Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #721
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
What are those lockable handles you use called? Where can I get them? I'm wanting to make a compartment like that. I'm also making my own door and am wondering how to make my own lockable handle for that as well. Thanks for any information you have.
These are what I use (surprised to find they're still on sale since I bought mine in 2015):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Box-do...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

If you check back in my build you can see how I made my own slam latches, bell cranks, linkages, etc. to keep these doors closed securely. The door construction begins on page 38:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/so...r-8810-38.html

Hope this helps.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #722
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Wow!

Hey, super nice build! I just finished reading through the entire build over the last few days and I am really impressed. I'm just glad that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery because I plan on stealing...er.. borrowing a lot of your ideas.

I just finished building my rock crawler last year Extreme 3rd Gen Build! Insane!

(6 months build from start to finish) and now I have a 1995 Blue Bird TC2000FE I plan to build up as a tow pig/camper to haul my crawler to 4x4 events around the country. Kids are stoked we have a school bus to tow the crawler!

Thanks for the inspiration, keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing the final outcome.
NotKewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #723
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotKewl View Post
Thanks for the inspiration, keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing the final outcome.

I'll check into your build as well!! Concerning "seeing the final outcome" I'm totally with you on this!!
Once this elephant is finally eaten normal life might just feel like a fast!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #724
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotKewl View Post
I just finished building my rock crawler last year Extreme 3rd Gen Build! Insane!
OK, you're not the only one stealing ideas. LOVE the concept of the wheel treatments on what I assume are the "DIY Beadlocks"?

I have Dayton cast iron spoke hubs and have been considering what to do with them to dress them up and not be so "off the shelf" (it looks like you and I are "cut from the same metal" (the need to be different)). You're making ideas float through my head!!
Just a FYI, as it turns out the inner rim diameter just inside the flange on my wheels are the exact same diameter of a 55 gallon barrel lid (the kind with a band that holds them on). If I could find lids with no bungs on them, I could make cool flat wheel covers for the rears. Just need to find a way to attach them.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #725
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
OooooH! I'd love to see a Skoolie with full Moon hubcaps!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #726
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
OooooH! I'd love to see a Skoolie with full Moon hubcaps!
I'm working on something like that. There's an industrial metal spinner in the local area. I've already looked at his forms to see if I can make something in the future. He thinks the idea is cool too!!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #727
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
...then add some wide whitewalls and you will really be groovin!

PS...I have looked for whitewalls and they don't come in our sizes. But...you can still order white rubber paint and make your own I discovered.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #728
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I have looked for whitewalls and they don't come in our sizes. But...you can still order white rubber paint and make your own I discovered.
Sounds like a JC Whitney item to me. I sure do miss those catalogs. My favorite printed document as a teen gearhead.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #729
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
DIY whitewalls:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-paint.469930/
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #730
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That would be something on a skoolie. Not sure I'm the guy. My wife would be all over this as she'd like me to do a vintage cream type color with a woodie theme. Those whitewalls would fit right in. With a flat nose FE that style just doesn't look right. A conventional (aka dognose) would for sure look good, especially a shorty (Tango ).

Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #731
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I don't know. I think an FE Woody would look cool
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #732
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
If I could find lids with no bungs on them, I could make cool flat wheel covers for the rears. Just need to find a way to attach them.
https://www.newpig.com/unlined-18-ga...IaAvsEEALw_wcB
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #733
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TC2000FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
OK, you're not the only one stealing ideas. LOVE the concept of the wheel treatments on what I assume are the "DIY Beadlocks"?

I have Dayton cast iron spoke hubs and have been considering what to do with them to dress them up and not be so "off the shelf" (it looks like you and I are "cut from the same metal" (the need to be different)). You're making ideas float through my head!!
Just a FYI, as it turns out the inner rim diameter just inside the flange on my wheels are the exact same diameter of a 55 gallon barrel lid (the kind with a band that holds them on). If I could find lids with no bungs on them, I could make cool flat wheel covers for the rears. Just need to find a way to attach them.
Correct on the beadlocks. Indeed I think we are cut from the same metal. And if you could put flat covers on the wheels that would look awesome!
NotKewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #734
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Interesting......

Old 04-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #735
Bus Nut

It's been a while since I last posted. Got a job and have been trying to get some things done on Gimel in my spare time. I power washed the undercoating on the underside of the roof trying to strip it off like I did on the sides but to no avail so I changed the plan of attack. Boy!! Am I glad I did!! As it turns out there was a lot of issues lurking under the patches of undercoating sprayed on by the factory. I tried the wire brush on an angle grinder thing and was not impressed with the results. There just simply had top be a better way!! I tried a hand scraper and realized that if I got under the tar I could skin it off. The only thing was, there was a lot of real estate to cover and, by hand, this was going to take a VERY LONG TIME to complete. That got me to thinking........
I made a trip to Harbor Freight and purchased one of those variable speed oscillating multi function tools. I also picked up an accessory tool kit and returned home to give it a try. All I can say is WOW!! EUREKA!! This thing slices off that undercoating in no time at all!! I did have to sharpen the blade a few times but I worked an hour or so every day and all total only took about three to four hours to strip away all the undercoating on the underside of the roof sheet metal. Here's what it looked like as I began the process on one area:

On the other side of that same area:

And with all the tar stripped off you can see what was lurking in between the undercoating and sheet metal and was still tight enough a power washer couldn't lift it off:

I've also removed both emergency hatches and the vent on the roof and patched them with primed sheet metal panels. I sealed them with 3M 5200 and initially screwed them in place to allow the adhesive/sealer to cure. I then came back and removed the screws, drilled the holes and pop riveted the panels down. I then came back and sealed the pop rivets and edges of the panels with more 3M 5200. I used this stuff while working in the marine industry. It's great stuff to bond things together you never want to remove (I've seen it lift gel coat off fiberglass boats when removing outboards) although it can be messy. I'll get pics soon of the patches in place.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #736
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Interesting......
If you thought that was interesting, check this out. Food grade 55 gallon, clamp on lids with no bungs. Barrels had bagged contents so food nor anything else has been in the barrel. All for $20, $17 cheaper than the lids were.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/g...570429517.html
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #737
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
$10 seems to be the going rate here. Probably not quite as spotless. Olive oil or some such.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #738
Bus Nut

Does anyone know of a thread or video on retrofitting the new style (caterpillar antennae) mirrors to an older skoolie? I've been searching and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I remember a YouTube of some guys doing this but can't seem to find it.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #739
Bus Nut

Interesting..... Maybe find a way to make it look nicer and not so "plumberish".

Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #740
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
If I ever replace mine, I think I would go with the bumble bee antenna mirrors too. It can't be that hard. Drill some holes, add a thicker section for bracing and call it good.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote