Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #161
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Just make sure you have something between the steel and aluminum or you end up with Galvanic corrosion.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #162
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Just make sure you have something between the steel and aluminum or you end up with Galvanic corrosion.
Three thick layers of paint and a 1/4" bead of silicone for now ....
Old 07-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #163
Skoolie

Well the weekend outing was a success. Bus ran great and we all had a blast, as usual. Lots of campers came and looked at the bus and I got to have fun telling them all about it. There were two other late 70's busses there on seasonal sites that were pretty well done up. Both Thomas bodies and both Fords. Paint on both was beat but the interiors were very well done.

Here we are setup for the weekend. Blends in like an alligator at a crocodile party.

Six 1.25" thick ribeye's, four tenderloins, fried onions as well as potatoes and beans in the tinfoil. Everything was seasoned with course ground salt and pepper, which are the only things allowed on steak and potatoes under my watch. It doesn't get much better than this.

Our youngest couldn't wait to eat ! ! The VERY pregnant individual in the picture is one of the people we went with.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #164
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I love some steaks, man. Nice looking eats!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #165
Skoolie

We took the bus out for the weekend again with some family and friends. We were parked next to some very nice 5th wheel campers. Two over from us was this triple axle toy hauler monster with both a kitchen and a 50" TV outside. The guy next to him was grumbling that his was getting old and it was time for a new one, I asked how old and he said it was a 2012. I told him I had a 79' model and he got quiet fast. I grew up camping with a tent so the bus even feels like I've gone soft sometimes .....

We all went to Lake Maria Campground near New Munich, MN. It was a blast. It took a few miles of gravel to get there.

Parked at the end of a long line of "Keeping up with the Jones"

Every pickup that rolled in pulling these campers wasn't more than a few years old. I don't know how people justify spending this much money to go camping ....

It was too windy to go swimming so I sat on the dock and Miss Lily sat in the wagon in the water for a while.

My youngest kept dragging my Tang jug around. She'd pick it up and move it a few feet at a time and do it over and over again. At least she was smiling and not crabby.

Finished off with bacon and pancakes this morning. Gawsh I love bacon ! !
Old 09-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #166
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Keep it up man, keeps my hopes going seeing other Minnesotans out and about with their bus. Love the updates cant wait to see more.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #167
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Wouldve loved to see the look on that guys face when you told him yours was from the 70s too. Cant wait to show off my build to all those guys
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #168
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 48
Bamper, where abouts in Minnesota are you from? I'm in Litchfield.
QBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #169
Skoolie

Albany. You're welcome to bring the BBQ Blue Bird up here anytime if you need a taste tester.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #170
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Engine: Chevy 350
We just bought ourselves a 1970 Chevy, also in Central Minnesota. Cool to see you guys enjoying yours! Gives me hope for mine since it's in the demolition stage... cool bus!
TheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #171
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
This thread is MAKING ME HUNGRY!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #172
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
This thread is MAKING ME HUNGRY!
I could go for some bacon wrapped bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #173
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I put bacon on the bacon that I use to garnish my bacon.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #174
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I make an appetizer... something a combination of things I really made up....

it is essentially bacon fettucini in a heavy alfredo.. chilled.. cut into squares, floured, egged, breaded with panko... partially deep fried... then each cube (they are about 2.25 inches square and an inch thick) is wrapped with bacon and deep-fried to perfection...

there are 16 to a pan... and most often at a party i can make 3 pans and they still are history in the first hour or 2 of a party...

its everything my mother said NOT to eat!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #175
Skoolie

Bacon is meat candy.

We didn't make the recipe below this year whilst camping but I usually make it for dinner one evening for at least one camping trip.

It's called Cardiac Arrest

Ingredients Needed:
1lb Bacon
1lb Lean Ground Beef
1 package Cocktail Wieners (I use John Morrell but any will work)
1 Green Pepper
1 Large Onion
3 Jalapeno's
2tbs Veggie Oil
1 28oz can Maple Bacon BUSCH'S baked beans
Maple Syrup (I like Log Cabin but any will work)
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
Lawry's Seasoning Salt

STEP 1
1 Large Onion (around 1lb total)
1 Green Pepper
3 Jalapeno's

Mince all three and fry in either a generous amount of bacon grease or 2tbs veggie oil. Fry until still crunchy but not overdone. You'll know when they're done.
Once fried, place mixture aside in a container of sorts

STEP 2
1lb Bacon - cook separate for awhile so it's not raw but not crunchy either.
Add in 1lb thawed lean ground beef (lean to keep it healthy)
Add in 1 package of cocktail wieners cut in quarters
Cook all together until the ground beef is fully cooked

STEP 3
Add in 1 28oz can Maple Bacon BUSCH'S baked beans. (Has be Busch's but the Homestyle Grilled and Original taste great as well)
Add in everything from STEP 1

STEP 4

Add in a decent amount of Lawrys Seasoning Salt. Don't go crazy but don't skimp either.
Add in a generous amount of Maple Syrup (usually about 1/3 of the average sized bottles. I use Log Cabin but any will work)
Add in a very generous amount of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Half a bottle if they're the smaller ones or about a third if it's one of the big Sam's Club ones. This HAS to be Sweet baby Rays, I've tried different sauces but the sweetness in the syrup, beans, and Sweet Baby Rays works very well together.

Cook everything together, turning and stirring regularly for another few minutes.

NOTES:
I use an average run of the mill electric fry pan on 300 Degrees to cook everything and for larger batches, I just make more of what is above cooked one set at a time. I've tried cooking 3lbs bacon, then 3lbs ground beef, then the Cocktail wieners and adding them all together in a large soup pot but it doesn't taste the same. Something (okay, everything) about cooking it all with the bacon just makes it taste SOOO much better. I have swapped the Cocktail wieners out for 10 Minnesota Gold hot dogs and it was just as amazing.

This is something that a few buddies of mine came up with and we've been adding to it for a while now and experimenting with various sauces and meat combinations and this is what we all found taste the best of all of them. We never made a batch that wasn't good and even with different BBQ sauce, different beans and adding or deleting things, it still tasted great.

Have fun with the recipe, make it your own, and above all share it with whomever you want ! !
Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #176
Bus Nut

OMG this sounds amazing.... I'll have to give it a go sometime!
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #177
Bus Nut

As long as we're sharing recipes..... I haven't tried this one yet but it's on my bucket list.

GOONS WITH SPOONS - Hot Dog Rollup
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #178
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoolBus View Post
We just bought ourselves a 1970 Chevy, also in Central Minnesota. Cool to see you guys enjoying yours! Gives me hope for mine since it's in the demolition stage... cool bus!
Where abouts are you from in Central MN ??

We're in Albany.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #179
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Engine: Chevy 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamper View Post
Where abouts are you from in Central MN ??

We're in Albany.
I suppose we're more south central -- we're just outside of New Ulm.
TheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #180
Skoolie

It has been a little over 9 months since the last update and although I walk by the bus twice a day today was the first time we went in it this calendar year

Life has been absolutely CRAZY around the farm that last year with a lot going on !! Not only the usual farming stuff like getting stuck while making meadow hay ....

But exciting stuff like a new baby boy named Leo !!!

And his two sisters doing chores with me every night.

Gotta keep the calvies fed !!!

We had about 40,000yds of dirt moved this spring for the construction of a new barn.

We are building a Gold'N'Plump broiler barn. It is 60'x624' and will be home to 46,000 chickens !!! It is nowhere near done yet but hopefully will be done before the snow flies this fall !!

Mama Bear and I have laid out a few minor and a few major changes to be done to the bus this winter due to the growing family. I love that we have the ability to redo things in this old skoolie as our needs change !! She's sort of coming around to the bus idea after a half decade. Slowly but surely she'll gain the appreciation I have for these skoolies