Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #501
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Finally got all of the ceiling panels up, it's only been 10 years, didn't want to rush into anything. Needed a new dome light, made this out of an old glass bus dome light with a walnut fixture and converted it to LED.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #502
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Finally got all of the ceiling panels up, it's only been 10 years, didn't want to rush into anything. Needed a new dome light, made this out of an old glass bus dome light with a walnut fixture and converted it to LED.
Nicely done! I'm glad you didn't rush it. Those glass lenses are the same ones that came in our old late 40s and early 50s GM buses. And the Flxible has the same lenses, too. I don't know who made them, but they're very cool vintage and you did a nice job of incorporating that into your fixture.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #503
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Great looking lamp especially with your hand crafted walnut trim. I kept the original ceiling lamps from my bus--one as a map light over the driver and the other as an entry lamp in the stair well. They are milk glass with a chrome surround but nowhere near as nice as yours.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #504
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
Good choice on the dome light! I salvaged some like that from an old bus and put them in a '58 Viking I lived in. My current bus also has a couple of them.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #505
Bus Crazy

Many years ago, about 10, I installed lights for the entry step. I finally got around to hooking them up. I used a reed switch with magnet to activate them to turn on when I open the door. In the same general theme of not doing anything simple I put a new clock above the door that I could see while driving. Then to further complicate things I added a light under that to also light up the entrance. As I get older I found that, in the dark, I used the cabinet above the passenger seat to steady myself. Soooo I added a grab handle to the bottom of the cabinet. Still not content with leaving things alone I made the grab handle a touch sensor to turn on the light so I could descend the steps with light. While I was at that, I made the reading light just installed to also touch to turn on.

Here's the wiring diagram.

As usual the coding gave me a bit of problem but, I was able to figure it out by myself. Is it bad code if it does what you want it to?

Old 11-10-2021, 05:58 AM   #506
Bus Crazy

Just finished a new bumper sticker

Old 05-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #507
Bus Crazy

Spent Waaaaay more time that I anticipated redoing the phone app and microcontroller code that controls door lock,