Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #421
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You should come down, give me a hand raising my roof, and take these windows you want!
That would be fun but alas I can't get away from the farm for very long these days.

We're looking at land as well where our current dilemma will not be possible.

On another note, does anyone know where I might find the pins and sockets used in the harness connectors on the mid ninety's international school buses? I'd like to modify the harness and do a "factory" job.

sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #422
Bus Nut

To those looking for the connectors in the international wiring harnesses,I think I found them:
http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/De...820#Categories

They're also available on eBay.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #423
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
That's the same size and style I use when I'm rebuilding harnesses on my motorcycles, interesting. Though they have a special crimp tool to make the perfect crimp, if you're only going to be using a few it isn't worth the price and can be done with needle nose and a little patience.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #424
Bus Nut

Turns out these are the wrong ones. The shank is not long enough. Sure wish I could find the correct ones.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #425
Bus Nut

Busy saw the movie "Independence Day Resurgence". Apparently a school bus can survive an alien invasion. Add one new reason to build a Skoolie ��������.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #426
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the connectors on my bus look like standard Molex connectors... though everything I have been taking apart and re-wiring I have been using GMC style weatherpak connectors..
JEGS Performance Products 10750 | Buy JEGS Weatherpack Connectors at JEGS

I like these esp under the hood as they are water proof... they are pretty easy to install and hold up well..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #427
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the connectors on my bus look like standard Molex connectors... though everything I have been taking apart and re-wiring I have been using GMC style weatherpak connectors..
JEGS Performance Products 10750 | Buy JEGS Weatherpack Connectors at JEGS

I like these esp under the hood as they are water proof... they are pretty easy to install and hold up well..

-Christopher
Thanks for the suggestion. I've rerouted the wiring harness under the floor along the frame rail.easier to get to when troubleshooting the lights they service and ridding myself of having to deal with the extra wiring in the roof area. Any crimp-on connectors are the shrink and seal type I've used on boat wiring in the past. All other connectors are in dry concealed areas. I've checked around through various resources but no one seems to know who made these connectors or where to get replacement parts. Very strange. Apparently they were so good they simply didn't need repair or the buses were just sold before they ever became an issue. In my case, it was operator error that caused the problem, not the connector. Anyhow, I do have a collection of Packard # 56 style parts that I can replace it with. They're not water resistant as the ones suggested but I'm not putting plugs in places where they can get wet either. That's the first defense against corrosion.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #428
Bus Nut

Been working as I get time and finances. Was working on the new dashboard and couldn't wait to dry fit the gauges.

Still lots to do with switches and indicator lights. Once everything is drilled and sanded, then I need to get it anodized to give it some color.

Gonna be fun to sit behind this some day!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #429
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #430
Bus Nut

I'm also considering an engine turned look.
This stuff looks very interesting:
Vinyl Decal Stock

Old 08-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #431
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Been working as I get time and finances. Was working on the new dashboard and couldn't wait to dry fit the gauges.

Very nice.

(....we need a "Like" button on here....).

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #432
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Corp
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

Still lots to do with switches and indicator lights. Once everything is drilled and sanded, then I need to get it anodized to give it some color.

That is awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Lots of life to live.
Ryannmelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #433
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I dig that!!! looks nice and custom.. almost like a peterbilt panel which i love!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #434
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I dig that!!! looks nice and custom.. almost like a peterbilt panel which i love!!
-Christopher
The Peterbilt corvette dash is the inspiration behind this one. Took the concept and adapted it to the space in my bus. All the gauges are, in fact, vintage Peterbilt gauges. I recalibrated the tach to work on my International DT408.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #435
Bus Nut

Haven't posted many pics in a while so here goes.
While the stock mirrors are good at showing you what's going on, they are a somewhat gangly mess and not very "elegant". I fabricated some new brackets and am reusing the stock mirrors to get a more "West Coast" style:

I've also been blanking out the light holes and marquis window. Good thing too!! There wasn't 1/8" of overlap on the cutout with the rubber seal. Needless to say, water had been leaking inside. Not anymore!! I also purchased a 300 watt LED light bar in case some additional illumination is requires while boon-docking.

In this photo, you can see I have no headlights. I'm upgrading from the 35 watt stock headlamps that came with the bus to 100 watt H4 Halogens. This requires a total rewire with heavier gauge wires and new relays with the lights getting their power directly from the battery. I'm waiting on some heavy duty connectors to wire the lights in:

View from the back with windows, flasher lights and marquis window blanked. By the way, all these panels are sealed with Sikaflex marine sealer. No more leaks!!

I also replaced all the turn signal, brake, backup and running lights. Some with stock (which I will put in LED bulbs) and some outright LED fixtures (running lights).

No real need to explain these pics. Anyone who's done this knows what it means when the back of the bus looks like this. Oh yea, the ugliness begins!! I must say, two crowbars used together pops the panels right up!!

This picture hints at why I'm doing the floors now. Not only to deal with some minor rust but I'm relocating the battery to a bracket under the floor between the frame rails. I had to remove the stock battery box when I built the two fuel tanks. When finished, a hatch in the floor will give us access to the battery box (full plastic enclosure) from within the cabin to service the battery. The plastic battery box will keep any chance of battery acid dripping on the driveshaft which could lead to a very bad day. I'm using a marine box designed to catch anything a battery might "ooze". It also has the advantage of shortening the battery cables.

After getting all the floor panels out, the screws removed, I power washed the inside floors and sides to clean up the never ending flow of Texas dust from inside. I found out that the easiest way to remove the tar-like patches used to stick the old insulation in place is to pressure wash the patches. It strips it off easily with no chemicals or messy wire brushing. Now things are MUCH cleaner:

Once the battery boxes (one for starting and the other for solar system) are installed in the floors and the entry door relocated I'll then treat the rust and paint the floor.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #436
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Don't forget to adequately vent that battery box...
I know it should go without saying, but just in case!

Wouldn't want a fellow Skoolie aficionado to get poisoned
Old 09-10-2016, 05:42 AM   #437
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Don't forget to adequately vent that battery box...
I know it should go without saying, but just in case!

Wouldn't want a fellow Skoolie aficionado to get poisoned
I totally hear ya . The box itself is vented and will sit in a frame well below the floor so there's plenty of air circulation around it. The hatch (access to remove the battery box cover and then access the battery) will have a weatherstrip to keep both vapors and cold air from seeping in and will be latched down into place. Having been a marine tech as my career, I have a built in concern for things that make fumes in confined spaces.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #438
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
I totally hear ya . The box itself is vented and will sit in a frame well below the floor so there's plenty of air circulation around it. The hatch (access to remove the battery box cover and then access the battery) will have a weatherstrip to keep both vapors and cold air from seeping in and will be latched down into place. Having been a marine tech as my career, I have a built in concern for things that make fumes in confined spaces.

Oh heck! You got this then!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #439
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You may or may not have some issues down the road with that lightbar up front. Most states and I believe some Fed regs have a limit on how high up white lights on the front of a vehicle can be and I have heard of some skoolies having to cover or remove them. There has been some discussion on this here so you might want to look into it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #440
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You may or may not have some issues down the road with that lightbar up front. Most states and I believe some Fed regs have a limit on how high up white lights on the front of a vehicle can be and I have heard of some skoolies having to cover or remove them. There has been some discussion on this here so you might want to look into it.
Thanks for the heads up. A cover would be no problem to make if need be.