Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #381
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Smitty's Bus

So if I understand you Smitty, you are saying that it is better to have 3 batteries that you are able to keep charged, rather than 4 batteries that will not be getting fully charged. You still have access to the same amount of power either way (ie: what the solar panels can produce) but with fewer batteries they will last longer due to not running low all the time. Am I on the right track?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #382
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

not lost, just sidetracked for a bit.

Let me know how you fix. could you add another panel somewhere and fix it?
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #383
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Probably not gonna do much about it for a while. Still have a few adjustments to make here & there. It'd be a squeeze to add a 5th panel on the roof, but I'd drop a battery before adding another panel.

Smitty
Times 2 on the Trimetric. I measures the FLOW in and out of the battery bank, and isn't fooled by charging sources, or loads turned on and off like voltage monitors can be. It acts more like a true fuel tank gauge.

After installing it, re-charge your batteries fully, even if you have to run the genset for 2 days to do it. A few days on a shoreline might be preferred. Then run with solar off of the top half of the battery capacity, and start the genny when the meter says the solar isn't keeping up.

It is true that a too-large battery bank will not refill as well as a smaller one off of a too-small solar array, and dropping one battery will get the voltages (and battery health, assuming no deep discharges) back into range, but when you have the ability to store some extra juice, why not retain it? If there is a day when it is too rainy or you aren't feeling well enough to go out and run the genny, it would be nice to know that an extra day of your cooling your beer won't kill the battery cells.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #384
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Hiya Smitty!
Been a while since I've visited the board, but as usual, the amount of work you've done on your bus really blows me away. Great job! That's going to be a great home.
Sorry to read about your trouble with the PV panels. I see the largest panels Kyocera offer are 210. Not a huge difference, otherwise I'd ask if you'd thought of swapping a couple of them out for larger capacity. Oh well. It was a thought. There's still time to think about acquiring a tilting wind turbine that could be winched up like they have for sailboats (http://www.earthtechproducts.com/p4001.html) to help feed your batteries. I remember you wanted to get out to the desert for a while... good thing about the desert winds is they blow morning, noon and night. The wind turbine could work for you while the sun is down and supplement the PV panels during the day.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #385
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
TC- You know, I have been ready to post a MIA post for you, Muelskinner (Jackie), vanguy (Mitch), and a couple others.....good to hear from you! Hope things are getting better for you.....and it's just a matter of time before you're spending time with BOB-II
Indeed, my friend, things are improving. Time heals all wounds and all that B.S. Been working on getting the house marketable and watching the local real estate sales in hopes things are improving. Person next door just put their house on the market and I hope to ride their coat-tails to gain interest in my place. Been paying down all my debt and am super close to getting rid of my last loan!!! AND... am looking at buses online again... but have to keep telling myself to wait until I sell the house FIRST this time instead of getting into debt again. But it's hard with so many tempting buses available this time of year
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #386
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Indeed, my friend, things are improving. Time heals all wounds and all that B.S. Been working on getting the house marketable and watching the local real estate sales in hopes things are improving. Person next door just put their house on the market and I hope to ride their coat-tails to gain interest in my place. Been paying down all my debt and am super close to getting rid of my last loan!!! AND... am looking at buses online again... but have to keep telling myself to wait until I sell the house FIRST this time instead of getting into debt again. But it's hard with so many tempting buses available this time of year
Good to hear TC! Good luck with the house sale! There's always gonna be a bus out there for ya, just keep-on keepin'-on, you'll get there soon. Check-in more often....or else you'll have too much to catch-up on

Just as an update: I ain't been doing squat! Still living in the bus in the parking lot, and going Monday to try & find a new insurer (screw you Progressive!), which I have a line on.

Also, I had a slight (1.5") crach in the corner of my windshield, and thought I'd see about having it repaired...well....I've heard about the possibility of reflextix building-up heat & damaging glass, and it caused my crack to grow 5X its length, so now I'll be replacing 1/2 the windshield. Still wanting to do a week-long camping trip, but gotta wait for insurance 1st.

Heard on the news this AM there was a shooting in Pendleton (where I lived/had business). Found-out who it was through a friend, I knew the gal who was killed & her boyfriend who shot her & then himself....he never struck me as someone who'd do such a thing. She was a nice gal too (1/2 owner of The Diner)

http://heraldbulletin.com/local/x124378 ... -shootings

Smitty
Sorry to hear about the shooting Smitty. Sad happenings.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #387
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdfyrman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
Hi Smitty,
I don't know if it will fit you but I've been using HughesNet Satellite for internet when I'm on the road. I just set up the dish and I'm on anywhere I've been so far which has been west of the rockies and Mexico to the south. I don't know the exact footprint of the satellite so I don't know about your location. It's $59.99 a month. It's how I make money so it pays for itself for me. It was the only thing I could find that I could take to Mexico.
I think in most places in this country the cell phone connection is what most people use. They don't work where I live.
Jerry
I wouldn't give my hughesnet to my worst enemy. I have been trying to get out of my contract for over a year. Nothing but problems. Not to mention the humongusly ugly dish on the side of my house. It make the Sat. TV dish look attractive. Just so happens my bus is parked under it, The pics give you a little size ratio comparison if it was mounted on a bus some where But if that is your only option, you gotta do, what you gotta do.

i have a trypod

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:58 AM   #388
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMO-MONSTER
i have a trypod
Bragger

Smitty

alittle bit

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #389
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Hey Smitty, how about some pics of you livin' the good life in your bus?! Plus, I don't recall ever seeing a shot of the full interior view from front to back and also back to front once the bus was finished. C'mon man, keep us in the loop!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #390
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
...I'll be posting more once I hit the road....hopefully it won't be mechanical problems
But a trip's not a trip without SOME problems! At least that's been our experience.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote