Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #221
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My understanding of rub rails on Skoolies is that they are there to add side impact resistance and so are structural. They tie the ribs together and to the sheetmetal and their deep corrugation design makes them much stronger than any flat panel. Way back when, they were often referred to as the "torpedo belt".

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #222
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I'm not sure how crazy this sounds, but I've been planning in my head the next roof lift and conversion before I've even finished the one I'm working on right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I'm so glad you mentioned this.

Yes you could.

You also notice that near the middle of the bus body, right above the wheel wells, that sheet of outer skin had ribs pressed right into it? That's the profile you mention.

After reskining the sides of my bus, and doing a tin roofing job, I started thinking about contraction and expansion. Roofing tin has ribs pressed into it every 6 inches or less. I always thought this was just for strength, and rigidity.

Well it turns out both the roofing tin and the sides on my blue bird bus were both ribbed to give the steel somewhere to expand to without oil canning just like you mentioned.

So, for those of us who are reskining the sides after window removal, having a metal shop press ribs that match the rub rails into the new sheets would reduce the amount the new steel tries to buckle / wrinkle, and eliminates the need for rub rails.

One more advantage, is the fact that rub rails collect crap behind them, cause rust to start. With the new one piece panels with rub rails pressed into it, all seams will over lap the proper direction, keeping the water and road grime out.

The next bus I build, I will be reskining the entire sides, and implementing the one piece panels with built in rub rails.

Maybe I will even used polished stainless steel for a chrome look.

Slowly this site is evolving the skoolie conversions. Better idea's, Better methods, Better materials.

Just look at how many of us are doing roof raises now.

Nat
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #223
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: DT466E
Great job on the under bus. You gave me some great ideas for my own bus. Thanks
for posting these up!.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO!!!
https://www.facebook.com/NilesSkoolie
NilesSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #224
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Nice work on the access doors!!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #225
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm overseas right now (details to come when I get home) but can't wait to get back into the project!! Only gonna be home a week though and then back on the rod for a week.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #226
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Hey Sojourner,

how are you doing?

Any updates on the bus?

Cheers,

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #227
Bus Nut

Thanks for asking. I've been traveling a lot since the last of Feb. (Iraq, TN and China) and with things being busy here in the spring on the farm to boot I haven't had near the time to work as I'd hoped. THings are settling in a bit though and I can't wait to get my hand back in it. Trying to get a window unit AC converted to a basement mounted central air unit as well as making the door frames and doors from scratch takes time. I'm also trying to determine what batteries I want to use for my solar setup so i can build the battery storage trays in the basement as well. I'm hoping to get the undercarriage, brakes, and seals as well as roof raise done by this fall. I nee to go back to work at the weld shop I worked at before getting laid off too. I have access to some cool machinery there to hep with the metal forming although it's not a sheet metal shop. My basement doors will probably be 16ga. 3/4" square tubing frames with a fusion welded infill of 14ga. This will give me a strong frame to mount the gas springs on. Nothing would make me happier than to be working on the interior during this coming winter. While in China I did score some gas springs to use on the basement doors as well as some samples for soft close cabinet door hinges. Still trying to find the paddle latches I want though and just about to order the bullet hinges for the basement storage doors.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #228
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Trying to get a window unit AC converted to a basement mounted central air unit
please update us with pics for this mod

I can't imagine a window unit having enough force to push much air through the ductwork... I bet that ductwork needs to be super insulated, since it's exposed to external heat... doesn't seem like it'd be as hot as some attics I've been in, though.

Just installed an 18,000 btu window unit (in the wall) of a rental about an hour ago, and you cannot feel the air flow more than 10-15 feet away
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #229
Bus Nut

Also, Lori keeps mentioning the desire to make the exterior look like the old "woodies" with ood side panels. I keep telling her this is a very bad idea with moisture settling in between the wood and metal. I saw a car the other day though that had some vinyl on the side that looked like wood. That gave me an idea, I just might be able to get a similar look (nothings like the real) without all the maintenance issues using a wrap company or vinyl stick on kinda thing. Gonna have to give that some thought.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #230
Bus Nut

For sure the widow unit blower is nowhere near strong enough. Here's what I'm hoping to use to boost it a bit:
Suncourt Inductor 6 in. In-Line Duct Fan-DB206 - The Home Depot

I'll be posting photos as I get to making the mods.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #231
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I did a google search for "wood grain paint"
Here is the result. Too much good info to list.
My wife and I painted a food grade plastic 55 gallon drum to look like a wooden barrel. It was for rain collection. Turned out great. Something to consider:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wood...utf-8&oe=utf-8
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #232
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Also, Lori keeps mentioning the desire to make the exterior look like the old "woodies" with ood side panels. I keep telling her this is a very bad idea with moisture settling in between the wood and metal. I saw a car the other day though that had some vinyl on the side that looked like wood. That gave me an idea, I just might be able to get a similar look (nothings like the real) without all the maintenance issues using a wrap company or vinyl stick on kinda thing. Gonna have to give that some thought.

You can get vinyl plank, and arborite that looks like wood. Both would do fine if properly glued to the steel in a manor that moisture could not get between.

Like contact cement, ect.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #233
Skoolie

Would Sand Blasting (...or other media) be an option??
Probably not even costlier than days and weeks with the de-scaler (after all this will cost a fare amount of time and electricity).

Besides "Restore" -you might want to look into the CoRRosion-X products.
There is a HD version, that should stick extremly well to the frame.
Corrosion-X is all the rage in aviation!! It creeps into any nook and cranny and sticks fairly well....

Then there is SP-400 Industrial Protection by CRC - I only know the spray cans, but I love the stuff. Goes on fairly well, you can re-coat a few times (let it dry between coats), stays extremly flexible (like a wax) and it is semi-transparent, so you can watch what is going on underneath.
[Note: DON'T use the lighter 350 or 200 versions!! SP-400 is the Heavy Duty thing!]

Corrosion-x also has De-rust products, but I don't know how well these work for heavy rust....

Obviously the main-chore is to get the rust off....

After that you might even just opt for a heavy gear oil - heat it up and spray it on and let dust do the rest!

Cheers,

thjakits
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #234
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjakits View Post
After that you might even just opt for a heavy gear oil - heat it up and spray it on and let dust do the rest!

Cheers,

thjakits
Anyone else have the song, "I smell like 90 weight" going thru their head?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #235
Skoolie

Sojourner,

.....damn, I am sorry! My previous post was meant to go on Vlad's thread!!

Cheers,

thjakits
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #236
Bus Nut

I was wondering what was going on LOL!!!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #237
Bus Nut

Here's a pic and some vids of making the radius fender supports for the basement storage framework.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #238
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I don't know why, but seeing the folks behind the buses makes it way more interesting and makes it seem more "real".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #239
Bus Nut

Remember, this is the internet. Don't trust anything you see. That could just be some model/actor he hired to stand in for him.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #240
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't know why, but seeing the folks behind the buses makes it way more interesting and makes it seem more "real".
I agree.

It adds individuality and character to the screen name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Remember, this is the internet. Don't trust anything you see. That could just be some model/actor he hired to stand in for him.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote