Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Sloppy Yellow

A lot of progress in the last week or so. Race is first week of April, though, and I'll be burning the midnight oil to get her close enough. The bunk bed idea of using the bolts that hold up the rack work FANTASTIC. Makes everything feel solid. The beds are 29" wide and roughly 7' long as I have a son and a buddy that are both 6'5". It worked out nice that the beds start/end at the window ribs, so that also made it easy to build that size. I plan on adding small shelving to one end of the beds to hold phone, keys, etc. Got to figure out how to get mattresses made, and I am right at $900 spent, and I didn't want to spend more than $1000. I do have some old mattresses that used to be in my camper. I'm debating on just cutting them to size, and covering them. We'll see.

The biggest pain has been the toilet situation. I plan on only using Sloppy Yellow at the race track, so I know there'll be a dump station near by. I wasn't really looking forward to mounting tanks underneath either. So after much debate, I decided to get a holding tank from a portapotty. Makes momma happy, has a urinal which makes me and my buddies happy, and was a piece of cake to install. Got it brand new for $75. Comes with a valve kit and everything.

Took all the electrical parts from my camper and ran wire for lights and plugs to every bed, closet, and front and back of the bus. Really need to get the inside done first so I can work on my outside canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Beginning Bunks.JPG   Front View Rack.JPG   Side View Rack.JPG  

DanMan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

More pics of progress
Attached Thumbnails
Bunk Area.JPG   Bunk Area 2.JPG   Bed Looking Front.JPG  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

More Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Terrible Carpenter.JPG   Holding Tank Stuck.JPG   Toilet.JPG  
Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #64
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

No offense Dan but how are you going to keep that from splashing out while going down the road and what will keep your bus from smelling like a portolet?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny76
No offense Dan but how are you going to keep that from splashing out while going down the road and what will keep your bus from smelling like a portolet?
None taken. I don't plan on driving down the road with any fluid in it. It is merely a bus to use at nascar races. I only use this for 4-5 days at time. Only liquid is allowed. I'll vent it like you normally would. If it starts to smell, I'll dump it.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #66
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

A porta potty tank; great idea. LoL with the open chamber some rally low notes might be possible after all the BBQ, Beer and baked beans. LoL..
I am curious would you have enough space under the bus where you are placing it to mount it? Make a sealed plate where the throne goes and use an "RV" toilet plumbed to it?
I know you are going to dump it; but you will have to spray it out to get all the "Juice of doom" out of it..
While in use have you or considered sealing it some way? BUT when some one uses it the sweet order of where your food money went will fill the bus..
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Sloppy Yellow is getting close, and its a good thing since the Texas Motor Speedway Infield opens up in 3 days!
Attached Thumbnails
Front Entrance.JPG   Front Entrance 2.JPG   Entertainment Center.JPG  
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

The sink was something I've been looking for for a long time. Hands free, portable, holds 16 gallons.
Attached Thumbnails
Sink Fastener.JPG   Vent Hole.JPG   Bathroom 1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/DanMa ... sort=3&o=6
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

Closet Turned out nice. The beds are really what I worried about the most and I love them.
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... 1396211857
Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Thanks for the pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

1st NASCAR race for SloppyYellow = SUCCESS

Had a blast. SloppyYellow was awesome. Can still make her better. Can't wait until November!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Watching the FinalFour from the SloppyYellow Lounge

Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 AM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

NASCAR Skoolie --- aka' Mobile Man Cave! Sweet to see it in use.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #76
Almost There

Year: 2000

What was the approximate cost of building that type of roof deck?

I've also heard that it's illegal to have a fixed railing deck in some places, any truth to that?
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels
Price out rough cut 1x6 treated deck boards. Calculate how many you need for the size of your bus roof. Don't use 4x4's as cross supports. Not necessary and heavy as hell. Rest the supports (joist to screw decking to) on the crown of the roof, you only need a 2x4 for this.

Quote:
I've also heard that it's illegal to have a fixed railing deck in some places, any truth to that?
Not as long as it's under the national height limit of just over 14 feet.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #78
Bus Nut

If you go back to page 2 about half way down where he has removed the camper under the deck.... look closely and you can see that the rails fold down onto the deck.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #79
Almost There

Year: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Price out rough cut 1x6 treated deck boards. Calculate how many you need for the size of your bus roof. Don't use 4x4's as cross supports. Not necessary and heavy as hell. Rest the supports (joist to screw decking to) on the crown of the roof, you only need a 2x4 for this.

Quote:
Not as long as it's under the national height limit of just over 14 feet.

Nat
Good info, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri
If you go back to page 2 about half way down where he has removed the camper under the deck.... look closely and you can see that the rails fold down onto the deck.
Thanks, I missed that pic! Definitely want to do a fold down railing.
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

As Nat said as long as it's under the height limit, it doesn't matter. Every Nascar team hauler has a very similar rack on top to view their cars during practice.

The steel alone was purchased in '07 for $1800. I took it off my old camper. It's built out of 3" square for the decking with expanded metal on top.

I had to add the side supports, tho. Used 2" square tube and it totaled $225 or so. I cut the pieces to length myself.

I had thought about wood, but when I use SloppyYellow there will be alcohol involved & wood didn't give me the comfortable feeling like steel does. I also don't have covered parking for my bus & the Texas summers would lower the life of a wood deck tremendously. But, wood is a fantastic option for sure.