Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #141
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Will do Tango. Thanks again for the tip . Here is the size i'm talking about. I took this vid on Saturday.

My husband has put many cars trucks and yes even a bus together. He was body man painter for 45yr.s.

He said cut out all that rust replace with new same gauge metal as floor. It will weld right up to it.

Otherwise it will keep rustign till there is no floor.

International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Here is a great new product for those of us who need to conserve water in our Skoolies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...f=project_link
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #143
Bus Nut

I had a weldon 7000. I Google it found the manual and read about the wire connections then removed it. It's a fancy flasher controller for the "bus lights"

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #144
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Personally I would not consider any method other than welding. Remember...the floor is part of the structure and should be capable of transmitting any torsional loads.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #145
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Personally I would not consider any method other than welding. Remember...the floor is part of the structure and should be capable of transmitting any torsional loads.
Very good point Tango, thanks for the reminder
Old 09-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #146
Bus Nut

Today's agenda was removing the rest of the driver side floor and taking out the last floor heater. Everything went as planned. Now just waiting on some "U" shaped heater hose fittings to close the loop once I cut them off at the heater core.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #147
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: t444e
what size hose? I have lots of misc stuff that fits that bill.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #148
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliChzPoopTart View Post
what size hose? I have lots of misc stuff that fits that bill.
1 inch OD. Not really sure what the inside diameter is.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #149
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you may justr want to block them... placing 'U's on them could cause the remaining heater cores to get low flow.. by blocking the lines you keep the pressure differential between supply and returnand force the coolant through the remaining heaters..

as for that proHeat4 I'd only wish my bus had one of those on it!!! they are bad-ass!!
they will heat your interior using diesel without your bus turned on and no need for messy propane BS..they heat your coolant so it also keeps your engine block warm for cold-starts...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #150
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you may justr want to block them... placing 'U's on them could cause the remaining heater cores to get low flow.. by blocking the lines you keep the pressure differential between supply and returnand force the coolant through the remaining heaters..

as for that proHeat4 I'd only wish my bus had one of those on it!!! they are bad-ass!!
they will heat your interior using diesel without your bus turned on and no need for messy propane BS..they heat your coolant so it also keeps your engine block warm for cold-starts...

-Christopher
Thanks for the tip on the hose. To be honest we don't ever plan to go anywhere where the temp is below 45-50 degrees. I may go the blocking route anyway however.

If I hadn't already promised the ProHeat to Justin McCormick I'd be happy to let you have it. I didn't realize it was powered by diesel fuel though. So I guess I'll have to close up the fuel feed when I take it out. Not as easy as just removing the heater hoses I guess .
Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #151
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
I re-routed my hoses at the engine. Study the flow of the engine to determine what to do. I was able to remove the rear heater (gonna reuse it with the circulation pump to heat the bedroom from a water tank connected to the woodstove), all the hoses, the aeration tank and fittings from mine with no problems whatsoever. Got rid of a lot of unnecessary hardware in the deal.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #152
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I re-routed my hoses at the engine. Study the flow of the engine to determine what to do. Got rid of a lot of unnecessary hardware in the deal.
Great idea. I'll look into doing that, thanks .
Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #153
Bus Geek

be careful of making a boiler from your wood-stove.. hydronic heat fueled by fire is no laughing matter.. you need expansion tank, and pressure relief valve or things could go bad quickly when the fire is going but the call for heat in the bedroom is off....

-Christopher
Old 10-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #154
Bus Nut

Ok, this is a rhetorical question, but someone please remind me again why I'm doing this at 62 years of age.....lol? Geez, the arthritis in my wrists are killing me from years of lifting weights. You can't build things without using your wrists. Anyway, sorry for the whining. When I wake up on Sunday morning sore and tired I still feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Today was cleanup day. Although I know I'm making progress every Saturday it just didn't seem like it because of all the clutter. i hate clutter. I got all the old plywood out, put in my Craftsman toolbox and overall just straightened things up. I was very happy with the way it looked today.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #155
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
That is a good feeling isn't it? We did something similar today......
Old 10-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #156
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
That is a good feeling isn't it? We did something similar today......
Indeed it is. I don't think I've ever tackled anything of this magnitude before. I've built pergolas and fences in my backyards before but never woodworking, metalworking, electrical and plumbing all in the same project. Damn near like building your own home, which I guess is what we're doing actually.

Glad to hear you're still making progress as well.

I know GreyWolf mentioned it a few months back but has anyone thought of taking our buses up to the RenFest this year and hanging out for a day?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #157
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
This week...Worked 47.5 hours at one job, and 16 at the other........
Didn't get jack done on the bus today... It was all I could do to get my laundry done today.

**** I hate getting old! Can't hardly make a fist with my left hand and I stumble around for 10 minutes with heel and foot pain when I get out of bed.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #158
Bus Geek

its definitely a feeling of accomplishment to get something done.. andto me cleanup is huge... when i was doing the build-out on the DEV at my ohio house.. at one point my garage was filled with pipes, A/C coils, compressors, rolls of hose, metal, plastic tubes, boxes, you name it...

one day after I got the bus put back together, had taken it for a good long drive and deemed it ready for a trip..

I spent the whole next day just cleaning up the garage.. and somehow even though had just worked magic on the skoolie in record time i felt super accomplished that i could park at least 1 car in my garage again that night... granted it was my smart car and not my pickup truck.. but still felt good..

-Christopher
Old 10-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #159
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
be careful of making a boiler from your wood-stove.. hydronic heat fueled by fire is no laughing matter.. you need expansion tank, and pressure relief valve or things could go bad quickly when the fire is going but the call for heat in the bedroom is off....

-Christopher
Thanks for the concern. Been heating my water for over four years with wood. Built and used a thermosiphon cooling tank for a genset running on veg oil over 16 hours a day. Well versed in how to set up such systems. Pressure valves, expansion tanks, use of propylene glycol solutions instead of plain water (two stage system) and such go without saying .
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #160
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Thanks for the concern. Been heating my water for over four years with wood. Built and used a thermosiphon cooling tank for a genset running on veg oil over 16 hours a day. Well versed in how to set up such systems. Pressure valves, expansion tanks, use of propylene glycol solutions instead of plain water (two stage system) and such go without saying .

good deal, you know what to do... when i was in the HVAC industry i saw too many failures of when people didnt know what to do..

all was always good until they made more heat than they could use.. and couldnt get the heat source slowed down quick enough... if they were winning the lottery lucky everything just held together and made nasty sounds.. if they were somewhat lucky a copper sweat joint was faulty and a pipe came apart somewhere in unoccupied space...

-Christopher

Tags
international amtran, southern comfort