Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
Re: Smitty's Bus

LMAO... Wouldnt that be a hoot to see?? Go to the drags to watch screamin fast fire breathing ground pounding drag cars and see a grudge race between two school busses!!???

http://www.spike.com/video/drag-racing-school/3157206

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #62
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

some ammo box seating would and a touch of flare
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #63
Skoolie

Don't forget to accent the bus with some gun ports along the sides and back too. And a turret on top would be a nice touch also.
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #64
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Nice entertainment center! This would call for an awning made of camo netting!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #65
Bus Nut

I figgured you were holding out on us, what no pink toys in the entertainment center?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #66
Bus Nut

I'm not sure that smitty can lift that gun... what with his having no knees (picking on short peoples), thanks to BFTL, and no back...not sure how that happened. ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Wow! Talk about adding "window treatments"?!?!

Looks like THIS is really what Smitty's planning to build in that shed...

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Ah but Smitty, you're going to lose all that space you could have used for insulation. The way you go on about that stuff, I figured you would have put in enough to have like R500!

Just teasin' ya!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

I like it. Most of the time I'm standing, I'm in the 30% of the bus right along the center. Keeping all that headroom makes huge sense.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

I had the same idea for stepped rafters, but with more insulation in the middle and less of a "step" at the sides. The space above the cabinets would have a fore-and-aft cooling duct with outlet vents at appropriate places, sort of like BFL Johnny has is his ceiling. Intake vents would be at toe level, and efficient electronics/computer fans would gently lift air through a riser duct hidden somewhere in the walls. This would be kind of like having a concealed ceiling fan.

The business end of any air conditioning or swamp cooler could cool the air in the riser, so the floor-level air would be cooled as it was lifted to the overhead vents.

In cold weather, either the fans would be reversible, or there would be an alternate "faller" (as opposed to "riser" ) that would take in the warm air near the ceiling and discharge it at your feet. The core from an under-seat heater or other heater core could be in the "faller" so the fans would circulate warmed air when the engine is running.

The rest of the space further back above the cabinets could be used for wiring ducts for low-voltage, high-voltage, photovoltaic and antenna wiring.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

I don't see why it wouldn't work, it wouldn't be any problem at all to "gang" build the trusses.

I would build the first one out of plywood or OSB as a pattern and then use it to make a cleated jig for assembling the rest of them. I've jig build lots of that sort of thing over the years and even if you cut each piece exactly the same on a radial arm or chop saw with a stop, things can go astray. What usually happens is they grow in size. When it came time to install, I would install the first one and the last one and then set the others to a string line so the ceiling would plane out nice.

...or

You could use 3/4" plywood for the trusses and put a 2"X2" cleat on the bottom for nailing/screwing. They would be easier to build, once you had a pattern you could use a router and a bearing supported, flush cutting bit to cut the others. This would also be lighter than building out of 2X lumber and not need any gang plates etc. This is how I would probably go about it.

With all that head room, I would consider lofting the bed in the rear and reaping all that storage underneath it.

Take care,
Den
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #72
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Is there going to be enough insulation in those corners. Looks like a bit in the middle and sides, but you have those corners where the middle and sides meet that will have alot less.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #73
Skoolie

Quote:
On the trusses, I'll use 2X4's with plywood webbing on the corners, and build a simple jig on a sheet of plywood. Plywood wouldn't be bad for the entire truss, but expensive as hell, due to the amount of waste.
Are you sure? You could get six trusses out of a $20 sheet of plywood if they weren't any more than 16" deep, seems like it would pretty close wash to me

Take care,
Den
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #74
Bus Nut

I think this is a great idea Smitty.

I was also thinking of doing my ceiling as a straight across truss, leaving a huge attic, which just felt like wasted space but simplified a lot of other things. Doing it this was would be a good compromise.

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #75
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
I think this is a great idea Smitty.

I was also thinking of doing my ceiling as a straight across truss, leaving a huge attic, which just felt like wasted space but simplified a lot of other things. Doing it this was would be a good compromise.

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

jim

It wouldn't be wasted space if you incorporated it into storage space if it was large enough. it would take a bit of creativity but I'm sure you could build several attic hatch's that drop down throughout the length of the bus. This would at least give you a place to store items (example: blankets and winter clothes during the summer months) not used often and open up other valuable storage spaces for more regularly needed items. You would just have to make sure that the material used to build the space would be strong enough to carry the weight. I wouldn't go putting any water tanks up there, because I wouldn't want a 300Lb + tank of water to come crashing down on someone because I hit a rough bump or bad craftsmanship. but as far as lighter stuff it would be a great place for off season or not used often items.

This is a good Idea, almost justifies raising the roof for me. lol

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #76
Skoolie

Gotcha!, you would get six if you had a 4 ft span! My coffee hadn't gotten to my brain yet LOL!

Take care,
Den
Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #77
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Yep- that is the one thing I wish I had to do over. I left the 1/2 ply, and used 1/2" foam board, and luan over that. Floors get chilly depending on wind. What we noticed out here in Oklahoma is so long as there is no wind we're toasty. A good breeze and you need sleeves, and a good pair of slippers. So, how can I fix this problem? Well, what I am planning on is to install under storage- while I'm down there, will be putting more foam up in the floor trussing. As an experiment I grabbed a bunch of hay bales, set up an "under penning" of sorts- presto problem solved. I took great care to seal the drafts, but the wind from under the bus cools it no matter what. That air space just needs to be blocked.

I have another idea- retractable under penning. Basically a rod with a tarp, when you stop roll it down- the weight of the rod will hold it down. A quick wind block. I have found even another RV parked next to us helps- hopes this sparks an idea for ya.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #78
Bus Nut

Last week I was surfing truck conversions and stumbled into ICT indiana custom truck the monster semi sleeper company, their standard specs for insulation is 3'' in the floor and 2'' for the walls, they also hae some neat looking floorplans for someone running the highway and not spending a lot of time living in their unit.
I like the coffered ceiling look of the step trusses, question, how much insulation do you need behind/above the upper cabinets if you plan on keeping them full and the doors closed?
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Hey Smitty, don't forget to take some pics!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Its funny watching someone tell the guy who normally bugs others for pictures, to remember to put up pictures. ^.^