Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 78
The Adventures of BusBus

I've been neglecting the publishing of documentation for my bus conversion so far. I have taken pictures and occasionally updated the blog, but I haven't posted on Skoolie.net yet. Today is the day!

Things I've done so far:

Gutted the bus - removed seats, floor (down to the sheet metal), cut out rusty wheel wells, removed windows, removed driver's seat, removed ceiling panels and insulation, and removed existing electrical wiring.

Raised the roof - built two rectangular, wooden trusses out of 4x4s with cantilevers to attach to the bus (top and bottom), cut through 28 channels, cut through front and end of bus skin, used farm jacks to lift 18", inserted custom channels over existing channels (overlapping 9" on each side), temporarily attached using self-tapping screws, permanently attached using 1/4" bolts (7 on each end, 14 on each channel).

Added some new skin and windows - built 12 wooden windows (6 casements and 6 fixed) with multiwall polycarbonate glazing, cut and temporarily mounted new skin using VHB tape, and fabricated two end caps for the rear of the bus. I still need to make the front end cap, but I'm getting close to the point where I can make it.

Now that the hard stuff is done, I am going to be building out the inside. The wheel wells are still missing though. We trusted a welder friend's advice to cut out the rear wheel wells. He's been working on the replacement frame and floor for 5 months so we are just going to have to build it ourselves. The plan was to learn from him and build it ourselves, but that changed... Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for checking this out and I'll be posting some more pictures and updates soon. I want to be living in BusBus before the summer

WanderWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Wow, you have done a lot,and I might ad it is looking good.
On the wheel wells you took out the whole section not just the wells, I'm impressed did you remove the front also? I would think any place that can roll steel could do the wells with a flange then they could be bolted to a large piece and a lot is sealer.
I worked for a body builder in the 70's for awhile and had to make repairs like that.
Good luck and keep posting when you can
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
WOW , keep the pics coming!!!
Nice job!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I'd just get some galvanized panels and cut and rivet them myself. You're going to build right over them anyway. No need to try and match the OEM ones. If you do go that route, make sure you put a type of adhesive between the galvi and the steel. No need for corrosion of non like metal contact.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If you build the new wheel wells with all right angles (rectangular instead of rounded), it will be a whole lot cheaper AND a whole lot easier to build to and around.

Just a thought.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If you build the new wheel wells with all right angles (rectangular instead of rounded), it will be a whole lot cheaper AND a whole lot easier to build to and around.

Just a thought.
agreed!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Wow! Impressive for a first post; you've been saving this up. You're doing pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do; I'll be following this with a lot of interest.

Where in OH? I get out that way from time to time.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice progress so far. You've put a lot of thought into this. First time I've seen someone take out the wheel wells.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Love all of the Ohioans popping up on here! Nice start!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hey... I'm close... on the alphabet.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Wow nice work! I wish I had skills like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWay View Post
I
Added some new skin and windows - built 12 wooden windows (6 casements and 6 fixed) with multiwall polycarbonate glazing, cut and temporarily mounted new skin using VHB tape, and fabricated two end caps for the rear of the bus. I still need to make the front end cap, but I'm getting close to the point where I can make it.
Do you have any links or keywords to google for doing something like this myself?

Also good luck!
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolydoo View Post
Wow, you have done a lot,and I might ad it is looking good.
On the wheel wells you took out the whole section not just the wells, I'm impressed did you remove the front also? I would think any place that can roll steel could do the wells with a flange then they could be bolted to a large piece and a lot is sealer.
I worked for a body builder in the 70's for awhile and had to make repairs like that.
Good luck and keep posting when you can
Thanks, Skooly! I appreciate the advice. I am thinking about how to reattach to the chassis and create support underneath that section of the floor with a frame of sorts. I had to cut out a cross-beam and an entire section of supportive beams between the wheel wells. If I had a welder, I think I could fix remedy the hole. I'm thinking about using treated lumber, flashing, and sheet metal. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted on the floor progress!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Wow nice work! I wish I had skills like yours.

Do you have any links or keywords to google for doing something like this myself?

Also good luck!
Hey TAOLIK! Thanks for your words of support! All of my skills have been learned through a lot of research. Most of these designs came from patchworking different information together. I am posting "how-tos" on my blog and would be happy to share my reasoning and build steps with you. I love to look at Instructables.com, the library in Dayton (they have a couple of old-timey carpentry books), hobby magazines, and YouTube for new ideas. If there's anything specific, just let me know. Also, not sure if I should/can post this here, but my blog is adventuresofbusbus.wordpress.com if you want to check out some of the how-tos and more pics. I'll be updating with the floor, skin, and windows in a few posts this weekend. Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #14

Thanks, Docs! I'm definitely not going the OEM route. Mostly, I'm not sure about the structural cross-beams below the sheet metal. The old cross-beams where attached with a rubber pad and a bracket and them welded to the wall with a triangle brace. I'll keep you posted on the floor progress. I think I may have a solution, but I need to test it out. I might just invest in a welder so I can work more easily to reattach the cross-beams in one piece. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:35 AM   #15

Thanks for your suggestion, Tango! I agree that having square wheel wells instead of the rounded since we're building over them anyway. Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #16

Thanks, RainbowBoxer and Robin! I think the idea of taking out the wheel wells was a solid piece of advice in terms of preventing further corrosion. My welder friend gave a lot of good advice, we just need to move forward with some of those ideas. Hopefully, I'll have some progress to report back soon on the floor. It's been like this since October and I need to fix it before framing out the bus. Ahh! Thanks again!

Hey Dan-fox! I'm in Dayton, OH. It's a pretty great place to build skoolies. We have tons of skilled tradespersons around here. Lots of helpful advice and information to be gained from my neighbors at the build site!