Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm not saying it can't work, but can you imagine trying to seal up a bus that has a wooden cabin grafted onto it?

I can't judge the quality of work from a few pictures, but I would agree that this is what insurance companies are afraid of. If it's insured it's probably minimum coverage. I've read several times that insurance companies can not refuse basic insurance to anyone yet most seem to be pretty consistently denying coverage based on the particular type of vehicle we choose to drive. Saying these buses are unsafe is an insult to the safety of our children. If I was going to be in a wreck it seems a bus would likely be the larger vehicle and probably safer for that reason. The idea of having a wreck in a bus as pictured is kind of terrifying. I have visions of a wood stove hitting me in the back of the head.

It appears that my neighbor has bought a bus now. All of the cabin behind the drivers seat is gone except for the skirt. It's essentially a long ugly flatbed with a yellow skirt. Perhaps it will sprout a wood cabin in the future and then he'll get frustrated trying to get insurance like the rest of us.

On a side note, have you guys heard about people purchasing buses and burying them? Preppers apparently. I think the bus is a good idea but I'd like it to be able to travel so I can avoid trouble. Recently I heard about a buried bus that's caving in slowly. Seems like a lot of work to bury yourself.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote