Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #481
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I must have missed the promotion button. It was $102 and that looked like a single treatment. I did NOT submit the order. I think I want to wait. I've been doing a lot of idling so I should probably get the Slick50 (whatever one that was in their lineup). That's going to kill the mileage on this tank of gas anyway. I'd rather refill first then take it for a real drive somewhere. I might go ahead and order sooner than later just to have everything on hand for my fluid changes. One of them said it was good for power steering and diff oil as well.

You didn't include your start date before but I did catch the marine tech. Stealing spares from a junk yard is cheating for a man of your talents. You gotta fab your own bracket. Since you don't like the drag on the crankshaft, it's gotta be powered off of one of the wheels then chain driven to wherever the compressor is going to live. And since you want AC especially while sitting at red lights, the secondary drive takes over from an electric motor. Getting the clutches to work independently will be the tricky part.

Yeah, I know a boat tech too.
Here's the link I posted: http://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/tune-trio/ It's $97 (plus sales tax, orders over $75 ship free) for the first 2 qt. treatment of Stiction Eliminator (good for up to 20 qt. oil capacity). It includes a qt. of FR3 to be used every third oil change and a quart of Diesel Extreme fuel treatment (you also get an extra). On my pickup I use 8 oz. in a tank of fuel every 6000 miles. So I got engine treatment for four oil changes and fuel treatment for 48,000 miles. By the way, the engine on my truck keeps getting better and better. Honestly, I can't say enough good about this stuff.
By the way, no doubt I could build a bracket but why go to all the time and fuss when one that's designed to work with a stock belt will do the trick? One thing old age (I'm 56) has taught me is no need to reinvent the wheel when one's available. Now, if there's none available, that's another story altogether .

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #482
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Here's the link I posted: Tune-Up Trio - Hot Shot's Secret®‎ - Powered by Science It's $97 (plus sales tax, orders over $75 ship free) for the first 2 qt. treatment of Stiction Eliminator (good for up to 20 qt. oil capacity). It includes a qt. of FR3 to be used every third oil change and a quart of Diesel Extreme fuel treatment (you also get an extra). On my pickup I use 8 oz. in a tank of fuel every 6000 miles. So I got engine treatment for four oil changes and fuel treatment for 48,000 miles. By the way, the engine on my truck keeps getting better and better. Honestly, I can't say enough good about this stuff.
By the way, no doubt I could build a bracket but why go to all the time and fuss when one that's designed to work with a stock belt will do the trick? One thing old age (I'm 56) has taught me is no need to reinvent the wheel when one's available. Now, if there's none available, that's another story altogether .
Man, I literally had a jug of their fuel system stuff in my hand and thought "naw, I've never fallen for this kinda stuff before why start with my bus"..
I'm SO GLAD you posted this. I'll go back and get some, I think its even on SALE!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #483
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
On my pickup ...
That explains it. Your pickup doesn't take 20 quarts.

Quote:
My marine buddy is only 38 and hasn't learned that lesson yet. I see some of the stuff he does and can only shake my head. "You know you could have gone to AutoZone and bought the braket from a 1974 Impala and it would have done the same thing, right?"
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #484
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Man, I literally had a jug of their fuel system stuff in my hand
In a store somewhere?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #485
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
In a store somewhere?
Yeah Tractor Supply. The Hotshot oil additive is ten bucks off right now. The fuel additive is regular price, $15.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #486
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on your pickup, when was the last time you had changed your oil previous to installignthe new oil and hotshot?

I hear the stuff advertised on trucking radio all the time...

reason I ask is because the Injectors on a 94 Powerstroke (and newer) are actuated by oil pressure... a worn out oil pump, or clogged oil filter will causes exactly the issues you are experiencing... ive seen the HEUI engines repaired simply by a fresh oil change...

if your oil wasd relatively fresh and a good filter previous to the hotshot then I hold a lot of value in the installation of the additive... if it was Nasty oil previous then it makes me wonder..

as for Cab A/C.. use a remote condensor, dont place one in front of your radiator... in an FE bus you are going to hgave a tough time getting it far enough away from the rad to not cause airflow issues... (if you slam a condensor up against the radiator without at least 1 inch of clearance, you cause too much air-direction turbulenace between the 2 because the fins dont line up perfectly)...

in my DEV bus, I gutted out the factory Driver heater box and installed a separate defroster unit / and Dash / driver heat and A/C.. so now I have the ability to actually adjust my air temperature on-the-fly.. have refrigerated defrost (a huge godsend in the rain!!), and of course nice cold A/C.. a car unit wont keep you cool... theres a lot of engine heat... you'll want a 20k BTU evaporator at least.. it will run on a standard TM-16 / Sanden 508 / 708 compressor.. mounting brackets are everywhere for most engines.. I bought the one for the DEV from Red-Dot, it even came with the Belt.. the pulley already existed... sometimes you have to buy an extra bolt-on pulley that goes on the front of the Harmonic Balancer.. its usually a V-belt pulley so clearance is fine against the fan.

others are made that will drive off of the existing Serpentine system... I dont like those as much because a ruined A/C compressor will stop the bus...

Bracketry systems sells a bunch.. but they are Crazy Pricey... some of the coach A/C manufacturers have lower cost brackets for various engines... ThermoKing usually uses bracketry so I stay away from them, Red-Dot has some very reasonably priced brackets, Trans/AIR has some of their own brackets as well.. I custom Built my system using parts from ProAir LLC.. you can mix and match about anything you want...

I probably posted these already in here..

this was the new A/C, Heat unit fitting into the gutted driver heater console.

and then after the Dash vents were placed.. theres a couple not in view..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #487
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah Tractor Supply. The Hotshot oil additive is ten bucks off right now. The fuel additive is regular price, $15.
Nice!! Got a couple of those around. The gf LOVES their books/magazine rack.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #488
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
as for Cab A/C.. use a remote condensor, dont place one in front of your radiator... in an FE bus you are going to hgave a tough time getting it far enough away from the rad to not cause airflow issues... (if you slam a condensor up against the radiator without at least 1 inch of clearance, you cause too much air-direction turbulenace between the 2 because the fins dont line up perfectly)...

in my DEV bus, I gutted out the factory Driver heater box and installed a separate defroster unit / and Dash / driver heat and A/C.. so now I have the ability to actually adjust my air temperature on-the-fly.. have refrigerated defrost (a huge godsend in the rain!!), and of course nice cold A/C.. a car unit wont keep you cool... theres a lot of engine heat... you'll want a 20k BTU evaporator at least.. it will run on a standard TM-16 / Sanden 508 / 708 compressor.. mounting brackets are everywhere for most engines.. I bought the one for the DEV from Red-Dot, it even came with the Belt.. the pulley already existed... sometimes you have to buy an extra bolt-on pulley that goes on the front of the Harmonic Balancer.. its usually a V-belt pulley so clearance is fine against the fan.

others are made that will drive off of the existing Serpentine system... I dont like those as much because a ruined A/C compressor will stop the bus...

Bracketry systems sells a bunch.. but they are Crazy Pricey... some of the coach A/C manufacturers have lower cost brackets for various engines... ThermoKing usually uses bracketry so I stay away from them, Red-Dot has some very reasonably priced brackets, Trans/AIR has some of their own brackets as well.. I custom Built my system using parts from ProAir LLC.. you can mix and match about anything you want...

I probably posted these already in here..

this was the new A/C, Heat unit fitting into the gutted driver heater console.

and then after the Dash vents were placed.. theres a couple not in view..

-Christopher
I don't think any of that helps me at all. I'm RE. Need to find a truck/RV scrap yard. See how the RE's AC systems are put together.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #489
Bus Geek

Everything applies to RE, you'd definitely use a remote condenser and you can def have a dash unit in an RE, you have dash heat, freon lines can be run the full length of a bus without issue.

Compressor brackets will be same or very similar for an RE application.
Christopher
Old 04-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #490
Bus Geek

Quote:
Everything applies to RE, you'd definitely use a remote condenser and you can def have a dash unit in an RE, you have dash heat, freon lines can be run the full length of a bus without issue.

Compressor brackets will be same or very similar for an RE application.
Christopher
There's no room for a condenser in front of the radiator in an RE bus even if you wanted to put one there.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #491
Bus Geek

a REMOTE condensor.. you in all cases of Bus I recommend the remote condensor.. it mounts either into the bus skirt, or underneath..

below is the one in the DEV bus.

and in the redbyrd.. notice in the lower l;eft corner.. that vent..

you can place an under-body condensor anywhere as long as you dont block its airflow... in the redbyrd that skirt mounted unit can be placed anywhere in the skirting, it doesnt have ot be in the back on the left..

they make smaller ones.. i have large one in the DEV because I knew I wanted 2 Inside units... the Rebvyrd is from texas so it has a larger unit...

theres even rooftop condensors if you dont want to use space underneath for one..

-Christopher
Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #492
Bus Geek

Quote:
a REMOTE condensor.. you in all cases of Bus I recommend the remote condensor.. it mounts either into the bus skirt, or underneath..

you can place an under-body condensor anywhere as long as you dont block its airflow... in the redbyrd that skirt mounted unit can be placed anywhere in the skirting, it doesnt have ot be in the back on the left..

they make smaller ones.. i have large one in the DEV because I knew I wanted 2 Inside units... the Rebvyrd is from texas so it has a larger unit...

theres even rooftop condensors if you dont want to use space underneath for one..
I caught the remote part.

I like the look of that tho.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #493
Bus Nut

Quote:
on your pickup, when was the last time you had changed your oil previous to installignthe new oil and hotshot?

I hear the stuff advertised on trucking radio all the time...

reason I ask is because the Injectors on a 94 Powerstroke (and newer) are actuated by oil pressure... a worn out oil pump, or clogged oil filter will causes exactly the issues you are experiencing... ive seen the HEUI engines repaired simply by a fresh oil change...

if your oil wasd relatively fresh and a good filter previous to the hotshot then I hold a lot of value in the installation of the additive... if it was Nasty oil previous then it makes me wonder..
About 3000 miles since the last oil change. I understand how the injectors work (I'm a diesel mechanic for over 30 years) on these engines. No nasty oil or lack of change issues here. Actually the injectors, while high pressure oil operated (my high pressure side of the system is capable of well over 3000psi according to the gauge I've checked it with in the past) they're actuated (turned on and off) electrically. A very cool system when computer controlling things but prone to it's own set of issues. This issue with a sticking injector has been going on for years on my truck. The many oil changes had never corrected the problem. Exact condition described as "stiction" on Hotshots website with a miss until warm. I didn't drive the truck enough at the time to warrant replacing the injectors (not to mention they're a real pain to change anyhow). Now that it's my daily driver I had to do something to correct it. So far, this product has worked wonders. Like I said before, not a fan of "snake oils" (nothing beats good regular maintenance) but this one has sold me. It's definitely done what it claimed.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #494
Bus Nut

Quote:

-Christopher

Old 04-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #495
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Seriously like the remote condenser idea! Gotta' look into that. Especially since everything is so crowded in my narrow Art Deco front end.

Who makes them?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #496
Bus Geek

Quote:
About 3000 miles since the last oil change. I understand how the injectors work (I'm a diesel mechanic for over 30 years) on these engines. No nasty oil or lack of change issues here. Actually the injectors, while high pressure oil operated (my high pressure side of the system is capable of well over 3000psi according to the gauge I've checked it with in the past) they're actuated (turned on and off) electrically. A very cool system when computer controlling things but prone to it's own set of issues. This issue with a sticking injector has been going on for years on my truck. The many oil changes had never corrected the problem. Exact condition described as "stiction" on Hotshots website with a miss until warm. I didn't drive the truck enough at the time to warrant replacing the injectors (not to mention they're a real pain to change anyhow). Now that it's my daily driver I had to do something to correct it. So far, this product has worked wonders. Like I said before, not a fan of "snake oils" (nothing beats good regular maintenance) but this one has sold me. It's definitely done what it claimed.
The HS oil additive is on sale for $40 a bottle at tractor supply but unfortunately my store is out of em right now. I'm maybe 200 miles into my current OCI so I'm wanting to add it soon.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #497
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Seriously like the remote condenser idea! Gotta' look into that. Especially since everything is so crowded in my narrow Art Deco front end.

Who makes them?

there are a bunch of them out there.. red-dot, proair LLC, Trans/AIR, Thermoking...

here is a small one that would be perfect for a dash-air Only type system like ytou are wanting to do for road A/C.

Condenser 108 - 50 000 879

this would mount under the bus and not require skirt exposure..

-Christopher
Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #498
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Thanks Chris. How would that pair with a wall mount evap like this...?...

Danhard Inc. 00826BE-95 Evaporator
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #499
Bus Nut

OK gang, this is just plain cool!! A VERY WELL executed Skoolie!! Now my wife wants ceiling like this!!

Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #500
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Fans

Hey Cadillack what are those fans and where did you get them? We need some fans like those but we will proly use them for a different purpose like venting the area above our cooktop stove.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote