Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Smells Like Teen Spirit: Conversion of 1999 Thomas MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Only real issue I see is that someone will get real tired of crawling over someone to get out of bed,in middle of night to pee or get up early and wants to not disturbe other person sleeping
Good point. That middle bed may end up being smaller than it is in the drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Looks like you don't have much in the way of storage space. Or perhaps it's just hard to represent in the picture. What is that space in between the toilet and shower? I also agree with what Bansil said about the bed. If I had as much space to work with as you, I would rotate that bed 90 degrees so each person can get off to the side of the bed. I know it doesn't fit as well that way, but I think it is worth sacrificing the space. And even if Nat_ster is right that you sleep alone, that could change any day!
It is just not represented well in the picture. Under the rear bed there is a HUGE amount of storage. About 3' deep by 4' high by the width of the bus. The area between the shower and bathroom will be a closet, it just hadn't been drawn as such in the drawing. It is about a 30" by 30" by 5.5' tall area. It is wider than it is in the drawing. Then there are the kitchen cabinets, only some of which will be used for food and dishes. There won't be that many of those. So those cabinets there are a lot of storage as well; they are full size house cabinets. I haven't thought about it much yet, but the booth seat bottoms will lift up providing a small amount of storage. Last but not least, I am planning on building "basement" storage under the bus. There is none currently, but since there is no drivetrain under the middle bit, that space is basically totally open. I am moving the webasto heater to the engine compartment. So the ~2' tall by ~10' long by 8' wide space I want to build out under the bus will also be storage; the bit that isn't absorbed by water tanks, utilities, a generator, and that kind of stuff. I'm not too worried about storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroequinologist
Looking good! I really like the green paint scheme.

The idea of those lights around the outside is a great oneI I might mock it up one night with a couple and see how it looks myself.
Thanks! I haven't held it up to the bus yet, but I will do plenty more LED accent lighting all over it. My goal is to make wiring easily accessible so I can add lights easily, as I'm not too sure what my needs will be until I can live in it.

porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #62
Bus Nut

I forgot to mention, I picked up a sweet Yanmar / Winco Diesel generator off Craigslist this weekend for $300.

It is likely mf'd in 1994 (same age as me) and only has 380 hours on it. The guy was initially selling it for $500 but he didn't know if it started or not, so I got it for 300. It initially didn't start, but we found out that someone took the injector pump out previously and put it back in incorrectly. I popped it back in correctly and it fired right up. This unit is 5.5kw running, 12 volt electric start, not TOO heavy, and uses a 12 volt lift pump so I can attach it to the main tank rather than having a seperate one to fill. The same model is still made today and retails for about $4,500. The warranty period is 2,000 hours (2 years) so it is safe to say it has some life left in it. It is also able to be wired for 120 volt only, with all amps coming through over one wire so you don't have to balance the loads. The only downside is it is REALLY loud.

Probably my CL find of the year.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Excellent find Porkchop! --- Super little gennies and the noise can be dramatically reduced with insulation & a muffler. Just wish I could have scored a diesel instead of having to have another fuel on board. My little 3K Honda is super quiet though and I like that it is the inverter type.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
I forgot to mention, I picked up a sweet Yanmar / Winco Diesel generator off Craigslist this weekend for $300.

The only downside is it is REALLY loud.

Probably my CL find of the year.
If you drive fast enough, the sound can't keep up.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #65
Bus Nut

With a good amplifier, a high number of large speakers and careful placement of strobe lights no one will even notice the generator!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360

Awesome find, 5500 watts should do ya
Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #67

wmkbailey pointed me over to your post. Im just a few years older and thinking about doing this myself.

First off, why the heck are you in college? I read this whole thread and I have no idea what you are talking about. Ive spent 6 years in college almost, and the only thing I understood from this is about primers and paint, and the LEDs, and a bit about tools (thank goodness I took woodshop when it was offered). Ive been in the same boat: having trouble with college. Contrary to popular belief, college is not for everyone. If you are having trouble, get out and cut your losses. You are just wasting time, and you can always go back. You can NEVER get your age 18-21 years back. Id say finish out the semester, and call it a day and focus on what you want to do, as long as you are doing something. Work a job and work on your bus. If your parents try to start something, worst case scenario, youll have your own place soon. And if they really love you, theyll support you. I wish I could go back to 18 and start again. Youre only 19, so you have 4 years on me to live up.

Second, I have to agree, our generation is beyond lazy and while not necessarily book stupid, definitely practical stupid. I dont think its entirely their fault. A lot of fun is either illegal, discouraged, or just not accessible. It looks like you could deconstruct and reconstruct a car easily. How many people have practical skills like this, know how to garden, fix a house, etc? Not many, and theyll all be screwed if something bad happens to society. I dont think it will, but better to be prepared. Anyway, it seems everyone I know just wants to drink and/or get high, so I know how you feel. But dont hate on parties and music, that can be fun. I wasnt into music for the longest time, and over the past ten or so years, Ive really gotten into it, and wish I knew how to play guitar or something. Im trying to learn how to get into DJing (and one of my visions is to just hop around the continent in a bus and play wherever to make money). I live in New Jersey, and would love to come down to help you on weekends or something, but I dont have a car I could use for that, and I work on weekends right now (trying to get a new job). Are you near Baltimore? Thats really the only part of the state I know, and I know it pretty well actually.

Third, wow this looks like a lot of work. The guy who did this Victorian RV makes it seem fairly easy. Is all that prep work done for every bus, or is yours just in really bad condition. I know you have to rip up the flooring and all that, but it looks like you go much further. For example, why are you replacing or taking out the side panelling and roof? Also, what program are you using to design that? It looks like a cool thing to use. I was planning to just sketch an idea on graph paper. Also, thanks for giving the inside dimensions, then I can at least plan a bit and see what I can do.

Fourth, I like your color idea. I think the second one with the two shades of green looks better. I also like your plan to add external wall lights. Lights will draw people in if you want that (I saw you mentioned attracting the female species...). Inside, theres a lot of cool stuff you could do with lights. I plan to have a lot of stuff in mine: blacklights, ropelights, maybe a disco ball and strobe, hahaha. You can buy these really cool LED light strips designed for cars and edge the outside or inside with them and it will look awesome! Add in some nice speakers and you have an awesome setup. Most people, man or woman, will be in awe of it all, and that you built it yourself, so keep that in mind.

Man, I really wish I could come help out. You need the help and I would love to learn more about this hands on. Cant wait to see it all finished up.
iwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
First off, why the heck are you in college?
Family pressure, school pressure around where i live. My high school was academia living hell forcing AP and college courses down your throat with little emphasis on "doing what you want" over "doing what it takes to get into a good college."

Quote:
If you are having trouble, get out and cut your losses. You are just wasting time, and you can always go back. You can NEVER get your age 18-21 years back. Id say finish out the semester, and call it a day and focus on what you want to do, as long as you are doing something. Work a job and work on your bus. If your parents try to start something, worst case scenario, youll have your own place soon. And if they really love you, theyll support you.
I am taking a break after this semester. I am capable of doing college but i am wired in such a way that if i dont know what i want to do, i wont do a good job. I dont want to waste any of my own time, other peoples time and my parents money getting subpar grades in school while having no idea what to do. So im wrapping school up for now and working 20-30 hr / week and on the bus until summer and hopefully i will be done by June. My parents werent happy about it at first but they have warmed up to it, which is good because they pay for most of my things that arent project related. They are very supportive of my ridiculous ideas.

Quote:
Second, I have to agree, our generation is beyond lazy and while not necessarily book stupid, definitely practical stupid. I dont think its entirely their fault. A lot of fun is either illegal, discouraged, or just not accessible. It looks like you could deconstruct and reconstruct a car easily. How many people have practical skills like this, know how to garden, fix a house, etc? Not many, and theyll all be screwed if something bad happens to society. I dont think it will, but better to be prepared. Anyway, it seems everyone I know just wants to drink and/or get high, so I know how you feel. But dont hate on parties and music, that can be fun.
Yeah it seems like most people i know my age have a very hard time getting off their ass and doing something and prefer to just sit back and complain. Though life is harder now than it was 50 years ago (from what i can gather), it is still possible to have fun legally and do something productive with your spare time. I enjoy getting drunk / high too but for fcks sake, moderation. I know people who treat getting wasted like its a hobby. See "Too Drunk to Fck" by the Dead Kennedys.

Quote:
Third, wow this looks like a lot of work. The guy who did this Victorian RV makes it seem fairly easy. Is all that prep work done for every bus, or is yours just in really bad condition. I know you have to rip up the flooring and all that, but it looks like you go much further. For example, why are you replacing or taking out the side panelling and roof? Also, what program are you using to design that? It looks like a cool thing to use.
Funny, that exact link is how i got the idea to do this ~5 years ago. He probably cut out all the bits about prep work before building it out because it is nasty and not very interesting. I took up the rubber floor because it smells and holds water and rust under it. The rust under the floor is more than i expected there to be. So i cut out any really weak bits and welded in new metal. Arguably you could just plywood over the rubber floor, and it would be fine, but i like the peace of mind that i am starting with a clean (literally) slate. Im taking out the wall panels because the insulation behind them is fiberglass, which isnt good for bus use, and holds water. A lot of it is moldy from small leaks. I was originally going to keep the metal sides but i found i couldnt take them completely off without cutting them or taking a bunch more stuff off, so i just cut them and i will do a wood wainscoting for when im finishing it. For the ceiling, its to reinsulate and add wiring. Im putting the same metal panels back up.

The program i used is Google Sketchup. It is free windows / mac. It has a bit of a learning curve.

If youre serious about this, check out buses on PublicSurplus.com and GovDeals.com in late may - early July. Check out montgomery county, MD buses in particular. They are the flat front rear engine buses like mine, and are a very good platform to work off of. From the govt auctions they got for $2,000-$3,500.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Finally got this thing painted!

It is a very sloppy brushed-on freehand untaped latex house paint paint job. I really don't care how it looks up close. I wanted to get a coat on while it was still warm for a day, because I can't register this thing if it is still yellow. The rear rectangle bit around the window will be black as well, I just didn't get a "finished" picture. The black trim will stay black as will the bumpers, all will get repainted eventually.

I spotted some seepage in the radiator, anyone know what a new bus radiator goes for or where to find them?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

When I was driving a truck I used to hear this place advertize all the time.

http://detroitradiatorcorp.com/catal...bus-motor-home

I had a new radiator made in Phoenix once. They also repaired my CAC they did the whole R&R I don't remember the name, but I could figure it out if needed.

Check around, I'm sure there are shops in your area that can do the repair.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Teen Spirit!
I just read this entire thread, I am so impressed with the work you have done. Especially because you are young too ( at 25 I hope I still count as part of that group) I also agree with the generation today. Everyone is either letting life drift by or charging down a corporate path I can't get behind. The bus is a dream for a successful future without buying in. It is encouraging that you are making so much progress, I hope Justin and I do half as well. We have a hard time battling the excuses and set backs. Congrats and keep up this thread, I plan to refer to it once we get started. Thanks!
Gypsydreamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Free Spirits who dream and also think!?...

...by God there may be hope for this next generation after all!

Words of encouragement & wisdom taken from a Texas Rangers medallion (the lawmen, not the baseball team)...

On one side it reads... "Do right and fear no man."

On the other, in Dog Latin..."Illegitimi non carborundum"...which loosely translates as...

"Don't let the bastards grind you down"

Signed, The Old Fart
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydreamg
Hi Teen Spirit!
I just read this entire thread, I am so impressed with the work you have done. Especially because you are young too ( at 25 I hope I still count as part of that group) I also agree with the generation today. Everyone is either letting life drift by or charging down a corporate path I can't get behind.
I disagree it seems to many people have giving up & expect the Government to step in & take care of them so they don't have to take responibilty for their actions , It's refreshing to see young people wanting to break away from what the youth have become, or at least whats encouraged
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydreamg
Hi Teen Spirit!
I just read this entire thread, I am so impressed with the work you have done. Especially because you are young too ( at 25 I hope I still count as part of that group) I also agree with the generation today. Everyone is either letting life drift by or charging down a corporate path I can't get behind.
I disagree it seems to many people have giving up & expect the Government to step in & take care of them so they don't have to take responibilty for their actions , It's refreshing to see young people wanting to break away from what the youth have become, or at least whats encouraged
X2 I owe you a cold one, when our paths cross(gotta remind me tho' )
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Please don't turn my page into a political debate...if you want to debate, let's bring our buses and meet up, last one there buys a keg. THAT is a good idea.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #76
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71

Quote:
Please don't turn my page into a political debate...if you want to debate, let's bring our buses and meet up, last one there buys a keg. THAT is a good idea.
I have nothing to add to this, I just thought this was worth repeating.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somjuan
Quote:
I have nothing to add to this, I just thought this was worth repeating.
Hmmmph further proof of young foolishness... beverages worth drinking come from BARRELS not kegs!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
That doesn't make since...what are we going to do while waiting for the last person
you should buy the keg and we can partake when we get there
no waiting then
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #79
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri
Hmmmph further proof of young foolishness... beverages worth drinking come from BARRELS not kegs!
Here here!

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Quote:
True true. I prefer a knob creek or a makers mark on the rocks, and if all else fails a gin and tonic.

Sorry for no updates recently. It has been ballsy cold and everything has snow and ice on it, actually kind of unusual for this region this time of year. Usually we don't get significant snow until jan / feb. Must be the global warming. I'm in the process of moving my bus to my neighbors house from my uncles (saves me a 30 minute drive to go work on it, and I won't need to use a generator) and I need to get it registered and inspected to do this (legally). $250 for inspection, gotta pay 6% sales tax at the mva, all that good stuff. I need to reinstall the mirrors, seat, all indicator and marker lights, and the front heater. Luckily they only require a blower motor for a defogger for inspection because I threw out the heater hoses.

So hopefully I can get that down here within 2 weeks, so all I will have to do is walk next door to work on it. My neighbors are way too nice.