Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #321
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
You do all have P.T.O. winches? Right?
Wouldn't that be nice. I'd love to put a PTO on my MT643 with hydraulic pump. I could run a bunch of things off that!!

Alas, here, that kind of equipment is very expensive. Even finding a different differential is an issue. The guy down the road wants $950.00 for a 4.10 after making sure mine is good and taking mine in exchange. Too rich for my blood.
Maybe have to get this project roadable and do some work along the way and make those kind of changes in areas where it's less expensive.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #322
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs View Post
Sojourner,
Was thinking of doing the same thing on mine with the front bumper but will do some thing more like we had on the fire trucks. I figure a couple of tool/storage boxes on the sides and place to mount a trans cooler angled in the middle. Probably come out from the front about 16 inches. Funny your front end picks look like mine this past week, I replaced the fan clutch. Fun job, had to fab tool to hold fan assembly but did not take too much time. Keep up the great work you are an excellent fabricator and thank you for sharing.
Tracy
Thanks for the kind comments. You may not know it but you're a big inspiration and help to me with the pics you shared a while back. Kudo's to you as well!!

By the way, I have a friend in OH who is seriously looking into the whole skoolie thing. He's a school bus driver in or near Stowe and checking into available local buses that come up for auction. Once he does buy one, I think he'll probably bring it down here for conversion work.

Trav.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 08-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #323
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71
Stow,
Not that far from me, about 45 minutes. He can stop by our place if he want's to check out what I have done.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #324
Bus Nut

Interesting

[IMG][URL=http://s914.photobucket.com/user/A_bus_named_Sojourner/media/Mobile%20Uploads/29968[/IMG]
Old 08-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #325
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Interesting

[IMG][URL=http://s914.photobucket.com/user/A_bus_named_Sojourner/media/Mobile%20Uploads/29968[/IMG]
Here we go:

Old 08-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #326
Bus Crazy

That looks like a Crown Hi-Po (Highway Post Office).

The USPS purchased several two and three axle Crowns to be used much in the same way railway post offices were used. Pick up the mail in out of the way places and sort as you go down the road.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #327
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
That looks like a Crown Hi-Po (Highway Post Office).

The USPS purchased several two and three axle Crowns to be used much in the same way railway post offices were used. Pick up the mail in out of the way places and sort as you go down the road.
I believe that's exactly what it is. I might look into doing something like this on mine. The flat roof would give me better insulation, more room for ductwork and lights and keep the overall height lower with a walk in entry for with no stepwell. Might end up cutting the entire roof off, where I want to raise it, at the top of the window posts.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #328
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Talk about a distraction Pick up the mail in out of the way places and sort as you go down the road.....and everyones worried about talking & texting while driving....duh
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #329
Bus Nut

I watched the videos on YouTube of the roof raise on Mudda earth's bus named "Transcendence" last evening. When he cut the roof just aft of the cab a 1/2" gap opened up due to the front of the bus fore of the axle dropping down. He jacked and blocked it up to close the gap but one has to wonder, if the body is helping hold the frame straight, what will keep it from wanting to sag after closing in the raise? Seems a bit scary, if you ask me.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #330
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I watched the videos on YouTube of the roof raise on Mudda earth's bus named "Transcendence" last evening. When he cut the roof just aft of the cab a 1/2" gap opened up due to the front of the bus fore of the axle dropping down. He jacked and blocked it up to close the gap but one has to wonder, if the body is helping hold the frame straight, what will keep it from wanting to sag after closing in the raise? Seems a bit scary, if you ask me.

Yes, and more yes.

I have jacked up and manipulated my bus's all over the place. I even removed 19 feet of bus body off of a 38 foot B700.
With the body whole, the bus will not twist. With the roof cut loose it twists easily. With no body, the rails will twist and bend.

Anyone that cuts the roof into two pieces, will suffer from movement in the body around the cut point, in a full twist situation, like driving into a ditch, or a bad angled approach.

That roof needs to stay one piece, and every support rib spliced properly.

Otherwise, good luck.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote