Old 09-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #151
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Re: Sojourner

Hey cowlitzcoach,
Auburn, WA. Now if only I still lived in WA state. I hear you on all points and am aware of the issues with Hp/Torque and gearing. I was a Marine mechanic for over 25 years and dealt with that on a daily basis. That tranny sounds fun but can't afford that kind of investment right now. Thanks for the offer though. I have 4.78 gears in it right now and think 4.10's should do fine. Lot's of flats here and very little in the way of long hills and mountains like out west.

As far as water tanks go, I plan on only traveling with the water tank completely full as I need the extra weight to soften the ride a bit. Grey water on the other hand, is always empty when traveling.

Thanks for the comments!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Hey jazty,
Thanks for the comments.
They clear the ground (fully retracted) by 16" just behind the wheel to minimize midship clearance issues. They came stock 4" too tall though and had to be completely disassembled, chopped, cranks removed, crankshafts rebuilt using 1/2" bolts and re-assembled.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 10-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Got the grey water tank bracket made and the tank temporarily hung. As with the other brackets, the straps and tensioners will go on after the hot dip galvanizing.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #154
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD Inline 6-71 MidShip
Rated Cap: 79

Great work on the tanks and support framing!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #155
Bus Nut

Pulled off the framing I've been working on as we have a load of stuff going to the hot dip galvanizers this week at work. Gonna be cool to see what things look like finally installed. Last sunday my son and I sheared and broke the parts for the fuel tanks as well. Gonna have to get those welded up so I can get them installed when putting the brackets back in.

I asked a while back and got no answer so I'm going to ask again.
When skinning the windows, how are you all attaching the top of the skin to the sides?
Are you drilling out all the rain gutter rivets, slipping the sheet metal under the roof piece, re-drilling and re-riveting the whole thing? Just wondering what is working for everyone else? I'm thinking ahead a bit but this has been on my mind.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #156
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner
Pulled off the framing I've been working on as we have a load of stuff going to the hot dip galvanizers this week at work. Gonna be cool to see what things look like finally installed. Last sunday my son and I sheared and broke the parts for the fuel tanks as well. Gonna have to get those welded up so I can get them installed when putting the brackets back in.

I asked a while back and got no answer so I'm going to ask again.
When skinning the windows, how are you all attaching the top of the skin to the sides?
Are you drilling out all the rain gutter rivets, slipping the sheet metal under the roof piece, re-drilling and re-riveting the whole thing? Just wondering what is working for everyone else? I'm thinking ahead a bit but this has been on my mind.

Thanks for any help.

Saw a build on here where they attached angle iron along the top of the window frame and riveted the window skins to this. Looked like it worked well.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #157
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner
Got the grey water tank bracket made and the tank temporarily hung. As with the other brackets, the straps and tensioners will go on after the hot dip galvanizing.

[img]http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac350/
A_bus_named_Sojourner/100_1813_zpsb0e89ec9.jpg[/img]

they look great. those tank brackets look incredibly strong. i which i had something like that for the under bay compartments on my bus and to mount my generator.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #158
Bus Nut

dgorila1, thanks for the info. That's a great idea! Gonna look into that one for sure. There is a place or two where the RV windows I am using will force me to remove a section of driprail. Other than that, I really don't want to go there if not needed.

proconsul100, yea, I'm kinda paranoid about hanging too much weight from the floor braces. I try to make sure the frames are close or bolted onto crossmembers as well to keep from twisting the frame (as if I really could). The understorage boxes will hang from the floor channels and I will be bolting the angle iron longitudinal's to every one of them to spread the load across the whole substructure.
I'm working on a similar lash up for the propane storage drawer. Just got a pair of 600lb. 30" drawer slides for that. Wish I had gotten two sets now (coulda saved on shipping) as I'm thinking of using something like that for the solar battery bank.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #159
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

I have a Thomas but it has the one long drip rail like yours. I just shoved the panels up underneath the drip rail as much as I could. Riveted the three sides. Drove it to the paintbooth and the tops rattled terrible. While at paint booth I bought, I think it was locktite brand adhesive. Pushed the panels out just enough to glue the tops in and have never had a problem since. Plus ran sealer all the way around the old window opening from the inside. I'd do it again.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #160
Bus Nut

What size drums do you have for the tanks, or are they just for mockup? I never considered it but standard plastic drums like that would work great for waste tanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote