Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Smitty's Bus

seriously, bikeforthelight - smitty is making this look EASY! I think I'll still keep the roof raise for the 2nd bus, but damn, is smitty making this look easy.

mouse059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

i know. i was all proud of my subfloor. dang i gots to step it up.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

well you old post whore looks like that tinbashin quality coming out there,still dont see any empties around there,plus i didnt see a tape measure or a level or string lines tangled with power cords? GOOD JOB ps im home! timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I've been teased about my organization by another member. Just a left-over habit from jobsites & the shop, everything gets picked-up at the end of the day (including empties). I hate working in a cluttered area.
Unfortunately, anything of yours at a job site you don't pick up when not in use might get "picked up" by someone else.

This also applies to "work days" organized by churches or other non-profit organizations. Team leaders need to make volunteers understand that the tools tradesmen bring to a site are their income. Helping yourself to an unlocked toolbox to find the tool you need with out permission, and then leaving the tools scattered around when you are done is NOT acceptable.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

You got my vote

Congrats on the bus- looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Smitty, you forgot to paint all of the stuff with a reflective paint on top... Do they make Tin-Foil leaf?... I mean, if your going the route of the TF hat, might as well put it on everything...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #47
Skoolie

Whats your overall height gonna be when its all said and done? I know your raising 18", but are you putting a roof ac on? Just wondering what kind of clearance your gonna have? Looks incredible. Your doing ten times more than me, and your catching up to my conversion already....and I had a head start. Talk about the tortoise and the hare.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #48
Skoolie

ive been thinking about picking up a simple welder and learning. i have done it a couple times with friends units. any suggestions on where to start? i have a good handle on the wood side, but would love to get good with some metal.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Wow Smitty, you are making serious headway on your bus! Its gonna take me a few days to find the time to actually read all the posts since you started! I need to catch up on everyones works & progress!!!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #50
Skoolie

thanks man. i am gonna go look at some today and who knows.....i may be screwing up metal sooner than you think. haha.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

You said in an earlier post something about being a stickler for neatness and hate working in a cluttered environment.... STAY OUT OF MY GARAGE!!! You might have a stroke if you saw it!!! Its slowly getting cleaned up though. I have a 4ish car garage and at the moment can only park my Karmann Ghia in there. In cleaning I have developed kind of a new hobby too. I've been picking up all the misc crap dad had laying around and sorting it into scrap metal and brass/copper bins. I hauled not even a 1/4 pickup load to the recycler yard the other day and made $89 bucks!! It pains me to think of all the little bits of brass and copper I have just thrown away in my lifetime. Now I just need to figure out a quick and fast way of stripping copper wire. (other than burning it) Theres a jillion feet of it laying around in little pieces everywhere along with various fittings and whatever else.

Btw, I have an OLLLLD Lincoln stick welder and I am a Master of burning holes in material with it.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

COOLR, that garage has so many cool old-school tools and machines! After I got home I kicked myself for not thinking to ask if you wanted to sell any of that stuff. I could have carted off a whole bus-load of stuff!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Jonathan- Take a break from driving & catch-up. Hope you're all enjoying the trip, be safe!

Smitty
LOL... we are already here in NM...bout 4 weeks now! I just can't seem to find the time to catch up on business much less skoolie (which I would rather be looking at!). But thanks tho!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #54
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

dude, Thats almost a bet! LOL Weve taken garden tractor parts out of the basement. I got rid of the 23 garden tractors sitting on the driveway and patio. Hauled off probably 5000 pounds of scrap metal and junk. Dad would get all gung ho about something and then collect all kinds of pieces and parts and stuff about whatever and then he would find something else to keep his attention. But never get rid of all the stuff from before. First it was the antique gas engines. Then came the bus, then came model T stuff and then it was the garden tractors. Somewhere in there was antique glass. He actually DID sell off 90% of the antique engines and the model T stuff. But the garden tractors I got rid of. and no way no how am I turning loose of that bus! I just wish he hadnt gotten rid of that 27 T he had for a while.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #55
Skoolie

Thanks man. I am gonna start looking around tomorrow as I pick up supplies for the bus. I will keep you updated on the search.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Hey Smitty, have you thought of a window up front above the windshield? Something that opens for airflow when parked... PHOTOS? Did you say PHOTOS? I added about 30 more from the trip if you are bored!

Jonathan
Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #57
Bus Nut

OR, get an identical window of your windshield & put that up there... will look like a double decker!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Alright... you got a point there... PLUS you have the space for a small billboard up there! Great way to keep people AWAY from your bus!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

nice work what guage are you using up there 16 black? you are gonna be heavy dude,ill 1/4 mile ya we should top out around 50 mph! watch those corners!Off to Trail bc for a couple of weeks for work,thats back to the mainland and 7 hours from the ferry terminal. Then thatsn it for the year,hot rods and bus! timbuk
Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

nope beers on me i insist but it wil be Kokanee from the Kootenays,delivered to your door.oh no, i see the word liver in delivered.......