Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #131
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44
Re: Sojourner

VERY nice! Love the design, how the tank frames push on each other. Great work!
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #132
Site Team

how do the jacks work? I didnt see a handle for cranking?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

Bansil wrote
Quote:
how do the jacks work? I didn't see a handle for cranking?
I took the crank handles out when I shortened the jacks up. I cross drilled a 1/2" bolt to make a new crank shaft. The jacks will be behind a door in the side panels when I get through skinning the under storage. When I want to set them up I'll reach (crawl) under and release the drop leg pin and lower the leg. Re-install the pin and open the door to that jack and use a cordless drill (modified with a 12VDC cord supplied by an accessory plug just inside each door) with a 3/4" socket and extension to lower them down. I'll do the final adjustment with a hand crank. Lori and I want as much mechanical on this project so we can operate and repair as needed without all that fancy stuff nowadays.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #134
Bus Nut

Got the water tank bracket made and hung this week. I don't have the straps installed. I'll wait until the final assembly to strap everything in. As with the fuel tanks I'm using mobile home straps and anchors to retain the 55 gallon drum I'm using as the main water tank. I'll have 4 straps holding up (they're rated at around 3500 lbs. each) the tank with 2 holding down. I positioned the tank just aft of the differential as this seemed like the logical location. The differential (still trying to find a 4.10 ratio ) and axle will protect the tank from impact damage and I can use the weight to soften the ride a bit (hope springs eternal ).

Next to work on the rear stabilizer jack mounts.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 09-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #135
r_w
Skoolie

Pumpkin as your skid plate, makes sense to me.

I would have though a barrel would sit higher than that. That space seems so much bigger until you try to fill it.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #136
Bus Nut

A 55 gallon drum is 22.5" across and 34" long. The frame rails are 10" and there's a 1/2" thick pad the body sits on top of on the frame rails. I'm building understorage that will hang down 20" from the bottom of the body frames. The water tank will hang just below that about 2" when done. I was gonna put 2 barrel back there but will angle part of the undertorage to meet the bumper. Didn't want Gimel to look like it was giving birth to a blue barrel so we're going with only one..

Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #137
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L 12v Cummins @ 230HP Allison MD 3060
Rated Cap: 33,000 lb GVW

Hello fellow busser!

I love your barrel-ponics systems. I have been playing with ideas to have a portable greenhouse on my bus, particularly in the back portion which has been sectioned off for storage. I think a couple barrels would allow for productivity with transportability! I just miss my yard-grown tomatoes while herbs haven't been a issue since they are so small... Thanks for the inspiration! Im gonna give it a try, perhaps while trying to recycle some of my grey water….

I look forward to seeing how your bus unfolds.

Have fun!

(p.s. I went to Clemson if that gives me any SC cred hahaha)
WinslowtheBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #138
Bus Nut

Hey WinslowtheBluebird,
Thanks for the comments. Sure wish Clemson would get a hold of aquaponics. They've been to my place on a couple occasions and just can't seem to get their head around the combination of aquaculture and agriculture. Strange. Anyhow, you might check out the other system I have as well. It has a lot more production in about the same footprint with less power usage. You can see it at http://www.myaquafarm.com.

So where's home these days? Do you ever come to SC?

Trav.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #139
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

Sorry I'm so late on this info but according to my information you shouldn't run a diesel engine at an rpm lower than max torque rpm. The cummins people say that you get your best fuel economy at about 200 rpm over max torque. Instead of changing the rear end gears you might look at going to say a Allison 3060 transmission which has two overdrives in a six speed transmission .75 and .65 which should give the speed and economy your looking for plus it is a lockup transmission which also contributes to better economy. The trans is found in various buses and fire trucks but does require a computer which is programmable
to lock out 6th gear which is usually the way you find it in a school bus.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #140
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

The computer issue has stalled many projects where a 6-speed Allison was involved. Getting the right harness alone can be a bear and Allison will not reprogram a 5 speed into 6 without written authorization from the builder of the unit it is in or going in.

The new generation 2000 series have exactly the same double OD gearing but do NOT require a computer or exotic harness. They ain't cheap, but I have spoken with a couple of guys who have much more than the $9500 bucks Allison gets for the new units invested in trying to match an older Allison to various engines. The new units have a single, built in processor and only require a TPS (throttle position sensor) to talk to any motor. The unit then figures out (learns) when to shift, lock up, etc.

I am only familiar with this because an Allison 6 speed, double OD was what I wanted (make that.."needed") behind my Cummins 4bt and spent a year or so doing homework. Got lucky in that the new trans just came out as I was about to give up. My Cummins is the older "two-wire" motor that is sans any form of computer whatsoever and based on what I read following numerous threads on the topic, it would have been a nightmare to pull off going the 645 or 3060 route.

I'm not saying that every engine will pose these issues when paired with an older Allison 5/6 speed but you definitely need to chase down all the components and confirm the "programability" before jumping in. I wound up with a custom built 2200MH through Stewart & Stevenson and was very impressed at the amount of work they put in before even starting on building it. I still have the 15 page analysis they did to determine every parameter.

Best of luck, hope this helps a bit (Love them Allisons).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote