I used a local online auction site https://www.renebates.com/
The batteries where dead, and the timing cover gasket was leaking. There was also some wiring issues and some leaky power steering hoses. We ended up winning the auction somewhat unexpectedly and suddenly had to deal with moving the bus.
I was too unsure of the long range driving condition of the bus and did not want to damage the engine putting too many miles on it without being worked on first. And then there was the registration and insurance issues that I simply avoided by towing it.
I called around to different towing companies and got a very wide range of quotes, all the way up to $900. When we found one for $400.00 we decided to go with it.