Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #301
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Thanks Jack, (same answer on both forums)
that gives me at least a starting point. I have some of that stall mat I can play with. I'll have to go back and look at your genny post. If I remember correctly though you built a complete box to put it in.
I know you are air cooled but,do you think I should use oil temp instead of water for my shut down? My two sensors are basically pretty close together. The engine temp is in the Kubota stock location which is just below the thermostat. The other one is on top of the radiator about a foot away but after the thermostat. I can see when the thermostat opens. Something I forgot to do was to shoot the temp at bottom of radiator. I should be able to add more probes with a switch to see temp readings on the displays I already have. I did that on my transmission temp gauge.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #302
Bus Crazy

Cruise Control

I've finally gotten around to installing the cruise control that I collected the parts to build a couple of years ago. It uses a cruise module from a 68 GM which is a stepper motor and don't need vacuum. I'm in the final stages of wiring.

Here's detail of how cable attaches to accelerator and the brake switch.

Panel mounted switches.

Right now panels are just screwed on to original wherever I can find a space. Hopefully this winter I can completely remake the whole panel. When I get it all done and tested, I'll post final wiring diagrams and instructions.

Dick
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #303
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sweeeet! Great upgrade. Your right foot will thank you.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #304
Bus Nut

Nice! Clean installation too. Cruise is a welcome relief on long trips.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #305
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I've finally gotten around to installing the cruise control that I collected the parts to build a couple of years ago. It uses a cruise module from a 68 GM which is a stepper motor and don't need vacuum. I'm in the final stages of wiring.
Dick
Nice! I've wondered if that could be back-fit to a bus or whether you needed to pray to the gods of whatever ECM you might have fitted. I can't see the pictures you've posted at work (or pretty much any pictures anyone's posted, thanks to the Draconian firewall around here) so I'll have to check them out at home tonight.

Where do you pick up your speed signal? I ask because I had a sphincter moment with one of these once. I had installed 2 magnets 180* apart on the driveshaft of a pickup, and a Hall effect sensor near them, according to instructions. When one of them let go, the control immediately floored the accelerator. Easy enough to control, but a wake-up moment nonetheless.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #306
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post

Where do you pick up your speed signal? I ask because I had a sphincter moment with one of these once. I had installed 2 magnets 180* apart on the driveshaft of a pickup, and a Hall effect sensor near them, according to instructions. When one of them let go, the control immediately floored the accelerator. Easy enough to control, but a wake-up moment nonetheless.
I picked up the signal from the wire at the speedometer that comes from the sender in the back. Since you can't use that signal for two things it goes through a Dakota Digital SGI-5 witch is a signal splitter. It has the added advantage of being able to correct an inaccurate speedometer reading.

The reason for the cable attached to the pedal is the actuator isn't strong enough to overcome the pullback on the governor at the engine (per gent who gave me the original plans). Besides if I put it on the engine I would have had to run wires all the way back to the rear.
The brake pedal switch just isn't there on an air brake system.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #307
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Cruise on!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #308
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
very cool, I couldn't drive with out cruise ,
keep up the great work
gbstewart
Old 08-06-2016, 02:19 AM   #309

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55
Flatnose Bluebird! A man after my own heart... How much was it?
Quetzal Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #310
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
When I get it all done and tested, I'll post final wiring diagrams and instructions.

Dick
Can't wait to see how it works for ya . Definitely on my skoolie bucket list that seems to never end.

Trav.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #311
Bus Crazy

Cruise works. If I would have wired it the way I drew it, it would have worked the first time. Must have had a brain fart, or actually a melt down. It only took about three days and help of a friend to sort it out. Anyway, I'll clean up the drawings and post the whole thing to my web page. I'll post a link.

Dick
Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #312
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cruise is a GOOD thing.. I need to find a way to add it to my bus..

that brick just doesnt always work out
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #313
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
cruise is a GOOD thing.. I need to find a way to add it to my bus..

that brick just doesnt always work out
-Christopher
Ya gotta use TWO BRICKS!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #314
Bus Nut

Quote:
Cruise works. If I would have wired it the way I drew it, it would have worked the first time. Must have had a brain fart, or actually a melt down. It only took about three days and help of a friend to sort it out. Anyway, I'll clean up the drawings and post the whole thing to my web page. I'll post a link.

Dick
Way to go!! Can't wait to see the instructions!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #315
Bus Crazy

Cruise control wiring diagrams

I have posted pictures and wiring diagrams on my web site. Module is made to work on accelerator pedal, partly because the engine is in the back and, I was told, but not verified that it isn't strong enough to pull against the governor. I has recently occurred to me that a steering wheel button assy could be done using a four relay RC module.

Link to web page.
Cruise Control

Enjoy,
Dick
Old 08-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #316
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have posted pictures and wiring diagrams on my web site. Module is made to work on accelerator pedal, partly because the engine is in the back and, I was told, but not verified that it isn't strong enough to pull against the governor. I has recently occurred to me that a steering wheel button assy could be done using a four relay RC module.

Link to web page.
Cruise Control

Enjoy,
Dick
Cool!! I was wondering if another module like a Ford or something like that might also work? The info I get is not all GM modules are the same and different PN's don't interchange. Do you think another PN but in the same year range should work? I'm wondering what the difference actually is?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #317
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Cool!! I was wondering if another module like a Ford or something like that might also work?
I can't say anything about any car makers module, I didn't research any farther as this is the original info I got and it works.

Quote:
The info I get is not all GM modules are the same and different PN's don't interchange. Do you think another PN but in the same year range should work? I'm wondering what the difference actually is?
My understanding is that if the module is NOT wired to use terminal H it will work. The module I used #25169208 was used on GM trucks for a number of years. Terminal H receives a signal from the ECM and you wouldn't have that. I read somewhere that the truck module has a longer cable. I got mine off of E bay for, I think about $50 I lucked out and they cut the harness wires so I got the plug.

Here are three web sites that I used to verify my original info. The first one being the most useful. I originally found a better one but, I lost the bookmark and couldn't find it again.

You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB - LS1TECH

GM Cruise Control How-To Info

Retrofit of 1990's chevy truck cruise control to a Trifive [Archive] - TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice

I'm pretty good at searching the web but the info on this kind of thing seems to be a bit scarce, and I haven't found anything about using any other module. Maybe you will have better luck.

Dick
Old 08-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #318
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think ove fogired out a way to add cruise to my bus... since Diesels have no vacuum I can get an aftermarket Electric cruise unit... I will actuate it at the accelerator pedal and not at the throttle linkage under the hood...

my speedo is electronic and already provides pulses via a sender.. so I can set up an aftermarket cruise unit to use those pulses.. looking at them wit ha scope they are standard from the IHC sender on the 545 trans...

I'll trigger the brake switch using the existing brake light circuit that the air brakes use... I should be able to get neutrasl safety using the switch already in existence on the bus...

these servos appear to have a lot of torque and a fairly long throw.. so if I need more torque I can make an extender bracket off the pedal linkage if needbe..

this just might work on my old mechanical....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM   #319
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I found an original cruise control actuator for my 86 8.2 laying in my Boy Scouts scout hut? The Jolly Roger just happened to be there when they broke it and my leg was sore from holding the pedal down for3-hours hauling scouts and canoeing?
It is an old broom stick cut to fit between the pedal and the seat frame with a rope lanyard tied to it. I can either knock it off the pedal when I put my foot back on it or pull the string. So for no electrical issues no cable problems? It's not mounted to anything so I can move it out of the way as needed?
Yes real cruise would be great but for now time and money wise I don't have a chance so I am going To go with what the scouts helped me make.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #320
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think ove fogired out a way to add cruise to my bus... since Diesels have no vacuum I can get an aftermarket Electric cruise unit... I will actuate it at the accelerator pedal and not at the throttle linkage under the hood...
Is this somehow different than what I did other than costing more? YOu can get a used GM unit for about $50

Quote:
my speedo is electronic and already provides pulses via a sender.. so I can set up an aftermarket cruise unit to use those pulses.. looking at them wit ha scope they are standard from the IHC sender on the 545 trans...
You may or may not be able to use that signal without a splitter, my understanding is that you can't use the signal as it comes for two devices. I was also able to correct the speedometer reading.

Quote:
I'll trigger the brake switch using the existing brake light circuit that the air brakes use... I should be able to get neutrasl safety using the switch already in existence on the bus...
GM unit uses brake light signal and has a redundant switch on the brake pedal. Why do you need a neutral saftey switch?

Quote:
these servos appear to have a lot of torque and a fairly long throw.. so if I need more torque I can make an extender bracket off the pedal linkage if needbe..
How hard does your governor pull? If I had a front engine I would have tried first to mount on the engine to see if it would pull it, it's much easier.