Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #21
Skoolie

Re: Started - Vintage Wayne Tailgater

I've had a few questions about the paint I used. I used Olympic Alkyd Gloss Oil Based paint from Lowe's. Home Depot did not have gloss oil based paint. We did some tailgating for the first time yesterday and got to compare it side by side with a few others. I'm not sure how much the rain had to do with the outcome of ours, but I wouldn't recommend this paint. Ours is stil drying after 5 days. It has a crackle looking texture to it. It's not shiny at all.

I met a guy tailgating, I think he's on this board also. Fellow Ag. They have a porched out International bus. Pretty fun. I have some pix to post. They spent an equally miniscule amount of money and have a lot better end product. They used Acrylic Enamel that they purchased online from http://www.tcpglobal.com/. They sanded down to bare metal, which they later found out was not necessary. Because of that they had to spray primer. Sand. Paint. They sanded between coats which they also found out later was not necessary (600 grit). Painted 2nd coat. So they did a lot more work than they needed to do, but the end result is pretty nice.

So after reading, trying, and revewing again, this is my recommendation for painting a bus yourself for under $500.

1. Buy Acrylic Enamel paint.
2. Sand your whole bus with some fine sandpaper, just to scuff it, not to bare metal. (Use some Rustoleum in a spray can for easy primer touchups)
3. Wipe down with thinner after sanding.
4. Tape off areas that you don't want painted.
5. Spray on 1st coat. Wait 45 mintues. Spray 2nd coat.
6. Remove the taped off areas right after spraying. This will help the "lip" of the paint roll over while still wet, instead of having a hard (dry) line after it dries.

So while I haven't done it exactly like this, this is what I would recommend and what I would do if I had it to do over again.

davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido
I've had a few questions about the paint I used. I used Olympic Alkyd Gloss Oil Based paint from Lowe's. Home Depot did not have gloss oil based paint. We did some tailgating for the first time yesterday and got to compare it side by side with a few others. I'm not sure how much the rain had to do with the outcome of ours, but I wouldn't recommend this paint. Ours is stil drying after 5 days. It has a crackle looking texture to it. It's not shiny at all.

I met a guy tailgating, I think he's on this board also. Fellow Ag. They have a porched out International bus. Pretty fun. I have some pix to post. They spent an equally miniscule amount of money and have a lot better end product. They used Acrylic Enamel that they purchased online from http://www.tcpglobal.com/. They sanded down to bare metal, which they later found out was not necessary. Because of that they had to spray primer. Sand. Paint. They sanded between coats which they also found out later was not necessary (600 grit). Painted 2nd coat. So they did a lot more work than they needed to do, but the end result is pretty nice.

So after reading, trying, and revewing again, this is my recommendation for painting a bus yourself for under $500.

1. Buy Acrylic Enamel paint.
2. Sand your whole bus with some fine sandpaper, just to scuff it, not to bare metal. (Use some Rustoleum in a spray can for easy primer touchups)
3. Wipe down with thinner after sanding.
4. Tape off areas that you don't want painted.
5. Spray on 1st coat. Wait 45 mintues. Spray 2nd coat.
6. Remove the taped off areas right after spraying. This will help the "lip" of the paint roll over while still wet, instead of having a hard (dry) line after it dries.

So while I haven't done it exactly like this, this is what I would recommend and what I would do if I had it to do over again.
Good info. Thanks.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #23
Skoolie

I was just watching my DVR'd Trucks episode. It was about DIY auto paint. Aired yesterday, Sunday. Good overview for how to set it up and techniques on painting. Good info in a short amount of time. They talked about some kind of spray on film for masking off things. You just peel it off after you paint. I didn't catch the name. I did save it though for future reference.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #24
Skoolie

I posted a few pictures in the gallery:

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skoolies/Vintage

A friend also posted a video of the christening:

Good times.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #25
Skoolie

A friend wrote this about our first ride. It's funny because it's pretty accurate....

Quote:
The Midnight Ride-The Ballad of the 12th Man
By James & Frederick Wadsworth Longfellow Brune

Listen my friends, and you will hear
Of the midnight ride, of 12 men and their beer

In ought seven, 21st of August
The men were on a mission, Kyle Field or bust.

It started with a dream, thought that was enough.
Drink beer, build a bus, it can't be that tough.

They gathered some supplies, including some from Siegel's.
But when it came time, that ***** was far from legal.

The old army maroon, was still wet to the touch,
Being ****-hammered drunk, it didn't matter that much.

With a 5 gallon gas can, as a makeshift fuel cell
Antonio's Dad muttered, "This is the bus to hell."

With the drunken supervisors, tucked neatly inside,
Butch fired her up, said, "Let's go for a ride."

Deciding the girl, was too big to back in,
Our trusty driver yelled, "around the block again."

He smirked to the other, proprietor of AgniTEK,
"Whaddaya say, to Kyle Field?" "What the heck."

They made there way, through the back streets of town,
Hoping old Johnny Law, was no where to be found.

Fred yelled, "Give her the Ghost," the engine did roar,
Ed's booming voice repeated, "Shut the door!"

Their bodies half out the window, hands beating on the side,
Even Pete the bull rider admitted, "Man what a ride!"

Over University, West Campus in sight,
Passed a sleeping Popo, this might be their night.

Everything was going, just as they planned,
It looked like they made it, to the home of the 12th Man.

In celebration, a man that shall remain nameless,
Hung his ass out the door, proving to all he was shameless.

They did it, they did it, they made it to the lot,
To take their place of honor, their reserved parking spot.

Then seeing blue and red, flashing deep into the night,
The got their alibi straight, and pulled over to the right.

Flem hid all of the beer cans, so there was nothing to see,
They all felt like Jerry, "Holy Jeez I gotta pee!"

They got pulled over by UPD, no big surprise, duh.
All Dougie could say was, "rookie rookie I take pitcha."

The cop mentioned fifteen violations, without even looking inside,
But he said "Beat the Hell Outta Montana State!," as he tapped his ring on the side.

We all pilled out of the bus, Dave's thumb in the air,
"Mission accomplished boys," exclaimed the slumlord extraordinaire.
Siegel's = Dallas only liquor store, he later found out
Kyle Field = Texas A&M's home field
AgniTEK = Where we work
Johnny Law = Popo = Police
University = University Dr. (runs along campus)
Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

500 Caddy. Big cube Cadillac engines are just plain cool.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #27
Skoolie

Thanks for the lead Jimmy. We picked up the '63 today. It will be a big missing peice of the body/front clip parts puzzle for us. We'll be using the front clip from this one on our current rusted out '64 tailgating bus. We're hoping to keep the '64 GMC dual light bezel, over the more bland '64 Chevy single light one. I'm still going to keep looking for a drivetrain donor. Will likely be one for engine, one for axles since I'd prefer the 5.9 Cummins and they came mostly with the wagon wheel looking paddle wheels (not like the semi-like 8 lug wheels). We definitely want to take it to some away games in the future and the drivetrain would be required for that. It pretty much hates 55 at this point. I'm still worried about the windshield. We'd be in a bad way if it got busted up. If I could figure out how to get them copied, or at least a mold made JIK, that would be ideal. No luck yet in that dept though.

The '63 has a flat front glass. It has curved rear corner glass, but it wouldn't break my heart if we didn't even have windows there. Another key item is that the front of the top is rounded, just like the '58. I'm not really sure what I would do with both a '64 and a '58 if they were both done, but at least I have the parts now. The rest I can worry about later. The '63 has almost zero rust and a pretty cool scalloped looking Superior body. The door is a cool split opening where the front open out and the back opens in. It's neat and easy to lock.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

thats an awsome bus i like the round back my wife and i have just joined the skoolie network as we have just purchased a 1965 chevy wayne 30 foot bus! it has a 350 and a clarke 5 speed this was converted some time ago and is a diamond in the rough at this point i love the 60 to 66 gms and chevys and yes it has a square back
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #29
Skoolie

I saw your posted pic timbuk. That's pretty cool. I've never seen one with a square back.

It's almost football season again, so we started working on ours. We got the windows almost completely tinted. I went with the 20%. So far I wish I would have gone darker. We'll see once they're all done. Limo seems too dark though.

We also sanded down and painted the wheels. They cleaned up nicely, but they're still the death style split rims, so I'm on the lookout for some aluminum wheels. I'm not sure they make ones for our bus (see pic for our dimensions), but I'm keeping my eyes out for some used ones. I don't need them bad enough to go new.

The paint finally got some much needed touch up. To say our original paint job was fast and dirty would be giving it too much credit. It rained shortly after we painted it. Then it was wet on and off for days. We never ended up cutting in the windows and everything so it was pretty rough looking. We cleaned a lot of it up today. The alkyd is holding up well. Still crinkled and far from a high gloss, but not too bad looking overall (from 50 ft.).

Now it's on to the roof top AC unit, updating the drivers chair, and painting the inside. With a lack of location for heavy wrenching, it looks like the air bag set is out until basketball season. We're hoping to be able to do a 2" drop on it until then.

That's about it from here.
Attached Thumbnails
1964_gmc_bus_wheels.gif  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #30
Skoolie

We've done a little more work. Not much. Painted the inside. Tinted the windows. Touched up the outside paint. Painted the wheels. Reupolstered the old seat. We used it for the 1st game this past weekend. Did well. Getting better each time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5917.jpg   IMG_5965.jpg   IMG_6001.jpg  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #31
Skoolie

One more. This is our 18 x 27 covered "pavillion" for lack of a better term. Another great investment. This year they put all of the "party" buses together.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5966.jpg  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

you cant beat those 60-66 gm busses for looks so that baby had the v6,eh? whats in it now? cant wait to drive mine lookin good
Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2L GM
Rated Cap: 19

Hey David, I saw your bus out there last week by Kleberg. We're in the little yellow bus towards Reed in lot 66. Hopefully, it will be painted before the Miami game.

Brian
Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #34
Skoolie

It has a carb'd 350 in it now out my old Land Cruiser (put a TBI motor in my LC).

I think I saw your bus Brian. Someone said that you guys had a full restroom in it. Nice! We'll come introduce ourself at the next game. If you think of it first, please do the same.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2L GM
Rated Cap: 19

David, you can check out our progress here:

http://www.elspankdog.com/membersonl...hread.php?t=43

The inside is pretty much done, but of course I've yet to take pictures of it. Hopefully, I'll get some pics up later this weekend when I get the bus out of storage to work on it (damn HOA!).
Old 09-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

hey dave do you know what trans and rear end you have i have spicer 5 speed and 7.20 rear ends according to the tagand a 350 hows yer cruzin? timbuk
Old 09-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #37

Just curious, but I was thinking that if you could not find replacement windshields, could you do some body work to eliminate or fill in the curved drooping parts of the wind shield with metal so you could use a flat piece of glass cut to shape?
BoonDockGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #38
Skoolie

I'm not sure exactly. I was thinking it was a SM420 trans, but it might be a SM465 without a reverse sensor. The rearend is two speed. We do next to zero cruising. I wouldn't trust it on a long trip. We strictly cruise it around town and to-and-fro games... for now.

We thought about that. We even did some mockups. The bottom line for us was that it was way more fab than we were ready to get into. If one of our current ones gets knocked out, that's probably what we'll end up doing. It's not a simple job though. The current one has some compound curves in it.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #39
Bus Nut

iirc, the sm420 has a tapered curved section on the trans case for the counter gear and the sm465's are mostly flat surfaces for visual identification.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote