Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #661
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
I have been doing this kind of work for a long time. I have no idea what your background is but you are an artist. Gene
My background is varied a good bit. I got into metal fabrication in my late teens (I'm now 57) but noticed many of the "old timers" were half blind, breathing on one lung and sometimes had appendages missing. I decided, that the long term future might not be that favorable although I did enjoy the craft (what little I actually knew at the time). I ended up as my major career a Marine Technician (servicing anything from a 2hp outboard to 100+ft yachts). This stretched me a LOT as, to be successful, one had to become the jack of all trades and the master of all of them. My success in that field gave me the opportunity to purchase good tools along the way and the skill set to use them. I sincerely hope I don't sound too arrogant. It's not my intention. I am very humbled and grateful to have had exposure to so many disciplines in my life. I am amazed at how many in this skoolie thing (without the good fortune that I've had) are doing their own conversions with little to no previous learned skills. That takes a lot of courage and I totally respect those who take on such a challenge!! This skoolie project is a way I can still put those skills to good use for ourselves this time as in the past it always seemed I was building cool custom stuff for customers and no time to do my own projects.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #662
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post

My background is varied a good bit. I got into metal fabrication in my late teens (I'm now 57) but noticed many of the "old timers" were half blind, breathing on one lung and sometimes had appendages missing. I decided, that the long term future might not be that favorable although I did enjoy the craft (what little I actually knew at the time). I ended up as my major career a Marine Technician (servicing anything from a 2hp outboard to 100+ft yachts). This stretched me a LOT as, to be successful, one had to become the jack of all trades and the master of all of them. My success in that field gave me the opportunity to purchase good tools along the way and the skill set to use them. I sincerely hope I don't sound too arrogant. It's not my intention. I am very humbled and grateful to have had exposure to so many disciplines in my life. I am amazed at how many in this skoolie thing (without the good fortune that I've had) are doing their own conversions with little to no previous learned skills. That takes a lot of courage and I totally respect those who take on such a challenge!! This skoolie project is a way I can still put those skills to good use for ourselves this time as in the past it always seemed I was building cool custom stuff for customers and no time to do my own projects.
Not arrogant at all!! I admire your work and it should be something you're VERY proud of.
Just beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #663
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 (3904 RE)
Engine: Cummins 8.3TA
Rated Cap: 84
Wow, that looks incredible. My wife has been wanting to relocate the door on any conversion we do, and if we do it, I'll just hope it looks half as good and is half as solid as yours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
synestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #664
Bus Nut

Test fit the door I salvaged from the travel trailer we used until it fell down around itself.

I do have a few other goodies I'm going to use from it in the future on this project. I gotta tell ya though, my experience is travel trailers are, by and large, junk. That being said, we did make a lot of good memories in it.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 02-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #665
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Looking good. Does the siderail stay off?

I had no idea you had been working on your bus for so long. I was looking for your house battery setup and found out how far back you started. Nice bunch of work. Barrel racks were all around pg 14, which is good. I never found the battery rack.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #666
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:

We are similar but different I got my start also @ very young age I learned how to weld gophering at a radiator shop. When I was 17 and newly married got a job in a very new industry (chemical lawncare) and spent the next few years building tanks reels beds completing cab and chassis for the industry, like you I was concerned about my future around the highly toxic world I was in. Started a mobile repair business after a 4yr HD apprenticeship did that till 2001 When I went back to what I really liked to do designing and building equipment (material delivery vehicles) I retired a few years ago (heart problems) I decided recently to build a skoolie to use my skills and tools and to ease my boredom.I do hope however to accomplish a level of craftsmanship equal to yours as I am an admirer. Peace Gene
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #667
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Looking good. Does the siderail stay off?

I had no idea you had been working on your bus for so long. I was looking for your house battery setup and found out how far back you started. Nice bunch of work. Barrel racks were all around pg 14, which is good. I never found the battery rack.

Keep up the good work.
The rub rails will be reinstalled after I shorten them and weld on the factory ends. The idea is for this to look like it was meant to be from the start.
The house battery framework is on page 55.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #668
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I had no idea you had been working on your bus for so long.
Yea, life took some unexpected curves and I'm WAY behind what I'd hoped to be. Not giving up and making progress when I can.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #669
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Dare I say...WELL done!?
WELL?? Bwahahahaha.....
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #670
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Progress when you can? Buddy, nobody can keep up with you. You may have a long build but most of us don't do half of what you're doing. Impressive, energetic and ambitioous.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #671
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Really good work takes time.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #672
Bus Nut

Lori came home from work yesterday evening and when she saw this she was shocked!!

I just laughed and asked what the difference was from cutting a hole in the side to install the door? She was trying to figure out how I was going to fill in that big space where she's going to be sitting. I told her I might put in one of those James Bond ejector seats so she better behave. LOL!!

I've since removed the air filter assembly and am going to try to re-position it so it can be serviced from the side rather than having to get under the bus to change the air filter.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #673
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Do you plan on reclaiming any of that space below for anything?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #674
Bus Nut

Quote:
What's not used for the air filter relocate will be a storage bay.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #675
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:

It seems like it would be an ideal place to put in storage

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #676
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
dang!! im loving thids!! do the outside stairs fold up under for driving?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #677
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
dang!! im loving thids!! do the outside stairs fold up under for driving?
Thanks. The stairs do not fold under. I wanted to keep as much ground clearance as possible. They turn up a few degrees and slip out of the lugs on front and easily slip into place when the first person exits. They're not very heavy so it's easy to unhitch them and stow them inside while under way. I'm going to make a hook to lift them from inside since gravity pretty much works in one direction .

Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #678
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
Really good work takes time.
So true!! Much longer than most (including the one doing the work) think. I'd have hoped to be done with this project a long time ago. Not discouraged in the least. Too far into it to give up now!!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #679
Bus Nut

Started framing in the floor where the stock step well used to be. I'll have to wait until a 4" elbow comes in to re-position the air filter. Once the air filter is in place I'll know what room I have to build a storage bay, frame it in and hang the sheet metal. I'll have to determine the seat placement and build mounts accordingly before installing the floor skin. Then frame in the sides and some sort of window. Lori says she wants to just use one of the passenger windows. I'm not quite sure yet on that one.

I finished the storage bay framework aft of the door.
Getting ready to install it.

Finally got it back in place (it fought me all the way)!!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #680
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Started framing in the floor where the stock step well used to be. I'll have to wait until a 4" elbow comes in to re-position the air filter. Once the air filter is in place I'll know what room I have to build a storage bay, frame it in and hang the sheet metal. I'll have to determine the seat placement and build mounts accordingly before installing the floor skin. Then frame in the sides and some sort of window. Lori says she wants to just use one of the passenger windows. I'm not quite sure yet on that one.

I finished the storage bay framework aft of the door.
Getting ready to install it.

Finally got it back in place (it fought me all the way)!!

So nice! Love the curve for the exhaust!

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote