More on the engine repair saga.
I stopped putting off the repair and dug in.
Starting off with good vibes.
Removed the alternator, serp belt, alt bracket, upper coolant hose, coolant bleed hose, and a few other things that were in the way. I started removing bolts when I found out one was broken off and missing, on the cylinder that was leaking exhaust. So I removed more and it turned out 4 more were snapped and just sitting in the manifold! Then 3 more snapped when I gave them the slightest twist of a wrench. This is after sitting in a week with PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer to break rust loose.
So I finally break / remove all the bolts and wrestle the turbo and manifold out. The bolts to the turbo are such that you can't easily remove them while it is in the engine bay, so I took it out as a unit.
So 5 bolts came out okay, 6 were snapped flush with the head and one was snapped at the head of the bolt. However, I realized something wasnt right with 3 of the bolts:
Hard to tell from this pic but someone used an angle grinder to shave down this bolt. It is evident in looking at the correct one that somebydy just grabbed whatever bolts and trimmed them down to get them to fit, potentially overtightening them which fatigued them and caused them to snap. OR the thing overheated a lot and caused them to snap. It was evident they were snapped a while (rust heavily on the broken surface) so it isn't my doing
Also, the bolts on the turbo oil drain flange were mismatched, one was covered in anti-sieze and one was rusty as hell. So someone got in here and botched the sh!t out of this job. So I have on order:
12 new manifold bolts
6 new exhaust gaskets
1 new turbo to manifold gasket
o rings and gaskets for turbo oil feed / drain
new turbo oil feed line (very rusty, looks like a pinhole leak could start any second)
Oil feed line flange bolts
Turbo to manifold locknuts
and some other hardware...to the tune of $300. Yay. But at least I will be doing it right.
I brought the manifold to a machine shop today to be planed flat and sandblasted. I know it will rust again but it was just dropping chunks of sh!t everywhere it was so rusty.
The fun step will be drilling out all 6 or so snapped off bolt ends, attemoting to use a fluted screw extractor, it breaking and me drilling them out, attempting to tap the threads, failing, and drilling it out and using a helicoil or timesert. The rest of reassembly beyond that step should be easy.
Don't buy a shitty bus