Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Sloppy Yellow

Looks like a good platform to build from.

I vote Second build. You can tow it behind the skoolie.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Looks like a good platform to build from.

I vote Second build. You can tow it behind the skoolie.

Nat
I was absolutely going to do that exact thing. However I decided to use it to transport a odd size piece of equipment I need for my business.
DanMan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Getting ready to get Sloppy Yellow inspected. I don't think the front tires are going to pass. I called my insurance agent last night and haven't heard back yet. I read some posts about GMAC being good. We'll see how it goes. Everybody has a different story regarding how they went about getting it titled. Mine too. I went to the local Tax Office this morning and told the guy I bought a school bus from a local ISD and converted it to an RV and asked what he needed to get it re-titled. He didn't know (which I was prepared for). He asked the other person that worked there; she didn't know either. He then picked up the phone and called his regional office (Waco). When he was off the phone he handed me a post-it that read: 1. Weight Slip 2. Pictures inside and out 3. Title

My bus has 29,000 lbs on the title. I am hoping that it will weigh less than 26,000 lbs with all the seats out, but I don't think that'll happen. Any suggestions to make it lighter? Any other advice will be greatly appreciated!

Dan
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Gee, mine is 40', rear engine. #25,000 full of fuel and converted, with 4 head on board. I would think you'd be considerably under that.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Gee, mine is 40', rear engine. #25,000 full of fuel and converted, with 4 head on board. I would think you'd be considerably under that.

Ok. I just looked and that's the GVWR. I'll get it weighed and see what it comes out to.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73

if the gvwr on the plate says 29k then it will stay 29k, they wont change the weight on the title or the gvwr,
they need a weight ticket just to make sure it does not weigh more than the manufacturer recommends,
a few months ago I got my bus retitled in texas,
look at my other posts in the "insurance" section of skoolie.net for my experiences,
Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #27
Almost There

are the vertical and horizontal supports on your roof rack two inch square tube? what gauge?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
if the gvwr on the plate says 29k then it will stay 29k, they wont change the weight on the title or the gvwr,
they need a weight ticket just to make sure it does not weigh more than the manufacturer recommends,
a few months ago I got my bus retitled in texas,
look at my other posts in the "insurance" section of skoolie.net for my experiences,
I did and it was very helpful! Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a Class B, but I do like the big bus.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #29
Almost There

Per the TX DMV website a CDL is not required if your bus is "designed" to carry 15 passengers or less, so I "think" this means you dont want more than 15 passenger seats permanently installed,

I would suggest you get your bus titled as an RV and get your class B non cdl license before you put the rack on the roof, I dont know if they will question whether or not it is an RV or some other type of commercial vehicle if you have a rack on top intended to support people,

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLice ... /DL-7C.pdf
per this manual,
"" Who is exempt from a CDL? (Certification form CDL-2
required)
4. A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use ""

My reading of the regulations leads me to believe a class B non cdl is sufficient if it is for personal use,

I would also suggest that you make no statement on the site or in an email regarding you wanting to use this vehicle in a "for hire" status, It will definitely change what type of insurance you need, perhaps other things also,

I have spoken to several texas peace officers and they all swore up and down that a class b is not needed for an RV regardless of its weight, but the regulations I have read seemed clear to me that they were wrong,
I got my class B non cdl because I dont want the hassle of some court or attorney overriding the street cop if I got in a wreck, especially since if I was found to be driving without the correct title or drivers license my liability insurance would be cancelled retroactively.

I assume you will drive like a granny with that rack on top, I assume the rack weighs about 4000lbs, your bus is probably 17000 empty, so this adds up to 21000 with the rack,
Just installing a spartan interior will add 4000 lbs which means by the time you are done you will be near the suspensions max weight,
I recommend you keep decent tires on it and make sure they are G rated, IMHO you dont want to overload the tires as well as the suspension, and G rated tires on that bus can support about 39000 lbs,

Be sure to confirm its legal max height, I think it is 14 ft,
I "think" nothing can stick out more than 4 inches from the sides other than side mirrors, 3ft from the front bumper and 4ft from the rear bumper,
Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

After speaking with BUBB (appreciate the info) & picking his brain, I've come up with a solution for mounting my existing rack on top of my roof. I'm going to use 2" square tube steel at every rib across between the windows. The bottom of my verticals will be even with the bottom of the windows and be 48" overall length. This will give me 3" of clearance above the center of the roof. Then I'll tie them all together with a 2" sq tube bolted horizontally across the top all the way around to make a complet rectangle. This will give me a nice frame to set my existing rack on top off.

The reason for going to the bottom of the windows is so I'll have something to fasten my tin to cover up the windows. At three (3) ribs I'm going to extend the verticals to the bottom "chair rail" (not sure what you call it but it's just at the top of the wheel running the length of the bus painted black) so I can add a 2x4 to the outside (14' or so) and make it easy to add a table to serve food on. That way all I'll need to do is make a tabletop with 2 legs (saw horses?) and have a quick easy set up.

That's the plan for now, anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.56 MB, 259 views)