Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #331
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Smitty's Bus

The wood trim looks great! The bus is starting to take on a real "house truck" look with the house windows, front door overhang and back porch elements. Are you going to create some sort of transition on the lower sides between the area where the back bumper used to be and where it is now? That space seems like it needs some sort of skirting.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #332
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Smitty;

That's just a flat out amazing build! Perhaps when I get older I'll be more than inspired to do something similar, with more advanced technology...
Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #333
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Almost time to start the countdown, or the drum roll, or, hurry up and you can use the 4th as your completion celebration.
(any word on insurance?)
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #334
Site Team

Are you going to take her out on a trip to see if anything needs to be worked out?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #335
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Hahaha very cute back porch.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #336
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

Hi Smitty,
I don't know if it will fit you but I've been using HughesNet Satellite for internet when I'm on the road. I just set up the dish and I'm on anywhere I've been so far which has been west of the rockies and Mexico to the south. I don't know the exact footprint of the satellite so I don't know about your location. It's $59.99 a month. It's how I make money so it pays for itself for me. It was the only thing I could find that I could take to Mexico.
I think in most places in this country the cell phone connection is what most people use. They don't work where I live.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #337
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
... I've been reading alot about the Verizon/air card, and many full-timers are pretty happy with it, plus this $49 no-contract deal is a plus...
So many of the parks/campground have free WIFI that we haven't needed to use the cellphones the connect. What we DO use is an external antenna (I'm using Stacey antenna right now to log online off Anna's private WIFI). When we Wallydock, we have found open WIFI, usually a nearby hotel or restaurant... occasionally a private home (password protect people!!!). In campgrounds/parks we are often too far away to get good reception of the park's WIFI... this is where an antenna comes in handy.

That said, I do want to get a sat dish for the roof (perhaps this one? http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Win...RV_p_2131.html). I like to watch the weather channel while traveling, just to keep an eye on things that are heading towards us or that we may be heading towards... and I would LOVE to have the satellite internet. I have a Dish but I think there is something wrong with my receiver (we have since shut down our service). It didn't want to receive any signal in NC (6 months+ of trees in the way with us paying for the service) but it had worked just fine in GA and TN (we had no problem aiming it there... and in TN we aimed right thru a tree canopy). We got out to NM and STILL couldn't hit a satellite (and we had aimed & moved our C-Band dish thru 3 states and 6 locations so it's not like we are total morons). Still have my DISH antenna and the (non-working) receiver box. So far cheaper to watch the Parks free cable. Too pricey to get a "tech" out to where ever we are to look at the idiot box (would have to pay by the mile just to get someone to show up... in NC that was 3 counties away... here in NM... who knows... probably Albuquerque and that is 70+ miles)
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #338
Site Team

Quote:
I've stayed in the bus for the past week just for the hell of it, plus to just kind of get used to it and to see if things worked
So, do you think you could fulltime it in the bus now that you've lived in it for a week?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #339
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

I bought a satellite internet dish for $150. The guy came out the house and screwed it to the wall, lined it up and left. I bought a used tripod had a friend weld up a mount to put the dish on the tripod. Took it off the wall thru it in the bus and took off. The software to line them up is free on the internet. Takes about half an hour to set it up. It was the cheapest thing I could do at the time. They didn't have cell phone internet. Its a nice independent feeling. I too avoid campgrounds and especially RV parks. Paying for somewhere to live is not in my budget. Thats why I have Wheels. I payed a lot for these tires and I'm damn well going to use them.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #340
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberglow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
Paying for somewhere to live is not in my budget. Thats why I have Wheels. I payed a lot for these tires and I'm damn well going to use them.
Well said!
Ditto. Hate rv parks anyhow. Don't mind them national or some state places though.

Smitty, I prob missed this somewhere but what are you using to get local weather updates? Fancy weather radio, laptop, ???
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote