Finally getting around to posting some pics.
Here's a shot of just a very small amount of wiring I'm puling out. This was just from the side compartment plugs that ran to dead ends. All art of the safety stuff specific to the former days as a school bus.
Once I had all the electrical cleaned out of the side compartment, I removed the box and cut the angled part where the switch panel used to be to make a place for a wooden shelf next to the driver. Two options for this space, if I can modify the shifter to left hand operation and fit it on the shelf I will. I'm also wanting to put a drink holder there as well. The wood I'm using is Cambara Mahogany. I bought about 1000 board ft. of it years ago. It was short length deck boards (about 5 and 7 ft. pieces). This stuff get's really nice looking with a finish on it. Much deeper than raw as in the photo. I'll use it for any woodwork in the cab but in the house section I have a lot of wild cherry I'll be using for cabinet faces and such).
The empty space where the electrical used to be is now where the power steering reservoir is to be located. The round one was in a very hard place to service and in the way if doing repairs. I built a square one from scratch using the fill neck and dipstick from the old one. Mounted it with thread-serts as I will the fuel filter. Gonna be much easier to gain access to, and eliminates 2 hoses that were hanging down under the engine just begging to get damaged. The hoses, filter and reservoir will now all be on the same side as the pump and steering box. Much shorter hose runs and much neater. Tomorrow I plan on mounting a filter head (dual oil filter, just something I had laying around) and getting the hoses run.
I'm also going to mount a fuel water separator (kept from my yacht tech days) in this same area. Holding it up for a bit of a test fit.
I'll be replacing the single fuel tank with dual 100 gallon tanks (the brackets) I'll build here in the future. I'll install the manual fuel and return valves on the back side of the box within easy reach of the driver.
While it's stupid hot here and high humidity, it feels good to finally be making even a little headway. Tomorrow when the hoses are all hooked up, I can mover Gimel around and give access areas a bath!! There's dirt in places one should not have dirt in this thing!!
The main reason I never pursued a career in automotive or truck repair was because of all the grit and grime you get into on these things. Gotta clean this mess up!!
After getting things cleaned up a bit, then to tackle the removal of the rear heater and the last hoses hanging under the engine.
Of course once I get this whole thing done concerning the cab I'll have to tear it apart and do the final sand, paint and such. If I do too much of that at this point I risk scratching work I've already done while doing other work. Better to get everything where I want it and do a final assembly after paint.