Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Re: Sojourner

That is one BIG BUS! The edge of the world pic is terrifying! I'm glad you successfully made it home - sounds like you know what's really up with the bus. Looking forward to your conversion

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedeal.ink
Scary pic of the bus on the edge, looking forward to more on this one.
Here is scary.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

Total bummer!! I know the feeling. I had a hard time sleeping that night for me. I was concerned I might be able to see the differential while looking from above in the morning. These type things are never a comforting moment!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71

What's the overall length on that thing? It's massive! Very very cool.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
Site Team

great pics and wow mine is 34 foot bumper to bumper....your's must be 45 feet!!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Bus Nut

What's the overall length on that thing? It's massive! Very very cool.

It's 40ft. Since it's going to be a full time liveaboard we wanted to go as big as we could get. Since it's a front engine, the wheelbase is short enough to drive quite nicely. Even with no mods to the engine cover the engine is surprisingly quiet. When I took Lori for a spin when arriving home we were able to hold a conversation even while she was sitting in the row across from me. Once we get the cover re-insulated and sealed properly it should be nice and quiet. I also took a look around things yesterday to see what could be moved to gain better access to the engine and get hoses and such re-routed to allow better ground clearance (I hate things hanging and dangling (carryover from working on boats)). I think I can move the power steering reservoir to the inside of the electrical access once most of that is removed. This will shorten the hose to it and get it from out of the engine compartment. I'm also looking at removing the entire skirt around the bus and remaking a new one that will have storage compartments and better fuel fill access (the bus fuel door thing is way to funky for my taste). I'm looking at adding an additional fuel tank to the other side of the frame. It looks like there are holes to mount another fuel tank cage. The battery will be moved to the area that is now the step well once the new door is framed in. Needless to say, once I get to working on this, it's gonna take a while. Gonna be fun, but take a while.
Trav
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Went to the DMV today. WHen I walked up to the counter I told the lady I wanted to title my bus as an RV. She asked if I had it inspected and I asked where do I get that done and how do I do it without a tag of some sort? She began writing down a phone number for the state DMV office and I told her I had already talked to them before the purchase to find out if it was possible. at that she went to talk with her supervisor. When she got back she said no problem. She just needed my license, a receipt for the sale, the title and a form 400. She gave me a form 400, a pen and directed me to the counter to fill out my paperwork. Once done I returned to the counter and things went pretty smoothly. There was one thing a bit different on the original title though in that the title says the make was Genesis. I had always thought the model was a Genesis and the Make was AmTrans. The title will read Genesis make and model. So it will be titled a Genesis, Genesis Motorhome in the state of SC. $148.75 later and in 2 weeks the title should be mailed to me. Gonna wait until I put it on the road to get the tags for it. Anyhow, pretty painless after a few strange looks from the people at the counter. That hurdle is now over with!!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Site Team

Congrates...now you can drive to the home improvement store to pick up that 1 2x4 you forgot
I alwaysfind "excuses" to drive.....Lisa says "you can fit that 2x4x96 board in your truck"

But honey I need a 10 foot one and it might rain so the bus makes more sence....that is always an awesome $50 pc of wood!

She just rolls her eyes and says your childish...I just bring up the fire truck I want...she says take the bus...wooowwoooo
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Bus Nut

My wife is so into this project that. other than the fuel cost to do so, she'd have me drive her to the store to get groceries in it. She can't wait until we get this conversion done nd start living full time in it. Right now though we don't have tags on it and won't until we actually get it on the road. I'm always finding excuses to crawl under it though and ly there looking at things I want to change.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
Bus Nut

I've got this crazy idea. While going over this bus and looking at things I want to change. One of the things we've come to consider is using Semi truck doors and install them on each side of what will become the cab. I'm thinking it will be much easier to enter and exit the cab without having to crawl over the engine cover. Has anyone here done anything like that? Any ideas? I'm thinking of trying to purchase a Peterbilt cab and salvage the doors and sides and integrate them into the bus cab. I'm also wanting to replace the totally lame dash cluster with a more complete Semi truck style with a greater compliment of gauges to monitor the mechanics of the bus.