You can follow the full day-to-day, blow-by-blow on Twitter, but I'll post a few pics here, too, so you all can see the really cool parts.
Basically, after pulling out all the seats and windows (which went MUCH smoother than expected! Some of you had really scared us with your horror stories!) and ripping out the floor, we all stood around for most of an afternoon trying to imagine how we could best support and then raise the roof to our target height of 13'. We decided that would wrap heavy-duty tie-down straps through the window openings and then lift them up with the forks of a rented lift truck.
With those in place, we lifted slightly to create tension and avoid any sudden drops, and then we started cutting. We used a cut-off saw to cut through from the top, and were able to get clean through on most of it. We followed up with some touch up cuts from the inside. Once the roof section was completely separated, we marked and measured cuts through the structural supports that ran between the window frames. (We left the four corners for last.)
Once all the supports were cut through, we gradually lifted the roof with the forks. It did sway slightly, only for a few seconds, and then was steady. We had one guy on the (intact) roof measuring the lift, one guy working the forks, and the rest of us inside quickly placed our new pre-cut 1x2 tube steel supports into the channels of the existing support beams.
It went pretty smooth, although it would have been easier if we had thought ahead to have c-clamps on hand that we could use to hold the tube steel in place until we could weld it. Still, it wasn't bad, and didn't take long before all the new supports were welded in place. For additional stability, we added two lag bolts through the top and bottom of each support.
In all, the roof was cut, raised, and standing tall within 2 hours.
To test the stability, the whole crew climbed on top of the raised section to pop-a-top and toast our ingenuity.