Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #621
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
All of the modern houses and buildings I have worked on were sheathed in OSB. My outbuilding roof is sheathed in 7/16 exterior OSB. The exterior grade OSB uses a water proof glue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board
Neat ! Looks like they fixed the glue, but did they fix the properties of wood fibers?

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #622
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my house was built with the exterior stuff on the outside.. we had an extended.. several day rain event during its construction.. the facade was to have been brick and was buikt as vinyl.. the cinyk was ripped off by the errant vinyl company .. they also took down the homewrap in that section... the bricks werent started till after the rain event... that OSB was a mushy nasty mess.. I made them tear it all off and replace it.. I have pics of it someplace. on an old webserver.. it was nasty.. and was supposedly the exterior stuff.. i have no idea whether the glue or the wood failed, and i realize that the front of thew house took way more water on than a small leak in a school bus would provide..but still I wasnt impressed..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #623
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's true they use OSB on houses as exterior sheeting, but it's still not designed to be exposed to the elements. It's meant to be vertical and it's use in construction is meant to be covered by weather shielding siding.

Using it as flooring should work in theory, until you have a spill in your bus that soaks into the floor. It will happen at some point, the spill I mean.

As mentioned previously, you do not want to have to redo your floor a number of years down the road. There are some things you just don't skimp on.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #624
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Let's just face it.

OSB is not suitable for use in a vehicle, however many people decide to use it.

Folk have to make the decisions they feel comfortable with, and I have zero argument with them for doing so. Others reading this thread deserve to hear the other side of the argument though.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #625
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It's true they use OSB on houses as exterior sheeting, but it's still not designed to be exposed to the elements. It's meant to be vertical and it's use in construction is meant to be covered by weather shielding siding.

Using it as flooring should work in theory, until you have a spill in your bus that soaks into the floor. It will happen at some point, the spill I mean.

As mentioned previously, you do not want to have to redo your floor a number of years down the road. There are some things you just don't skimp on.
They use it for roofs here. I'm not condoning it, but they do.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #626
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They use it for roofs here. I'm not condoning it, but they do.
my roof underlayment is OSB.. and then there is roofing paper, then shingles over it.. I see a lot of roof decking get yanked and replaced when a house is re-roofed here.. regardless of guidelines and what people "claim", NO ONE replaces a roof that doesnt leak unless it is part of a major storm event and the insurance company will replace it ..

the common Ohio built house is just basement blocks, trusses, OSB floor, studs, then some styrofoam type sheathing, TyVec homewrap on the walls.. then vinyl siding or brick..

my house I had them at least put OSB then the TyVec then vinyl or brick..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #627
Bus Geek

The short answer is NO we would not use that on our buses. It's still a personal choice.

I wouldn't make cabinets out of OSB because they wouldn't hold up. I also would not expect the traffic area of a floor make of OSB to hold up.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #628
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
OK, got back on the door install. I'm awaiting some 12ga. metal to do the step well with and decided to begin working on the outside step arrangement. I didn't want (or think it was a good idea) to have a step assembly hanging down 8" or so below the side of the bus while under way and lose a lot of ground clearance midships so I designed a removable step assembly that will be taken up when traveling. The assembly will hang off the bottom of the door frame, lock in on the front and back of the bottom step of the door frame but cantilever out for two steps down to the ground.

I started by building the step treads for the outside steps. They're 24" x 9", made of 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle iron and expanded metal.

I then made the lug assemblies and welded to the door frame. The pin that goes through them is a grade 8 1/2" bolt. I only used the straight shank portion with no threads.

If you look closely at the bottom of the pic you'll see where I stacked 1-1/2" and 1" square tubing to create a place for the back of the main step frame arm to lock into.

I then made the main step arms (2 req'd). The bracing that holds the step treads will attach to this assembly

The u-shaped flat bar will slide into the lugs and carry the weight of the steps and person. The flat bar also rests on the bottom of the door frame resisting the bend to unfold.

The bottom tab locks into place when weight is applied to prevent the flat bar from moving forward and out of location.

When locked into place this is what the side profile will look like (to truly see how it will go in real world think rotate to the right 90deg.).

In case it's a bit unclear what's going on, stay with me. It will come clear as things progress.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #629
Bus Geek

Nice looking fabrication work, but yeah it's about as clear as mud right now how this goes together. Steps, I know. Removable and stowable, I get that.

You see, if it was me I'd forget that I forgot to reattach the steps and I'd take a tumble safely landing on my face.

Moving your door is pretty cool no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #630
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
BEAUTIFUL work, Sojo.

I like how beefy it is. Aint no thin-wall stuff. Something you can stick a magnet to.

Can't wait to see it all come together.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #631
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Great looking fab work. Can't wait to see more!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #632
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Looks like fun! And like you have put a lot of thought into the design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #633
Bus Nut

While waiting on the metal fab shop to get to my stair parts, my wife Lori and I did the suckiest job on a skoolie build.
While the nastiest job is wire brushing and treating the floor, by far the suckiest job is ceiling and insulation removal.
The previous day I used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel to grind a groove in the middle of all the rivet heads to ease cutting the tops off with an air chisel.
I chiseled off the rivet heads and dropped the ceiling sheet metal while Lori scraped off and bagged the insulation. This was the first time Lori was able to get involved in this project. It's not that she hasn't wanted to get involved, it's just the work I've done so far (fabrication and demolition requiring power tools) were things only I could do. She's an awesome woman who worked hard all day with me and as a result we got a lot accomplished just before both our batteries ran out!!

Here's things after cleaning up the mess we made.

I'm so glad we chose to take this ceiling down and inspect. There was some surface rust that will need to be dealt with. Otherwise it would have corroded through to the top over time. At some point I'll bring in the power washer and get any loose tar off the underside of the roof.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #634
Bus Nut

I built the outside step unit today. Here's a few pics detailing how it fits on the door frame.

The step unit is a stow away program. To set in place you simply slide in the flat bar hooks into the lugs on the bottom of the door frame.

Then simply fold down.

The stays on the back of the bar keep the step from sliding forward and out of the flat bar hook.

I haven't weighed the step unit yet but I'd guess it weighs somewhere in the 25 - 30lb. range. Once the door frame and step well are installed, I'll figure out some sort of rod with a hook on it to facilitate setting the steps and hauling up from inside the step well.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #635
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Good looking work! I am thinking about some steps for my deck as well.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #636
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Nice! Those are really turning out well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #637
Bus Geek

You've been busy. Nice progress.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #638
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
not to jack the thread but I need some input I'd like to move my door amidships but putting a stairwell inside kinda puts me off since I can be legal at 102" and kinda legal at 103-104 what if I put a folding deck that would fold up against the side while traveling then put it level when in use with an attaching stair case?? pros and cons please.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #639
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
By the way having been fabricating metal and stories both for 40 years this man knows his stuff his work is beautiful and will stand the test of time. Gene
Old 02-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #640
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
By the way having been fabricating metal and stories both for 40 years this man knows his stuff his work is beautiful and will stand the test of time. Gene
No doubt!!!

I wish I was 1/4 the Craftsman that he is.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote