92
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

I spent several extra months looking for one of the old "two-wire" Cummins after talking with numerous techs about engine choices. May be the first time in my life I have ever encountered 100% agreement on anything!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #93

What has happened to this conversion does anyone know. This is one of the best conversions and the information and detail is wonderful. But suddenly it quit is that it?
phil32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #94
Skoolie

No, still here. Waiting until the kitchen is in to update. It's winter time and I hibernate in the cold!

I had to replace my engine ECM (computer). Just got it fixed 3 or 4 weeks ago. You don't want to know how much it cost. That sure puts a dent in the conversion budget. Looking forward to some spring outings soon. Already the campgrounds are booked on holiday weekends here. Unbelievable. There is a big FMCA event in Perry Georgia this week. I had originally planned to go, but the computer replacement ate up the "let's have fun" money. So we're sitting this one out.

Update coming soon.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #95

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Having a computer controlled engine is nice...if everything is working. When something goes wrong, it is usually very costly to repair. Sorry to hear that the repair will ruin your trip. My bus is THE VERY LAST YEAR of the mechanical injection DT466 engines. In California, they had switched to the DT466E two years earlier. I had to go to Tennessee to get my bus. I got to meet Grey Eagle. He was kind enough to put up with me and take me to my bus.

Anyone searching for a bus should take this into consideration. Simple things like replacing injectors could cost upwards of 5x as much with an electronic engine.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #96
Bus Geek

I'll second Cal on that. I paid extra to get one of the older Cummins "2-Wire Motors" after talking to the techs at the big Cummins facility here in Houston. They were in 100% agreement. Unless you were running a fleet, had your own maintenance division and could justify the outrageous cost to keep up with the extra 2 mpg...go with all mechanical. Cheap and easy to fix vs exorbitant and requiring a PhD in Computer Science.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
I'll second Cal on that. I paid extra to get one of the older Cummins "2-Wire Motors" after talking to the techs at the big Cummins facility here in Houston. They were in 100% agreement. Unless you were running a fleet, had your own maintenance division and could justify the outrageous cost to keep up with the extra 2 mpg...go with all mechanical. Cheap and easy to fix vs exorbitant and requiring a PhD in Computer Science.
That's why I got the mechanical Cummins also.

I don't fear any of the normal wiring issues on any of my units with a mechanical Cummins. I can completely disconnect the wiring harness, and still start my engine.

Tango, do you have the VE pump, or the P pump on that nice little 4 BT? The P pump needs no electrical at all. You can even get a starter that runs off compressed air, rather than 12 volts! . That how I will start mine after the sun farts a big residual EMP that lasts 10 years.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #98
Skoolie

I can't say as I disagree with any of you guys. The electronic stuff is more expensive and gives more trouble.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #99
Bus Geek

Mine has the Bosch inline pump. Simple to maintain, work on or "pump" up.

And from what I read, we need to get our "hardened" shelters built pretty quick. Mainstream science types are beginning to acknowledge the very real possibility of a solar super flare within the next year or so that could take down the whole grid and just about everything electrical. The last one was in 1859 and took out most of what little electrical apparatus was around back then. A similar "Carrington Class" event today has the potential to bring modern society to its' knees. Hang onto your air starter.

But, look at the bright side...at least we won't have to worry about people texting while driving for a while.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #100
Skoolie

Well, I'm very tardy and guilty of not updating my build thread. I'm still not completely through, but getting closer. I promise to update sometime soon. I've actually taken two sets of photos to do an update, but neither were very good. The lighting wasn't right, so the pictures were dark.

Just for fun, I do have a couple of photos from a dog show I was at during Halloween of this year. We always have a good time at this show. Most of the RV'ers decorate their RV's in the spirit. Because mine is a transit, I was able to have a little fun with the destination sign. It alternated between the message you see in the pic and this one "Additional Broom Parking on Roof".

It was a bit sad though. I lost Savannah about 3 months back. She was 11 years old. She always enjoyed this show.