Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #341
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger that. The A10 was built around the 30 mm GAU 8. We did have some Phantoms flying the M-61's way back when.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #342
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Bad ass! And once you get the rest of the armor plate installed it should be REALLY cool.

BTW...just saw this on Craig's List and thought of you...

Slightly used 20mm Vulcan M61
Need cash quick. Make offer.
El Chapo Guzman
Well, that should certainly help beef up home security!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #343
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
We chose the all American for its tall center aisle. We are not raising since we are unskilled and do not have the tools for such an involved process. I'm thinking of putting a skylight in the shower for added height. There will be an outdoor shower that I plan to use more than inside.
LandLubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #344
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Been a little while since I last posted. Finally sold some items so I now have some funds to progress with. Like EastCoastCB the weather has been unbearable with humidity so high one sweats do bad it's hard to see sometimes. Anyhow, I needed an argon tank for my TIG but didn't want to spend the $300 it costs for a new one. Found an almost full one locally for $125. It registered 2800psi on the gauge. Happy dance.
A friend called me yesterday saying he found 17 gauge galvanized sheet metal for $16.25 per 4x10 sheet at the metal scrap yard. I told him to get me 10 sheets. Offloaded them this morning. To me they looked a bit on the thin side. Just checked the thickness and they're 20 gauge. Bummer. Still a good deal. It will work for skinning the basement just fine as there's very little actual skin in the first place but I'm a bit concerned on skinning above the top rub rail to the drip edge. Since we decided not to raise the roof there isn't a large span. I'll be removing the bazillion rivets at the drip rail and connecting the skin with rivets or machine screws with lock nuts. Any thoughts on using 20ga to skin where the windows originally were our possibly removing the drip rail altogether?
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #345
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
20 gauge is mighty light. Most bus skins run from about 16 minimum. Blue Bird uses an oddball 15-ish gauge made to their specs and some older units had 14 gauge which is quite heavy. My window deletes and door are 14 just' cause I like heavy, but personally I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than whatever the body sheet metal happens to be.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #346
Bus Nut

The skirts originally were 16 ga. This is why when I thought I was getting 17ga it would be fine. Wish I knew of a place that could put a shallow corrugation in them to stiffen a bit.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #347
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
For what you're using them for I think you'll be fine. It may not be *ideal* but will definitely do the job.
And man, you aren't kidding about the heat. Its stifling.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #348
Bus Nut

Just for fun.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #349
Bus Nut

Shower vs roof raise I was contemplating this issue my self, and my conclusion is to do a wet bathroom like is done in most tiny homes that way I wouldn't be fighting trying to find shower stall to fit the awkward space. If needed I would just make a redwood bench to sit and shower.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #350
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Wood has no place in a shower.

Unless you like mold, and rot.

And it don't matter what you treat it with.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #351
Skoolie

How about a sauna? It's made of wood isn't it?

Not strong enough to hold it's own against direct water you think?
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #352

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
How about a sauna? It's made of wood isn't it?

Not strong enough to hold it's own against direct water you think?
A sauna is heated to over 100 and not subject to continuous running water on a daily basis. It would seem that they are not the same.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #353
Bus Nut

Redwood or Cedar won't rot thats why they are used in boats and boat docks all the time and it you keep them clean and use polyurethane they won't get any more moldy than tile.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #354
Bus Geek

Do what ever you want with wood.

The reality is this. Anything over 19% moisture and wood starts to mold / rot.

My lungs can't take mold. That's why I only use wood as facings for visual appeal in places not exposed to water.

Cedar and redwood have natural oils in them that Slow down the rot. They still rot, just much slower than other woods.

We live in a age of many products to choose from that Can take the moisture.
So, what is your health worth to you?

And be sure to post pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #355
Bus Nut

Fine since you are all hung up on the wood aspect of it you can get shower and bath benches made from plastic and metal. They are often sold for helping who can't stand up to take showers and baths. Most large cities have disability supply stores that should have those products. Also it is a day long project to make a new bench, burn the old one when you decide it has to go. To me that makes a lot more sense than ripping off the roof because you want a better shower.
On a long long enough time line everything rots, even metal and plastic sure it may take 10,000 years.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #356
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
My lungs can't take mold. That's why I only use wood as facings for visual appeal in places not exposed to water.

Cedar and redwood have natural oils in them that Slow down the rot. They still rot, just much slower than other woods.

We live in a age of many products to choose from that Can take the moisture.
So, what is your health worth to you?

If a certain person on this site was truly "so concerned about their health and others" wouldn't they take the time to look at their surroundings and make some changes.

Doesn't he know that dirt is nothing more than years & years & years of trees, bushes, leaves & who knows what else rotting and turning into the very dirt he walks on (and evidently has no problem with his child crawling around on)

.....and I'm sorry that his only experience with the interior of buses have to do with water. I have been inside many bus conversions and I don't recall the smell of mold or rotted wood being the fragrance of the day.

I have been around boats for many years, I know the smell and I know how it got there. That was always the first thing I looked for when buying a boat. I do not have a boat I have a bus.

I personally feel that, yes I am equipping my bus with wood....and I like the warmth & the feel of it and hopefully my feeble mind will care when leaks & problems arise & will make repairs.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #357
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post

Doesn't he know that dirt is nothing more than years & years & years of trees, bushes, leaves & who knows what else rotting and turning into the very dirt he walks on (and evidently has no problem with his child crawling around on.
That's some funny $hit right there.

You again show your intelligence level.

There is no dirt build up in my home. Further more, the amount of mold in dirt outside is very little. The composting is done, and the "Dirt" is now soil.

Also not all "Dirt" was made from rotting plants. Clay, sand, ect were never part of that cycle.

Top soil, coal, ect were all made from decomposing vegetation. However, there is no "Mold" left in it.

Last, the rotting plants, leaves ect are all outside In a well ventilated area like they belong. Not indoors creating a toxic breathing atmosphere.

I made changes in my home for the good of my health. There is no rotting wood in my home.

You need to research how toxic indoor air is in older homes due to use of the wrong building materials used.

Mold in homes is very real problem. That's why there are products on the market to replace the use of wood in wet locations.

If you or any other member wishes to poison their breathing air, go ahead. The faster the better.

The info I post is for the people with a IQ high enough to understand it.

For the record, I do a fair bit of landscaping. So I myself play in the "dirt" and love every minute of it. For the reasons I pointed out, it does not effect my breathing like living in a moldy mess of a home.

Now quit derailing this thread. Take this $hit to your thread if you want to get into a IQ pissing match.

Nat

Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #358
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
My first apartment was insulated with ASBESTOS. In the walls and ceilings.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #359
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
As I see it the problem we are having is a regional thing. Nat has
a good basis of what a high humidity area is like and others live in
area with low or no humidity. In Arizona they give a humidity indicator
with the weather report because some times it can rain and not
touch the ground. Wood rot and mold are almost non existent in
most of Arizona where I plan to go shortly. I grew up in eastern
Oregon and thought humidity in Seattle was bad until at 20 years
of age I went east of the Mississippi and couldn't believe people
could actually live in that stuff.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #360
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Thought I'd NEVER say this, but I prefer some humidity as opposed to the 17% humidity of the California valley where the dust is more prevalent than water. Sneezing brown dirt out of my sinuses hurt after 36 hours of being there.... Just sayin'.......