Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #641
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
not to jack the thread but I need some input I'd like to move my door amidships but putting a stairwell inside kinda puts me off since I can be legal at 102" and kinda legal at 103-104 what if I put a folding deck that would fold up against the side while traveling then put it level when in use with an attaching stair case?? pros and cons please.
Here's my thoughts (for what they're worth).
Unless you're going to raise the roof about 24" you're not going to have enough flat wall space to frame in a door without some step well.
The higher up your platform, the farther out the whole assembly would be.
The floor height from the ground on my bus is about 40". With a 7 inch rise per step you're going to need 5 steps to get to the floor from the outside alone. With a minimum step tread run of 8" that means the step assembly will extend 40" from the side of the bus. This is not accounting for any sort of deck. While that may not be a problem set up at camp, having to pull up that far away from a fuel pump might make difficult to get fuel in the tank.
I too am looking at making a deck platform that can be installed between these steps and the lugs at my door frame. This would be something to use while at camp but when traveling just use the two step unit at the door. I have some cool mil surplus grating that would make a nice deck with some modification to accept my step system.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #642
Bus Nut

I got the step well fitted and welded into the door frame today. Hopefully the weather will dry up some so I can get this assembly prepped and primed so I can finish the install into Gimel.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #643
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"...that's the way, unh-hunh, unh hunh, I LIKE it, unh-hunh, unh hunh!"

Nice work!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #644
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
"...that's the way, unh-hunh, unh hunh, I LIKE it, unh-hunh, unh hunh!"

Nice work!
LOL!! Now you're telling everyone what generation we're from!!

Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #645
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Yeah I was lucky I missed that era was into southern rock by then.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #646
Bus Nut

I'm only 40 and I enjoy music from as far back as the 40's. I really like lounge music from the 50's and 60's. i enjoy some K C and the Sunshine band.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #647
Bus Nut

soujouner thanks for your input on my deck . I was actually thinking a 76" RV door and a deck one step down from the door actuated hydraulicly like a lift gate platform. my bus floor is about 36" to ground so with 8" step into bus if I calculate correctly I still need 3 more steps and then the stairs would run parallel with the bus.Roof raise is imminent as my head rubs the ceiling every where but dead in the center and that is pre insulating the floor I was thinking 12" but your comments are making me think I should reconsider I will measure some more. Thanks for your help Gene
Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #648
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I'm only 40 and I enjoy music from as far back as the 40's. I really like lounge music from the 50's and 60's. i enjoy some K C and the Sunshine band.
Same here (although I'm 57). Back in the day (late 70's, my teen years) I listened to a lot of different styles of music. Country was my go to then (Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc..) but I enjoyed most other styles (jazz, classical, pop, rock, etc. as long as it was well done) except heavy metal. Never did get into that.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #649
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Same here (although I'm 57). Back in the day (late 70's, my teen years) I listened to a lot of different styles of music. Country was my go to then (Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc..) but I enjoyed most other styles (jazz, classical, pop, rock, etc. as long as it was well done) except heavy metal. Never did get into that.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #650
Bus Nut

My preferred genre is Blues although I enjoy most music except for classical I guess my motor revs a little higher than that have an Ipod that has over 5000 songs on it that runs the gamut from Sinatra to AC/DC B.B King to Skynard
Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #651
Bus Geek

Just mix it up and play the "Good Stuff"...whatever the era!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #652
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
that runs the gamut from Sinatra to AC/DC B.B King to Skynard
"Shut up.....just...shut up. You had me at Skynyrd."

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #653
Bus Nut

Quote:
not to jack the thread but I need some input I'd like to move my door amidships but putting a stairwell inside kinda puts me off since I can be legal at 102" and kinda legal at 103-104 what if I put a folding deck that would fold up against the side while traveling then put it level when in use with an attaching stair case?? pros and cons please.
Buy and install one of those RV steps that retract either manually or electric or two if its a wide door opening

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #654
Bus Nut

I made some more progress on the door frame and step well install.
Finished welding the step well and primed what I needed to for now.

Lori helped me get the unit set in place so I could get the storage frames bolted to the door frame and get things clamped in place ready to weld. I couldn't resist slipping the outside steps in place and see how solid the whole thing would be. I'm happy to report the steps are a rock solid success! Lori is very happy with the entry. Woohoo!!

The door frame/step well is finally welded in place. I'll lightly sand the welds to get any spatter dealt with tomorrow as well as weld a couple pieces of square tubing to bolt a hand bar into over the door later. I put a piece of wood in the entry landing to get a better idea of how this will look and work. It'll be much nicer once I get the cambara in the landing and step treads. The plan currently is to use bed liner on the step well itself to add protection and texture. I'll probably install some sort of lighting to illuminate the steps at night. Underneath the whole thing will have a generous undercoating to deal with any possible corrosion issues.

To get the whole assembly to slip in fully welded required a bit more of a gap to fill than I'd like (especially when welding anything galvanized) to weld in the doorframe/step well. Patience is the key when welding together a 1/4" gap in 1/8" thick tubing and 14ga. galvanized floor panels. You have to take your time and let things cool down from time to time. It took over two hours of welding to get it all together. Solid as a rock!!

Old 02-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #655
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's looking great. I'm curious about the tread size. The extrernal stairs look great too.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #656
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's looking great. I'm curious about the tread size. The extrernal stairs look great too.
The sheet metal portion is a 7" run but will have cambara mahogany treads that will be either 8" or 9". The finished step rise will be 7" from the bottom outside step to the finished floor height.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #657
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
So pro! Looks like it will serve you really well!

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #658
Almost There

Year: 1989
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Wow, looks really good.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #659
Bus Nut

I have been doing this kind of work for a long time. I have no idea what your background is but you are an artist. Gene
Old 02-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #660
Bus Geek

Dare I say...WELL done!?