Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

that darn governor

I have a 2001 International Amtran with a 7.3 liter power stroke. I've noticed it is governed at 55 mph. How can I bump up the speed inhibitor to about 62 or 63?

Stranger328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
are you SPEED governed or RPM governed? I have a thread about it .. if its a speed governor you need to take it to a shop that has the IHC computer and can remove the limit.. if your bus has cruise control switcheso n the dash but the cruise doesnt work, they can enable that at the same time.. as well as reprogram your speedometer if you have swapped to bigger tires or the gauge is off..

if you are geared real low and you hit 55, your RPM's hold steady at 2600 then you are RPM limited.. and changing that governor is at your own risk... ford ran them up to 3400 but longevity is lost if you run them there ..

if you run up to 55 and the RPM's drop off but the bus holds 55, then it is a speed limiter as you say and the above can get it removed.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Thanks Christopher. The cruise control is on the dash by the air brakes and door opener. I think the only time I go over 55 is going down hill (of course) and when climbing a hill and the engine is trying to get me back to 55 by the top of the hill.
Stranger328 is offline   Reply With Quote