Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #361
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Smitty's Bus

So I've been wondering if it's okay to have a generator exposed to the weather when driving down the road? Can you run it and pull power from the outlet even if it's getting rained on, or puddles splashing onto it? How well do they have to be protected from the weather? At some point I will need to mount one, and I'm wondering how exposed it can be. I can see yours is in a box, so it won't get completely swamped, but it looks like it will get wet in the rain.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #362
Almost There

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

Where is you cooling air coming from on that, Smitty? Also, I'm maybe just seeing it wrong, but I don't see a pipe exiting from under the body of the bus.

I had a small portable generator mounted to the rear bumper of a little travel trailer once. It was in a sheetmetal box with small louvred air-return vents on two sides. One side had a low current electric cooling fan sucking in that plugged into one of the two outlets--the exhaust was pointed out the other side. An RV cord cover plate which allows the cord exit to be nearly sealed came out of it. The whole thing wasn't much larger than the generator itself and completely protected the generator. It looked good and showed nothing of what it was unless it was running.

When I started converting this bus I bought a portable generator for $600, messed with it, didn't like any of the options I could think of for mounting it. I finally sold that generator and bought an enclosed RV gen that hangs under the body out of site, quiet, safe, smooth running, completley self contained. It was expensive but well worth it because we are electric everything.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #363
Almost There

You don't need the crazy picture; words would be sufficient. If you don't want comments, please say so instead of becoming hostile.

I didn't realize you were going to be running it with the lid off. I see a picture of a car with the hood open and I'm supposed to think that person drives it like that? It wasn't obvious. Probably still not ideal since no airflow is available around the motor. It's probably a 5hp engine in there. I think it needs venting for fresh air and heated air through the sides.

As to the exhaust, it's usual to have the tailpipe stick out past the body of the vehicle to prevent CO2 from building up underneath and possibly finding places to sneak into the vehicle. You've got that aimed straight back under the bus. A simple L and a single exhaust hanger would finish the job.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #364
Almost There

That's why every vehicle manufacturer in the world exits their tailpipes under the vehicle body?

When I want to worship your greatness, I'll come visit your bus thread again.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #365
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas

I hope I don't step on anyones toes. I took the exhaust from my gen. set and taped it into the exhaust from the bus motor...I have the gen. mounted right behind the rear wheel> I too removed the muffler from the gen. and mounted it under the bus from there into the exhaust pipe of the bus....
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #366
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Smitty- read your R.D.R.. Hahaha. It's funny how the pictures are mainly of the hollywood tough guys.
Yep, real men are a dying breed. I don't claim to know all the reasons why, but they're kind of an aside,really, anyway.
Yep, people expect you to be all nice and agreeable, and to smile while they shovel another load of **** down your gullet. People for the most part never really have taken the time to know and understand bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, etc.... no, instead, they just kill them and/or drive them away to the out of sight/out of mind places. So be it, I guess. I don't much care for most of these people I'm surrounded by these days, as much as I try- I just don't/can't see eye to eye with them about many things- important things (at least they're important to me, anyway) .

Even Geronimo was a Poser!!!
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #367
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

meh my 2 cdn cents on the exhaust.

imo all it needs to do is not vent in the following
- under a fuel door/spout
- under an opening door
- somewhere it can burn/hurt someone.

that is all.

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #368
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
gotta make more room in the country for more vinyl-villages so we can house more illegals taking American jobs.
CRaaaCk!! The sound of the whip.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #369
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Wouldn't it have more to do with useage than the size of your bank?

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #370
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: flatnosed
Chassis: amtran/bluebird/thomas
Engine: diesel

that's what she said