Old 06-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Re: Sojourner

Just fr fun, I've been looking at switches and such for when I redo the whole dash area. Instead of the traditional rocker switches of infinity, I'm looking at going with simplifying the controls a bit. For instance I'm planning on using a standard type headlight switch that incorporates dome and dimming functions instead of individual dedicated switches (that only work part time due to the dirt inside them). I'm thinking of using a single switch for the wipers as well. I don't know about you guys but when the wipers are doing their own thing individually it really distracts me. My eyes want to go chameleon . Here's thee switch I was thinking of. What do you all think?

http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/121/75600-01/

Trav.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #92
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner
Quote:
given my bus's interesting history
Do tell. Was it a FEMA prison bus or something like that ?
Maybe transferred Sasquatch's from the mother ship when seeding the planet?
Maybe Obama lived in it while in Indonesia?
Elvis owned it at one time (and has been seen driving it)?

All kinds of possibilities.
Oh I wish. It was initially owned and operated by DATTCO Bus Service and Sales in Connecticut contracted to the South Kingstown School District; sold to a pipeline company out in Wisconsin who used it as a crew bus; it was then sold to Gladney Bus PLC, in Cape St. Portugal New Foundland, where it sat. Because when I bought it, it still had the Wisconsin Apportioned tag, IFTA tax sticker, inspection sticker, and title still on it- which is now in civil litigation with the Superior Court of New Jersey to have me declared the bona fide owner, since the bureaucrats at NJ MVC won't accept the second block on the title since it was never flipped to NL tags.

There are switches on the panel that I have no idea where they go to, the security recording camera was tied into the stop arm solenoid for power; all sorts of fun stuff. Although I did find a bag of brand new foamy ear protectors, bug spray and sunscreen in the glove box. So bonus for me At least the engine and drive train are mechanically sound

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
I just cut it all out, and started from scratch.

Now no matter what happens, I can fix it because I wired it.

Nat
I figure once I'm living in my bus and sitting around with nothing to do, I will tackle it like you did.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #94
Bus Nut

Quote:
It will start if I push it over a hill in gear
I wanna see that one!!

I totally hear you though. Just having fun with use of the word "I". It is one of the benefits of having a standard trans. Those of us with automatics, well, gonna have to have a battery.

Trav.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #95
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16

Hey Sojourner, you said you were thinking of putting the windshield wipers on a single switch so they operate at the same time.
It won't work.
You still have separate individual wiper motors. They will never be exactly in sync with each other.
I have a single wiper switch on my Bird and this is exactly what happens when mine are on. They start out together but it doesn't take too long for one to be going at a slightly different speed from the other. I run the gamut from having them both together to having them 180 out of phase and back again.
Unlike you I want to add a second wiper switch so I can only use the passengers side when needed, which on highway isn't all that often. I find when I'm cruising in the right lane I tend not to use the right side of the windshield much at all.
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Hey orangepeel91,
I hear you. My wife and I were talking and she is all about giving her her own control for that side since I typically run a wiper much less than what she would like. I kinda like the idea of them both being on a single switch to operate when I want to with a lockout switch when I don't need it. I still have two switches but a lot less money than buying two intermittent capable switches.

Trav.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #97
Bus Nut

Finally getting around to posting some pics.

Here's a shot of just a very small amount of wiring I'm puling out. This was just from the side compartment plugs that ran to dead ends. All art of the safety stuff specific to the former days as a school bus.

Once I had all the electrical cleaned out of the side compartment, I removed the box and cut the angled part where the switch panel used to be to make a place for a wooden shelf next to the driver. Two options for this space, if I can modify the shifter to left hand operation and fit it on the shelf I will. I'm also wanting to put a drink holder there as well. The wood I'm using is Cambara Mahogany. I bought about 1000 board ft. of it years ago. It was short length deck boards (about 5 and 7 ft. pieces). This stuff get's really nice looking with a finish on it. Much deeper than raw as in the photo. I'll use it for any woodwork in the cab but in the house section I have a lot of wild cherry I'll be using for cabinet faces and such).

The empty space where the electrical used to be is now where the power steering reservoir is to be located. The round one was in a very hard place to service and in the way if doing repairs. I built a square one from scratch using the fill neck and dipstick from the old one. Mounted it with thread-serts as I will the fuel filter. Gonna be much easier to gain access to, and eliminates 2 hoses that were hanging down under the engine just begging to get damaged. The hoses, filter and reservoir will now all be on the same side as the pump and steering box. Much shorter hose runs and much neater. Tomorrow I plan on mounting a filter head (dual oil filter, just something I had laying around) and getting the hoses run.

I'm also going to mount a fuel water separator (kept from my yacht tech days) in this same area. Holding it up for a bit of a test fit.

I'll be replacing the single fuel tank with dual 100 gallon tanks (the brackets) I'll build here in the future. I'll install the manual fuel and return valves on the back side of the box within easy reach of the driver.

While it's stupid hot here and high humidity, it feels good to finally be making even a little headway. Tomorrow when the hoses are all hooked up, I can mover Gimel around and give access areas a bath!! There's dirt in places one should not have dirt in this thing!!
The main reason I never pursued a career in automotive or truck repair was because of all the grit and grime you get into on these things. Gotta clean this mess up!!

After getting things cleaned up a bit, then to tackle the removal of the rear heater and the last hoses hanging under the engine.

Of course once I get this whole thing done concerning the cab I'll have to tear it apart and do the final sand, paint and such. If I do too much of that at this point I risk scratching work I've already done while doing other work. Better to get everything where I want it and do a final assembly after paint.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Look Ma!! No hoses!!

I had to take a break from the projects that are keeping me from working on Gimel full time and do something on it. even is a small thing. I drained the coolant a few days ago while doing some other things.

I finally got the rear heater removed and the hoses that were dangling under the forward cross member removed.

Here's what it looked like before:

Here's now.

I still want to address the extra long transmission cooler hose. It looks like something on par with aeroquip type fittings. If so, I can take it apart, shorten the hose and make it lay properly.

Needless to say it's nice to have normal ground clearance.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Yeah, those "before" shots were horrifying. That would drive me nuts.

When you start to take a day off or two days off and the breaks start getting longer and longer, it's good to just start doing one little thing at a time. I was getting a little depressed for a while when I didn't see a lot of progress, and the longer I waited, the less likely I was to do anything. Then I started doing very small projects—a little here and a little there—and before you know it, I was working fairly regularly. Now I'm back to looking forward to my days off from work so I can get started on my next project. Plus, I'm to the point now where I can start seeing exactly what it's going to be like to live in the space, so it feels good to just go out and sit in the air conditioned interior and look around at the inside of my future home.

My first passion is photography. Visit my website to see some of my work.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #100
Bus Nut

Yea PDBreske, I totally hear you. Unsecured hoses and wires are not something I tolerate well. My previous career drove that into me permanently. Loose things fly apart usually when you're 50 miles offshore. I'm thinking of how (now that I don't have hoses to protect it ) to build some sort of guard in front of the oil pan since it hangs pretty low as well. Kinda ironic, we all buy these things partly for the ground clearance and the most critical part of the engine is hanging just a few inches off the ground just begging to get thumped. If there was an honest to goodness way to dry sump the engine one could modify the oil pan to lose the dropped down portion of it.
I made a commitment to myself to finish some unfinished projects around the farm before allowing myself to work on Gimel as my main priority. It's a self discipline measure to get some things done and also to facilitate clearing room in my shop to bring it indoors for the major metal fab stage of things. Every couple weeks or so I have to start it up, if nothing more than, just to hear it run or drive it to a different location on our property. There are lots of small things that can be done in the meantime though. I need to do a brake job all around, replace the shocks, replace the rear wheel bearing seals and repack the front wheel bearings. That should take care of the chassis work for now anyhow. There's a vibration coming from the right front tire that is scalloped a good bit. All the links and kingpins are tight as are the bearings so I'm thinking a new set of tires and shocks should take care of it along with balance beads. There's so much I want to change on this to make it simpler and easier down the road to do repairs. Also, one of the things I'm looking into is putting clear lenses on, what were, the front and rear flasher lights and using them for flood lights. This would keep me from having to blank out the holes (which always look a bit odd anyhow) and re-purpose some hardware.