Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Starbucks composting toilet

We have looked at so many videos of composting toilets that are heads are swimming with ideas.
One couple uses coffee grounds from Starbucks mixed with sawdust. Is anyone here doing that? I saw it but can't figure how you dry the grounds so they don't end up moldy while you wait to use them in the composting toilet. The ones I saw were dry. Maybe a food dehydrator?
I want to work out the problems before I go trying something and have a moldy smelly mess to deal with in a bathroom that is near the bed and kitchen if you know what I mean.
As a woodworker (by hobby) I have plenty of sawdust. Its the additives I want to figure out.

HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think a piece of tin in the sun may do the job.
I don't think it would get moldy if you used freshly used grounds and dried them immediately.
Maybe a screen bottom shallow rectangular box would be the best way to go. set it out on a sunny day and it wouldn't take too long.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
I'm going the composting route as well, from the research that I've done it seems that toilets that separate the urine work best. I will likely go with Natures Head.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Best use of Starbucks coffee that I've ever seen.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
just wondering why people are choosing to use a composting toilet? personally I don't like them, had one many years ago at year round camp. Putting in a rv toilet not that big a deal. but that's just me.
gbstewart
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I'm glad you asked that question - I am wondering why as well, however I'm currently on track to use a dehydrating, not composing toilet.

The nature's head toilet is primarily dehydrating, and secondary treatment through composting is done by emptying the storage box into an outdoor compost pile.

My main interest in this direction is the fact that I can store a lot more poop and use a lot less water by using a dehydrating toilet as opposed to the classic black water holding tank system.

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
just wondering why people are choosing to use a composting toilet? personally I don't like them, had one many years ago at year round camp. Putting in a rv toilet not that big a deal. but that's just me.
gbstewart
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I guess I'm like Al Bundy. I have to hear the bwoooshh!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I'm glad you asked that question - I am wondering why as well, however I'm currently on track to use a dehydrating, not composing toilet.

The nature's head toilet is primarily dehydrating, and secondary treatment through composting is done by emptying the storage box into an outdoor compost pile.

My main interest in this direction is the fact that I can store a lot more poop and use a lot less water by using a dehydrating toilet as opposed to the classic black water holding tank system.

What are your thoughts?
not to crazy about that as well. it just seems that there's something else go wrong, just something wrong about dehydrating a turd into beef jerky.
To me a simple rv toilet works well, with a good size black tank. they are simple to dump, and if you had to you can use a grinder pump and pump up to a 100 feet away into any sewer line, or out house.
but thats just me, do what you want, I'm sure it will work just fine.
gbstewart
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I totally get the desire, but I think these composting systems make more sense for people that are going off-grid for a while, or want to be super self-sufficient. Our current black water tank is the last thing to fill up, and it's common in a lot of campers to work out systems where you can dump the grey over to the black for extra storage. RV toilets use very little water because they just dump straight down (it's just rinsing the bowl, really, and providing a bit of "transport" for what's down there), and poop doesn't take a lot of space. I bet we could go several weeks without filling it, and there's 5 of us...

Love the macerator pump idea. We've seen plenty of big rigs with them and I'm tired of dumping our black water tank using a stanky hose that's hard to store, easy to crack, etc. The macerator is one of the things we're splurging on in our build.

But we roam around a lot - we don't plan to spend more than a week or two in any one spot. We'll boondock a bit, but usually not more than a few days. Your mileage may vary.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78
I looked at many alternatives before I went with the macerating toilet idea. First, you don't have to worry about the large "solids" settling to the bottom as the mascerating pump turns it all into a fine slurry. Second, you don't have to worry about where you put the toilet vs the black water tank. The mascerating pump built into the toilet will pump your business anywhere under the bus you want. You don't have to rely on gravity alone. Third, you don't have to worry about the smells that some non-traditional toilets have as a problem. Some people say no problem while others say they would not go the non-traditional route again. I have not heard about one negative comment concerning macerating toilets. I am sure they are out there, but not at the volume I have seen on non-traditional methods of toileting. Fourth, we also hate the huge sewer hose you need to use with most toilets. The mascerating toilet combined with a mascerating pump at your sewer hookup under the bus insures you can pump your black and gray water as much as 150 feet away and 25 feet uphill.

Our mascerating pump setup will use a collapsible 1" hose that will expand from a 7' length to over 21'. Much better than those giant sewer hoses that most RVs use. I also installed a 47 gallon black water tank that should easily last several weeks in a pinch.

In the final analysis, it really depends on your personal choices and desires. Go with what works for you and use all of the various experiences from your fellow skoolies as a guide in your decisions. The path through the minefields of skoolie conversions has already been charted for you by those coming before. Follow the path wisely and your results will be incredible.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
gbstewart
Because using fresh water to poop in is a waste of the most precious, most heavy of the resources needed. Fresh water is the first thing to run out for long term boondockers.

Also mixing you human waste with water makes it smell far worse than it did fresh.

I think trying to compost inside the bus is a bad idea. Let the outdoor compost pile break down the matter. Why would you let it rot inside your living space?

Composting is not for everyone. I personally don't want the human matter hanging around. That's why I incinerate it or toss it into the trash pick up in winter, and bury it in summer.

I live in the forest, mud this time of year.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
We love the composting for other reasons as well. It can be emptied in smaller quantities and more frequently if desired. No hose. No tank. No pump. No pipes to freeze. If we decide to change, it would not be a difficult project but just can't see the need. Environmentally, it means no chemicals and no water. Sawdust and sphagnum moss is available everywhere and nearly free. One more advantage but something most don't really consider when they are building is the weight/load savings when traveling.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
One couple uses coffee grounds from Starbucks mixed with sawdust.
?? Why coffee grounds (other than it would smell great)? Sawdust alone works exceptionally well and is easy to come across for free (try any small town lumber yard). We're just finishing up a 10000km trip. We've been using a bucket and sawdust. With enough sawdust the mess will smell only of sawdust. We've simply been setting the lid on top of the bucket when we don't plan on using it a while to keep all smells (including sawdust) contained, but even wide open it isn't stinky. If your happy to put the lid on after every use you can cut down on the amount of sawdust applied, though. That can be handy.

On the road we double line the bucket with small garbage bags and dispose of the waste in large truck stop dumpsters that aren't handled by any humans - just because it makes us feel good to know that there is no chance a human will get a handful of our doodie.

On our property we have a compost pile.

Also, though we limit urine as much as is convenient in the bucket, we do end up pissing in the bucket as well. You'll want to put some sawdust down initially, take a pee, then top with more sawdust. It tends to eat up the sawdust reserves rather quickly, but doesn't make any more of a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
As a woodworker (by hobby) I have plenty of sawdust. Its the additives I want to figure out.
No additive necessary. Just don't use cedar since it is non-absorbent. Pine works just fine. Oak is naturally stinky, so it's probably best to avoid.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Some cedar helps, cause it smells sooo nice
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
im going with the natures head, no black water tank. i will be off grid,full time boondocking.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:09 AM   #16

Composting Toilets

Google 'Lovable Loo' composting Toilets. For about $350-$400 it's a complete unit.
roadwarriorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 AM   #17

Theres not much that stinks worse than burning humanure! Try the Lovable Loo for no odor composting toilets. Inexpensive genius!
roadwarriorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarriorlll View Post
Theres not much that stinks worse than burning humanure!
Everything stinks if you don't burn it hot enough. With the right combustion temperature, there is no smell burning human waste.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I'm going the bucket route. For pee, I might pee in the sink and let it drip out with the grey water [emoji14] it'll be so dilute that it'll be the same as the amount of faecies you get off banknotes.

I'll be using a Walmart bucket and lid combination together with bin liners and catlit - until I can get sawdust.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
This is a rare selfie. I've just built my toilet. I need to make a hole under the seat but this is my toilet. I wanted to do more today but the rain stopped me taking my uncut 8x4 OSB outside to cut it. I couldn't use power tools either because of the cord getting wet. Thus I did other things. Built my toilet, fastened what I could of the ready cut OSB to the bedroom wall and wired a USB socket into the console.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427059254110.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	6464
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote