Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Superchief

Here we go! Ended up with a 98 72 passenger AmTran off of Govdeals from TN the other week. Pretty excited to jump into this, this will be a camper more than a Tiny Home, as we like to travel to dirt tracks across the Midwest. We have a rough estimate of a floor plan but I'm sure that will get tweaked a tad once we start building.

Has anyone found a decent site to buy water tanks? I found one site and 110G fresh water was around $700 pre shipping.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Also two quick questions.

They listed it as the dash not working, but on the trip home it randomly started working, is it possible it has a loose ground somewhere.

Finally after a little bit of driving it will leak a little oil, any tips on where to look for a leak? If I just let it idle for a bit in the driveway it doesn't leak.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
It's mentioned around here quite a bit that the International guage clusters can be a little temperamental, usually its just an issue in the electrical connecter to the cluster. cadillackid knows about this pretty well and can probably walk you through fixing it.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewzer55 View Post
It's mentioned around here quite a bit that the International guage clusters can be a little temperamental, usually its just an issue in the electrical connecter to the cluster. cadillackid knows about this pretty well and can probably walk you through fixing it.
Awesome, I was hoping it would be something simple.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
No problem, If I can help others with what I have learned by lurking and reading on here I will!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
When I converted my last bus I bought tanks from Ronco Plastics and they were very reasonable. Not so much today. Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

I am looking at using 55 gallon poly drums on my Bluebird. You can install plumbing fittings using a "spinweld" fitting. I am going to set them up in pairs. Two for fresh water and two for grey. Spin Weld Fittings

I have seen some good buys at the RV surplus places. They are small for what I want but may be a good solution for a more modest setup.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

You may want to consider purchasing a trashed RV. You can usually pick them up for under $1K.

For that price you will get black, grey, potable, and LPG tanks. You will get some appliances that may or may not work. Most will have a roof top A/C unit. Some even have a genset onboard. And you will get fixtures like sinks and toilets.

I know of at least two people who did just that and spent less on the conversion than they did on the bus purchase.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Also two quick questions.

They listed it as the dash not working, but on the trip home it randomly started working, is it possible it has a loose ground somewhere.

Finally after a little bit of driving it will leak a little oil, any tips on where to look for a leak? If I just let it idle for a bit in the driveway it doesn't leak.
If you search YouTube and Skoolie there are some resources to help. It's an issue with solder connections on the actual circuit board. The fix looks pretty simple, just remove the dash cluster and re-flow the solder. I was looking at a bus with a similar problem and after seeing the YouTube video I wasn't worried. If it's not in your wheelhouse there are services that take your dash and refurb it for a couple hundred dollars (a new one is about 400 I think)
Congratulations on the bus and good luck!
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am looking at using 55 gallon poly drums on my Bluebird. You can install plumbing fittings using a "spinweld" fitting. I am going to set them up in pairs. Two for fresh water and two for grey. Spin Weld Fittings

I have seen some good buys at the RV surplus places. They are small for what I want but may be a good solution for a more modest setup.
Interesting, those spin weld fittings... Otherwise you are pretty much stuck with bulkhead style fittings. They work, but of course you have to have access to both sides of the fitting to tighten them down. If the barrels have sealed tops, that could be an issue.

Then again, those spin weld fittings appear to require at least a 3hp router to do the bigger diameter (2" and up) fittings that you would need for black or grey tankd. I could probably buy many bulkhead fittings for what that would cost.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Found a RV surplus in northern Indiana that has tanks for a really good price, I'll just take a drive up there to save on shipping costs. Does anyone actually have luck selling seats? Or should I just take them to the scrap yard?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Found a RV surplus in northern Indiana that has tanks for a really good price, I'll just take a drive up there to save on shipping costs. Does anyone actually have luck selling seats? Or should I just take them to the scrap yard?
Could you share the surplus place?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And watch Ebay. I found a brand new, perfectly sized 44 gal. gray tank for a little over a hundred bucks...including shipping!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
Interesting, those spin weld fittings... Otherwise you are pretty much stuck with bulkhead style fittings. They work, but of course you have to have access to both sides of the fitting to tighten them down. If the barrels have sealed tops, that could be an issue.

Then again, those spin weld fittings appear to require at least a 3hp router to do the bigger diameter (2" and up) fittings that you would need for black or grey tankd. I could probably buy many bulkhead fittings for what that would cost.
If you need a black tank then you definitely need the bigger fittings. If you go with a composting toilet you can eliminate the black tank.

If I recall correctly, the 1.25" fitting can be installed with a more modest router. I figured that was the largest I could install and will work fine for the grey water tank.

You are correct on the bulkhead fittings. Most require access to the inside of the tank. One exception is the Uniseal: Uniseals the Bulkhead Alternative - The Uniseal Warehouse

I have used a bunch of these in poly drums and other tanks in stationary applications. They are a quick & simple solution but...

The bigger ones (2" +) are a real PITA to install and I have had a lot of small leaks over time.

CowlitzCoach made a good point. A donor RV can save you a ton of shopping. If you are good with the quality of fixtures that are used in modern RV manufacture it can be a great deal.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Could you share the surplus place?

RV Furniture RV Cushions Bedding Skylights RV Water Tanks RV Holding Tanks RV Roof Vent RV Escape Hatch RV Range Hood RV Tire Carrier Pleated Shades DayNight Shades RV Sinks RV Jack RV Accessories Camper Accessories
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I won't be doing a roof raise on this one as headroom will be enough for now. I thibk this will be more of a practice bus! Man do I love cruise control!
Attached Thumbnails
20170221_122702.jpg   20170221_134107.jpg