Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Southern Comfort

Well, the wife and I finally took the plunge today. We just bought our bus. It's a 1999 International AmTran FE with a DT466E engine and an Allison MD3060 auto transmission. It's already got tinted windows, highway gears and a white roof, which I'll be painting over with insulating ceramic paint anyway.

I'll post some photos once I figure out how.

FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome! Sounds like a pretty nice rig you found there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Welcome! Sounds like a pretty nice rig you found there.
Thanks Tango. I'm pretty pumped to say the least. I bought it from BGA School Buses 1999 Int'l AmTran FE DT466E Diesel Auto Air Brakes 14 Row@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL.

It's in great shape for a '99. Hardly any visible rust, good tread still left on the tires, really clean on the inside, and only 162k miles. They are going to remove the seats for me for only $560.00 which to me is one heck of a deal since I don't really have anyone to help me. They will also re- title the bus as an RV before I purchase it for $299.00. Which should make it easier to register here in Texas as an RV. I'm also going to have them deliver it to me (941 miles), for $1200. They pay for all fuel and any repairs necessary if it breaks down. All in all I can't speak highly enough about the company.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Such a deal I wish I had gotten. I paid 2 kids a total of $340 to remove my seats (they even helped getting them out at the scrap yard). But I drove it back to Billings, MT from Kankakee, IL. Took my time (as opposed to riding the Dog for 34 hours!) on the return trip and had a ball being a tourist once again.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Such a deal I wish I had gotten. I paid 2 kids a total of $340 to remove my seats (they even helped getting them out at the scrap yard). But I drove it back to Billings, MT from Kankakee, IL. Took my time (as opposed to riding the Dog for 34 hours!) on the return trip and had a ball being a tourist once again.
Hey Capt, your seat removal was a great deal. I really wanted to take a road trip and drive her back myself, but I'm paid hourly and after doing the math it's cheaper for them to deliver it to me and have them pay for the fuel and breakdowns (if any) than it would be for me to take off work, lose the pay and do it myself.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You should be able to hit the ground running!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You should be able to hit the ground running!
That's my goal Tango. First, take out the existing flooring, then the side panels and old insulation, and then the ceiling. I've been a lurker on this site for exactly a year now and have learned so much.

Which brings me to my first question. Not worrying about the cost difference is it better to use metal framing studs vs. lumber or is it just a matter of personal preference?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

metal can sweak & swalk as you ride down the road so take your time to get it put together right the first time.... a pain to take it apart to install a few more screws and/or bolts after you have finished it. I like wood because you can just screw it to the metal body with self tap screws, a lot faster and if it moves or sweaks just put another screw in it..... it's all in what you want to build, how you want it to work....
ED Privott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Privott View Post
metal can sweak & swalk as you ride down the road so take your time to get it put together right the first time.... a pain to take it apart to install a few more screws and/or bolts after you have finished it. I like wood because you can just screw it to the metal body with self tap screws, a lot faster and if it moves or sweaks just put another screw in it..... it's all in what you want to build, how you want it to work....
Point well taken Ed, thanks for your input. Our long term plan is to be parked 80% of the time and driving 20% of the time on a yearly basis. Since our driving will be minimal and the engine is up front in the cab making all kinds of noise anyway I might be willing to put up with some additional squeaks while going down the road. The reason I'm leaning towards metal studs is because they are much easier to bend around the curvature of the roof line, lighter in weight, and not prone to warp. But I have not made a firm decision yet so I welcome all opinions.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I just finished mine, never thought I'd be building another one after so many yr.s but stuff happens ! I well drive about like yourself and hope she is my last but I'm talking to an old buddy in west "by god" Tx and maybe one more... like I said stuff happens. i find myself reading more than writing on this site but must say i find a real likeable bunch on here that love the build as much as i do, they talk about how & what they like and want to do..... it's a great bunch, i well help anyway i can to as many as possible because we don't just talk but do & the love of what ea. one of us make & build just make it more of a family of do'ers, that's better than others just talkin' about it. as I'm steal new here i'm sure glade for ea. & every one of you on this site and want to say "THANK YOU FOR SHAREING YOUR DREAMS" with this tired old man... maybe just one more now that this one is done. let's see, a 56 chevy, then a 60 chevy, then a 56 shorty, a 66 GMC & now a 91 INT. blue bird..... maybe just one more....maybe ??? it's good talkin' with ya', later.....
ED Privott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Maybe you can use a silicone sealant at the metal on metal joins to reduce the rub that creates the squeak . Had a patio cover that was metal that was noisy in lite wind a little dab in the joints solved it .
Old 02-18-2016, 04:45 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I have looked at their buses and wondered if they were really as good as they profess to be .
Thanks for the info .
Old 02-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wolf View Post
Maybe you can use a silicone sealant at the metal on metal joins to reduce the rub that creates the squeak . Had a patio cover that was metal that was noisy in lite wind a little dab in the joints solved it .
Good idea Mad, I had not thought of that. Thanks.

So far I'm impressed with BGA School Buses. I even spent the extra $$ and ran a Carfax report. Bus came back nice and clean, nothing derogatory.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Going to try and post some photos.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
So far I'm impressed with BGA School Buses. I even spent the extra $$ and ran a Carfax report. Bus came back nice and clean, nothing derogatory.
I looked at their site last night after seeing your post and the inventory they have. Some looked to have a good amount of rust on them, body damage and patches. Did you notice many like this or are most of them generally in good shape? Did they say where most of them come from (i.e. southern states vs. the salty winter north states)? Their prices seem fair if they are in good shape. I also like that they will re-title them as an RV....makes things much easier right off the bat!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
I looked at their site last night after seeing your post and the inventory they have. Some looked to have a good amount of rust on them, body damage and patches. Did you notice many like this or are most of them generally in good shape? Did they say where most of them come from (i.e. southern states vs. the salty winter north states)? Their prices seem fair if they are in good shape. I also like that they will re-title them as an RV....makes things much easier right off the bat!
Hey dg,

To be totally honest I looked at very few on their site because I knew exactly what I wanted and they only had a few that fit what I was looking for. I have no idea where they purchase their buses from but I'm like you and will stay away from any bus with visible rust. I hope you find one somewhere that makes you feel good about purchasing it.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Thanks for the info. There are several bis dealers located her in VA, and I have the dealer you used bookmarked as well to look at when I'm ready to buy. I need to talk with the Va dealers and see what their pricing is and what services they offer (re-titling, seat removal and other mods, etc). Keep us updated on your conversion. Thanks.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Impressive looking ride!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Impressive looking ride!
Thank you Capt. My first choice was a Thomas RE pusher like yours but gave into temptation and went with FE instead. Being picky is a good thing but I didn't want to wait another year to find what I really wanted. This one will do just fine in the grand scheme of things
Old 02-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Just bought our first items for the bus. Went to Lowes looking for flooring and went to their clearance section. Scored a really sweet deal on some Pergo flooring. Original price was $43.79 a box. It was marked down to $20.00 a box so I offered them $6.00 a box for all 12 boxes to take it all off their hands. They accepted.....score !! So a total of $72.00 for my floor. It even comes with the underlayment already attached. It really pays to check out the clearance sections of the big box stores. You never know what you'll find.

Also bought some cabinet storage organizers to help utilize every bit of space.

Tags
international amtran, southern comfort