Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
a 'small roof rack' or 'small roof top carrier' might be less intimidating wording for an insurer

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Maybe a roof rack later, after all is said and done.

My goal is to make it fully an RV anyway, before having the roof rack/deck, which I also plan to make removable. I know it won't be removable as in pop it right off, but using hardened bolts etc. to allow for removal and roof repair, upkeep, etc.
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
When I finally get to that point, my design is a bolt-together, too, instead of a single, welded piece.
Future disassembly if needed, sure, but also to accommodate both my primitive welding skills, and to be able to construct & install, single-handedly! 🤞
Old 06-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
When I finally get to that point, my design is a bolt-together, too, instead of a single, welded piece.
Future disassembly if needed, sure, but also to accommodate both my primitive welding skills, and to be able to construct & install, single-handedly! 🤞

I have plans, at the moment just running around in my head, of a roof rack hydraulically controlled, or starter motor powered, like some of the old pickup mounted snow plows, that will lower to the ground, where it will stand almost vertical so dog sleds and straw bales etc can be secured, then lifted to the roof with the touch of a button, lever, or remote control, where it will sit flat on the roof - it can then be locked in place while the operator is still standing on the ground - even when I was younger and much fitter than I am now, I always hated climbing onto the top of the truck to secure the load after a weekend of racing in sub zero temperatures - cold, tired, and hungry, fingers and limbs stiff and aching from the cold and effort expended - not having to climb on top of the bus which is even higher than any dog boxes will be the height of luxury for me - lol
Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:

I think modular and removable is the way to go for sure!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I have plans, at the moment just running around in my head, of a roof rack hydraulically controlled, or starter motor powered, like some of the old pickup mounted snow plows, that will lower to the ground, where it will stand almost vertical so dog sleds and straw bales etc can be secured, then lifted to the roof with the touch of a button, lever, or remote control, where it will sit flat on the roof - it can then be locked in place while the operator is still standing on the ground - even when I was younger and much fitter than I am now, I always hated climbing onto the top of the truck to secure the load after a weekend of racing in sub zero temperatures - cold, tired, and hungry, fingers and limbs stiff and aching from the cold and effort expended - not having to climb on top of the bus which is even higher than any dog boxes will be the height of luxury for me - lol

How about something on tracks-like a garage door opener? Mounting points allow you to secure the items, and then they slide up. You can always double secure them with simple ratchet straps or something.
Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
How about something on tracks-like a garage door opener? Mounting points allow you to secure the items, and then they slide up. You can always double secure them with simple ratchet straps or something.
Just a thought.
might work - haven't quite got the picture of that in mind - my idea might put you in mind of a convertible top opening up, only no folding allowed - lol
Old 06-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
might work - haven't quite got the picture of that in mind - my idea might put you in mind of a convertible top opening up, only no folding allowed - lol

Imagine a garage door-panels and track etc. Only instead of it being mounted to the ceiling of a garage, it's affixed to the roof and side of the bus.

Each panel has tie downs for whatever you're carrying: kayak...

So, to unload, you press the switch, the panels slide down the track with the thing attached, and easy off. Then when its time to pack up, its the reverse. And while the panel is at reach, you also ratchet strap whatever the item is.

Another idea is to do a roof raise-even one for the back third or so, and build the carrying compartment underneath that. So basically the sled etc. is under you. Hell of a lot easier to load/unload.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #69
Bus Nut

Removing the floor rails has been a breeze-relatively speaking. The only hiccups have been about three allen bolts that have the hole stripped, and the %$^*$^ allen key for the impact drill keeps getting stuck on the bolt.

My wife is running the impact drill from above, and I'm grabbing the nuts from below. I know that doesn't sound right, but it's how it is right now...

One obstacle are the two huge condensers-one on each side of the rear-that I have to remove. The bolts are such that I may have to cut them with a cutoff wheel on the grinder.

I'll see if I can post pics later of that.

Removed the inside AC units and now there are the brackets with these strange bolts/rivets. Looks like I'll have to remove the ceiling panel to get to them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7705.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	34627
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #70
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Imagine a garage door-panels and track etc. Only instead of it being mounted to the ceiling of a garage, it's affixed to the roof and side of the bus.

Each panel has tie downs for whatever you're carrying: kayak...

So, to unload, you press the switch, the panels slide down the track with the thing attached, and easy off. Then when its time to pack up, its the reverse. And while the panel is at reach, you also ratchet strap whatever the item is.

Another idea is to do a roof raise-even one for the back third or so, and build the carrying compartment underneath that. So basically the sled etc. is under you. Hell of a lot easier to load/unload.

- I've thought a lot about doing a roof raise - I have time to consider options as I don't have my bus yet - I like the idea of the most practical idea requiring the least work - lol - I've also considered removing the roof over the dog area, ( the dog boxes are already water tight ), and then just pile the sleds on top of the dog boxes like is commonly done on trucks and trailers
Old 06-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Quote:
- I've also considered removing the roof over the dog area, ( the dog boxes are already water tight ), and then just pile the sleds on top of the dog boxes like is commonly done on trucks and trailers

That's probably the best idea: sort of like a huge pickup truck with a giant double cab.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That's probably the best idea: sort of like a huge pickup truck with a giant double cab.
the only problem I see with that, as practical as it is for my use, is it would likely drastically reduce resale value when that time came
Old 06-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

What? You're planning on quitting the race circuit?!
Quote:
the only problem I see with that, as practical as it is for my use, is it would likely drastically reduce resale value when that time came
Say it ain't so!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Quote:
What? You're planning on quitting the race circuit?!Say it ain't so!
I'm 80 years old - I won't have a choice about quitting pretty soon - lol
Old 06-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
We didn't plan on growing old , not much we can do about that either. Someone asked if was trying to grow a beard. I told them , no, i'm trying not to, but it doesn't seem to be working.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Oh, c'mon! Thats only 560 in dog years...
Quote:
OK, maybe that is not a particularly good argument!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Another sled dogger might want it, especially if you've done all of the hard conversion work for them!
If you're truly concerned about resale, don't get a bus. They're constant money pits even after a full on conversion is completed on one in just maintenance costs, annual registration, safety inspections, insurance, etc...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Another sled dogger might want it, especially if you've done all of the hard conversion work for them!
If you're truly concerned about resale, don't get a bus. They're constant money pits even after a full on conversion is completed on one in just maintenance costs, annual registration, safety inspections, insurance, etc...
true enough - l'd rather not throw more money away than necessary though - lol
Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Everything was going well until I tried removing the ceiling panels. The anchor nuts for the tie-down rail that ran along the top of the windows just won't come off, and are holding the ceiling panels in place, even after undoing all the screws!

I got to look behind one and the insulation looks new, as does the paint.

Still, I want to take them off. Seems like there is better insulation that that fiberglass mat. Am I correct or incorrect in that belief?

I posted asking about getting those anchors off in another thread. Just wanted to update here. Hope its not a rule breaking thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7706.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	34680Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7707.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	34681
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #80
Bus Nut