Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #261

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Smells Like Teen Spirit: Conversion of 1999 Thomas MVP

Thanks for the link. Good price and free shipping. Where did you read about the Rotella being better than Cat?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #262
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

WOW!!! Great job on the repairs! Starting to work with my baby tomorrow (2000 MVP). Engine gets up to 165* and stays there.... When she goes to auction I'm aiming to get her. Reading your posts along with Mr. Bailey's as well... Still cheering for ya both! BTW, mine is rust free so far.....
Old 09-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #263
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
glad trip went good, how is the arm?

nice pics
Thanks! It healed a few days after, they gave me antibiotics (which kind of sucks but whatever) and it went away after, but there is still a mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePimentals
Seriously awesome. My jeep doesn't run that cool. I'm way excited for you.

How your plan going for off grid electrical? I just spent so much money on my system, not installed yet. But I can tell you that handybobsolar site is great and he also answered all of my emails to help me design the system. Just read his whole site first (twice).
Lots and lots of batteries. I actually haven't thought too too much about it. Probably 4 bigguns, four 6-volts with 2 wired in series then the pair of series run in parallel. Maybe six like that, depending on cost. I have my 12 volt built in charger hooked up and working like a champ, then I will do either manual or electric switches / solenoids to isolate the starting batteries. I would like to do a 100-200 watt solar panel / array as well. I have a 6.5kw air cooled diesel generator that I would like to use but it is SO DAMN LOUD. I will do some experimentation with it but I feel like even with rubber isolators, dynamat and an enclosure, it will still be too loud to use for primary purposes so I will likely only use that when desperate. Thanks for the tip on the site.

Also, all of my lighting (except dash and headlights) are LED and very efficient. I forgot to turn the charger on for 24 hours and we had all interior lights on and the accent lights too and the bus still cranked up right away with the 2 smallish SUV-sized batteries in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Thanks for the link. Good price and free shipping. Where did you read about the Rotella being better than Cat?
I didn't hear that, it was just cheaper and made to their specs. Also they had free 2-day shipping for a little while which is a great deal for 6 gallons of liquid. It "meets or exceeds cat specifications." Also, Shell Rotella T 15w-40 oil is bangin, I use that in the bus and my car, my friend uses it in his W123 Merc so I know shell makes good stuff. It quieted the valvetrain of my E30 nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
WOW!!! Great job on the repairs! Starting to work with my baby tomorrow (2000 MVP). Engine gets up to 165* and stays there.... When she goes to auction I'm aiming to get her. Reading your posts along with Mr. Bailey's as well... Still cheering for ya both! BTW, mine is rust free so far.....
Exciting! You will find rust :P
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #264
Bus Nut

So I was driving at night the other day and am coming to terms with how bad my headlight setup was. I had bought projector versions of my 6 x 7 headlights, to install HID lights in and hopefully have better lights. The projectors ended up being crappy and not aiming well, and one HID burned out due to the Thomas wiring harness being screwed up. So I ran it like that for a bit, but I decided to go back to sealed beam halogen lights, (I fixed the wiring harness) and add some driving lights (rally-style) on a seperate switch to use when the road gets real dark and nobody is around. So I bought these LED driving lights off amazon and mounted them:

I will post links for anyone who needs them. It was $120 for the four. The outer two are wide beam 60 degree lights, at 27 watts each; 2,090 lumens each. The inners are narrow beam 10 degree lights, at 42 watts each; 2,590 lumens each. Needless to say they are VERY BRIGHT. I used an old switch from the original pedestrian lights to turn them on and off and mounted it on the side switch panel.

Just halogen sealed beams:

Just LEDs:

Before:

After:

So you SHOULD NOT use these when there is traffic around, and it is probably illegal to use these on roads. However, some dark winding campground or other rural roads they will help me see deer or whatever coming that I could otherwise not see with the stock headlights.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #265
Bus Nut

I forgot to mention previously, I went to an Allison Transmission service pleace to try to get my 6th gear enabled, second overdrive to save fuel / noise / engine wear, and they wouldn't do it. We were all set to go but the tires I had on did not match the ones Thomas specified they had tested the bus with at speed. Mine are 295mm wide, the ones specified are 275mm wide. However, they have the same speed rating, so it should be fine. But the guys at the shop won't do it unless it says on tghe letter from Thomas exactly the tires I have, because it pins the liability on them. So we had to do this trip with only one overdrive, suckin' down fuel at 9 mpg.

We went on another brief trip this weekend! We went to "First Landing State Park" in Virginia, a few miles north of VA beach. It is right on the opening of the Chesapeake Bay into the Atlantic Ocean, we were oceanside. Here is the site:

We did a DIY awning cause it rained some:

It was a nice place. The weather didn't cooperate too well, but we made the best and ate like kings. The fridge was stocked pretty well, too.

And not my picture, but the sunset was beautiful.

Apparently, due to some liquor, we were making too much noise at 1 am on our last night and the park police showed up. They just told us to quiet down, and I (drunkenly) showed them inside the bus and they loved it, a bunch of other people at the park came up to it and loved it too. It is cool to know that despite not having the best interior or most functional rig, people still appreciate my hard work. The other nice thing is, since I paid for everything on this and did all the work, I rarely have to pay for food or fuel when taking people places

My dad brought his friend who snored like a Detroit Diesel, and we made him sleep outside the second night, on the beach like you see in the panoramic picture. We had a tent we brought but picked up the wrong poles, so he just slept in the collapsed tent like it was a sleeping bag. It was a good time.

We got it weighed on our way back at a TA truck stop, and we clocked in at:

Which is a LOT lighter than I expected. I had still never weighed the bus until this point and had NO IDEA if I was legally allowed to drive it. So it weighed in at 21,420 with all four of us on board, 150 - 220 lbs each, all our crap, and a full 60 gal tank of diesel. This thing probably was 18,000 when empty, as the flooring I put in is decently heavy, as well as the doors that I made the walls out of. The weight distribution is 33% front, 67% rear, so it is not quite a BMW.

Speaking of walls, despite how secure everything seemed when assembling it, stuff is coming loose. Screws holding my walls on have backed out some or completely, stuff creaks more and my microwave mount broke loose and the thing fell to its death. The air horn compression fitting for the supply line came off too and we drove with an air leak until I could stop and do a rigged repair at a rest stop. So I have some work to do making all that better.

No real mechanical issues on this trip though!

Next up, I need to finish the trim, make the inside look more cleanly done and install heat, the generator, and maybe some more batteries and a solar system.

Please feel free to ask any questions!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #266
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat

Awesome trip! What kind of fridge did you get?

And as far as legal or not, as long as your bus is titled and registered as an rv there is no limit on size. I called Alabama state patrol and Arizona DPS (their state police) and both told me that as long as it is privately registered and not used for commercial purposes, then a regular operators license is fine. The federal DOT regulates what needs a class A license or doesn't, not the states individually. Now I did hear someone mention maybe a specialized endorsement may be needed for air brakes, however, if your state doesn't, then you should be fine.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #267
Mini-Skoolie

Porkchop, I got a similar spider bite in PA last summer on vacation, complete with track marks, visit to urgent care and course of antibiotics. Did you see the critter? I felt the SOB chomp down on my thigh twice but didn't have the pleasure of crushing the f@ker into goo. Hopefully you got more satisfaction in your encounter.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #268
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

sounds like you had a blast its so true, things come loose, I had screws fall off, and the bracket that held my microwave oven broke too, but It didn't fall out, I guess part of the problem is a bus has such a stiff ride things just loosen up. I had my bus weighed, 8500kgs(18700pounds) with that info I lowered the tire pressure to 75 pounds, and it made a noticeable improvement in the ride, this should help keep things screwed into place.
gbstewart
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #269
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr

And as far as legal or not, as long as your bus is titled and registered as an rv there is no limit on size. I called Alabama state patrol and Arizona DPS (their state police) and both told me that as long as it is privately registered and not used for commercial purposes, then a regular operators license is fine. The federal DOT regulates what needs a class A license or doesn't, not the states individually. Now I did hear someone mention maybe a specialized endorsement may be needed for air brakes, however, if your state doesn't, then you should be fine.
The fridge in the pic is not what I got, that is in my parents house. The fridge I got is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whirlpool-1 ... &cp=1&lp=3

In black. From best buy. It was on sale for more off when I got it, like 300 or so. It is a 120 volt unit I run off my inverter while driving and it works like a charm!

That is good news about licensing, it has not been an issue yet (never pulled over) but I am sure I will run into it at some point. In MD, on a class C (normal) license, air brakes are a restriction rather than an endorsement, and regular licenses are not air brake restricted. So as long as the vehicle is under 26k and has air brakes, you are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChariot
Porkchop, I got a similar spider bite in PA last summer on vacation, complete with track marks, visit to urgent care and course of antibiotics. Did you see the critter? I felt the SOB chomp down on my thigh twice but didn't have the pleasure of crushing the f@ker into goo. Hopefully you got more satisfaction in your encounter.
I did not see it. I would have burnt the fucker if I did, because I got a bite like that a month or so prior. I fogged my room and my bus with insect foggers, and have been ok since, but I think it is probably an allergic reaction to some bugs venom because of the way it reacts. But who knows, did you feel any ill effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
sounds like you had a blast its so true, things come loose, I had screws fall off, and the bracket that held my microwave oven broke too, but It didn't fall out, I guess part of the problem is a bus has such a stiff ride things just loosen up. I had my bus weighed, 8500kgs(18700pounds) with that info I lowered the tire pressure to 75 pounds, and it made a noticeable improvement in the ride, this should help keep things screwed into place.
gbstewart
This one has a wicked stiff ride. I hope new shocks will help but maybe not. I just need to anchor stuff better, and if I ever question if it is strong enough than it needs to be stronger! I would rather keep psi up for mpg, but good idea.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #270
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr

The fridge in the pic is not what I got, that is in my parents house. The fridge I got is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whirlpool-1 ... &cp=1&lp=3

In black. From best buy. It was on sale for more off when I got it, like 300 or so. It is a 120 volt unit I run off my inverter while driving and it works like a charm!

That is good news about licensing, it has not been an issue yet (never pulled over) but I am sure I will run into it at some point. In MD, on a class C (normal) license, air brakes are a restriction rather than an endorsement, and regular licenses are not air brake restricted. So as long as the vehicle is under 26k and has air brakes, you are good.

Quote:
I did not see it. I would have burnt the fucker if I did, because I got a bite like that a month or so prior. I fogged my room and my bus with insect foggers, and have been ok since, but I think it is probably an allergic reaction to some bugs venom because of the way it reacts. But who knows, did you feel any ill effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
gbstewart
This one has a wicked stiff ride. I hope new shocks will help but maybe not. I just need to anchor stuff better, and if I ever question if it is strong enough than it needs to be stronger! I would rather keep psi up for mpg, but good idea.
I know what you mean, our roads are so rough and twisty/off camber I have a wall loose, I didnt realize 3 years ago the bus would flex so much, everything else I have built I leave a 3/8 or 1/2 gap to deal with roads now

you all had fun and thats important....picture was awesome of sunset
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #271
Mini-Skoolie

Spider bite

Only other symptom was that the bite area was very hot/feverish, and raised. Thankfully nothing worse than an inconvenience.

Really impressed with what you have done with your bus
Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #272
Bus Nut

Quote:
I know what you mean, our roads are so rough and twisty/off camber I have a wall loose, I didnt realize 3 years ago the bus would flex so much, everything else I have built I leave a 3/8 or 1/2 gap to deal with roads now

you all had fun and thats important....picture was awesome of sunset
It is funny because when I was cutting the walls out I was concerned about them not being exactly perfect to the curvature of the ceiling, because I am not great with jigsaws. They ended up not being perfect and now I am glad they aren't!

Quote:
Only other symptom was that the bite area was very hot/feverish, and raised. Thankfully nothing worse than an inconvenience.

Really impressed with what you have done with your bus
I didn't get that. I took the stuff they gave me and it went away in like 3 days, it was weird. I ran an insect fogger in the bus shortly after. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #273
Bus Nut

Soon I am hoping to get started re-installing the heating. I will be poring over wmkbailey's thread to figure out how he got his webasto to stay on indefinitely. I will reinstall the unit (took it out to rebuild it, it has been dome for quite some time). A month ago or so I rigged the unit up to the bus pumping water through a 5 gallon bucket just to make sure it worked, and it heated the 5 gallons of water from ~55 degrees to too hot to touch within 2 minutes! Should keep the bus toasty, after I figure out how I want to do the heat.

Plumbing will follow shortly, I was looking at these tanks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/46-Gallon-Roto- ... 8c&vxp=mtr

I was going to use 2 for fresh and 2 for grey. I abandoned the blackwater / toilet idea on this bus, I feel like, with the crew who would be on it, it would get too messy and be generally awful. If we go that far out of civilization to not have a bathroom, then you can **** in a field no problem If it becomes an issue I will look into a composter.

Does anyone see a problem with connecting the 2 tanks together for grey / fresh? I know you wouldn't want to do this on blackwater tanks however the threaded fittings on the tank are 1.5" ID and that should allow for enough flow between the 2 tanks that they are never not equal in fluid level. It just seems like a much cheaper way to get tanks, since I do not want to mess with barrels.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #274

Porkchop,

Nice bus!

I'm new to the skoolie forum as i am still in the process of looking for a bus. Found a 95 sat t liner with a cummins 8.3 and 326,000km's on it (202,500miles), one rusted cross member on the floor. Thoughts?

About your tanks, I've put a few tanks in my dads old fish boat and we would connect the two so i don't see any problems there connecting the fresh together to "double" your tank size. I put shut off valves between the tanks.
tmjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #275
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjones
Porkchop,

Nice bus!

I'm new to the skoolie forum as i am still in the process of looking for a bus. Found a 95 sat t liner with a cummins 8.3 and 326,000km's on it (202,500miles), one rusted cross member on the floor. Thoughts?

About your tanks, I've put a few tanks in my dads old fish boat and we would connect the two so i don't see any problems there connecting the fresh together to "double" your tank size. I put shut off valves between the tanks.
I would go for it. Price? Rust doesn't bother me too much on these. It is much easier to fix / get around rust on a bus than it is on a car or light truck. It is flat panels of mild steel whic his super easy to fix, and the structural parts are too thick to rust through for the most part. The 8.3 cummins motor is excellent, great motor for this application. If / when my CAT kicks the bucket, I will look into swapping in an 8.3 Cummins. Mileage like that on that partcular motor wouldn't bother me but I would definitely try to learn something about that motor, like common failure points (if any) so you can see what needs addressed. I'd say it would be a good deal if the price is right. What trans? What rear gear ratio?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #276

Currently at auction with bidding closing on monday night, current high bid of 500cad. 5 speed Allison and don't know the gear ratio (working on getting specs from current owner). Engine is worth more than that on its own so its tempting just to get to seek the cummins.
tmjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #277
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
Rust doesn't bother me too much on these. It is much easier to fix / get around rust on a bus than it is on a car or light truck. It is flat panels of mild steel whic his super easy to fix, and the structural parts are too thick to rust through for the most part.
I thought the same thing.. and bought a rusty bus. In my opinion, look at that bus VERY closely! I spent more time than I would have liked dealing with rust. Hell, I still have to re-apply undercoating so I'm not even finished. It can consume much time that could have been spent on the actual conversion. Where in Canada are you located? If you're on the west or east coast you should be fine with a '95. If you're anywhere in between, tread cautiously. We dump truck loads of salt and chemicals all over our roads in the winter; which is 75% of the time these buses are driven. Look closely at the underside of the bus. Even smack the metal underneath with a hammer in a number of spots. It's a sure way to hear the difference in thickness of the metal. I had to replace 2 full cross beams which didn't look terribly rusted until I started wire brushing and the wire wheel went THROUGH the beam. I dealt with it, but wish I would have been building a bed, or a cabinet, or a bench instead.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #278
Bus Crazy

I'd also like to note that all the rot was right behind the rear wheels. That's where all the salty snow gathers and does it's nasty business. That's the place to thoroughly investigate.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #279
Bus Crazy

Oh, and also around the rear lights (brake, turn signal, back-up). The whole back panel on mine ended up being rotten. Easy panel to fit, but the rub rails have to come off to put it in place. Hmmm.. with that time I could have built a sky-light instead! Or a tank mount.. or.. or....
Old 10-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #280
Bus Crazy

I have to say I am IMPRESSED with your conversion! You put a lot of thoguht into what you have done and have been able to do it on a very low budget.

I have several thoughts you might want to consider.

First, in regards to the toilet, if the only people you ever expect to go with you are male then not having a private toilet is not a big thing. If you ever expect female companions to go along with you and enjoy the fun then you better put in a toilet. When I purchased our first travel trailer my wife had three priorities, one of which was a working toilet.

Second, make sure the oil you use is not the LE (low emission) version of the DELO, Rotella, Ursa, Delvac, et all. If you have an engine that is pre-emission and you use the LE version of the oil you will greatly reduce the life expectancy of your engine because the LE versions have the ZDDP taken out of the formula. The ZDDP poisons catylitic convertors which is why it is taken out. The problem is the ZDDP is what keeps stuff lubed when the engine is shut off. Without the ZDDP when you start the engine you have vitrually no lube on the cam. No lube on the cam and very soon you have no lobes left on the cam. It becomes a particularly bad problem for RV's that sit a long time between starts--until you have oil pressure up you have cam followers riding metal to metal on the cam lobes.

Third, the only headlights that are worse than your square headlilghts are the rectangular quad headlights. Cibie and Hella make some aftermarket upgrades that are a lot better than the standard halogen headlight replacements you can get at AutoZone or O'Reilly's. I am surprised your projector lights didn't work. I am not surprised that the Thomas electrical harness wasn't up to the task. You definitely need to wire in a relay when you start using anything that uses much juice--the factory switch is not built to carry very many amps.

Fourth, in regards to licensing--I am not familiar with the specific laws in MD, DC, VA, and other places on the right coast. What I do know is how the law is applied in WA, OR, and ID. Regardless of the size of the RV, or the size of the RV and the trailer behind, all you need is a standard passenger car driver's/operator's licesne. There is no need for a CDL of any class if the vehicle is licensed as an RV. Even toters with tandem drive axles that would require a CDL in every other situation have passenger car plates and require only a passenger car license to operate. With one big caveat--if you go into Canada, British Columbia in particular, you have to have an air brake endorsement on your license. I had a long conversation with a weights and measures DOT inspector at the largest port of entry scale house in BC about air brake endorsements. Due to the narrow and steep highways of western Canada there has been a disproportionate number of accidents involving air brake equipped RV's. As a consequence they are red flaggin every vehicle that is air brake equipped that does not have a driver with an air brake endorsement--they do not move until an air brake endorsed driver is available to drive the vehicle. They were averaging more than one per week during the month of August and September. So as long as you are driving in the lower 48 or eastern Canada you should be okay.

Good luck and happy trails.

Mark O.
Winlock, WA
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote