Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 8.3L Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
The Bento Bus!

Hello Everyone! I'm excited to finally be a part of a community I've wanted to join for so long. Tonight I just put in a winning bid on my dream bus, with an 8.3 Cummins rear engine format!

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2406540

I can't wait for all the new people and great advice I'll come across on this journey of building me and my fiance's new home, and I'm looking forward to picking the bus up in the next few weeks!

Bohemiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats, I love public surplus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Thank you!

After looking around a bit more, I think I may have overpaid a bit for this bus... but water under the bridge already right?

Lets hope she was worth the money! I'll be driving almost 1200 miles home in about a week once I set up a pickup date! If anyone knows a good mechanic around Bend Oregon, I'd love to have the bus given a once over so I don't strand myself in the middle of the desert somewhere
Old 08-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I can't get your link to work without registering and I am not going to do that.

So, your bus is from Bend OR? If so that's a great start since Bend is one of the driest places in Oregon.

I also have a 1995 Bluebird, but with a 5.9 rather than an 8.3.
Welcome to the forum.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

Whoops sorry about the link!

I'll have to post photos when I pick up the bus! It was operated out of the Bend-La Pine school district up until this year, and I heard there was very little rust in that area. My fingers are crossed!

I'm a bit concerned about insurance at this point, the weekend makes it a bit harder to search around. Any suggestions for temp insurance just to get it home would be amazing
Old 08-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Pictures would be great. I still haven't figured out how to do that.

Bend is somewhere near the NW edge of the Great Basin Desert. It is very dry there, at least it was when we went camping there a few times in the early 60s. There may be a little more rain now, but not much.

Your bus has most likely been kept outside its entire life, but you still won't see much if any rust.

I ended up with Progressive insurance for non-commercial use of a commercial vehicle. I cannot recommend that as any thing other than a desperate measure if all else fails.

I have not yet had my Washington Bus Title converted into an Oregon motorhome title. Progressive will dump me when I tell them I've done this, because they insure owner bus conversions, but exclude both schoolbuses and transit buses as "unacceptable". So Progressive insurance on a bus can only be seen as transitional.

I think you should try your regular insurance agency and see what they say.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

It's been a while! Looking for Electrical Help

Howdy Skoolie friends!

I'm finally committing to the skoolie life, and will be selling my house in the next month or so to fund the project. I'm currently sitting with a gutted bus that I'll have to drive 45 minutes to the lot I'm storing it at, but I'm having some issues tracking down all the electrical gremlins I'm having.

The first issue I'm having is that I definitely don't have brake lights. I found 2 air switches under the dash with a yellow air line and a black air line leading in and a red and black wire coming out. I assummed these were the switch(s) for the brake lights, but I'm trying to find a wiring diagram to sort out the rats nest that accumilated under the dash in the last 24 years lol!

While gutting the bus, I un-installed the floor dimmer while I removed the plywood under the seat and dash. Now, keep in mind I haven't so much as started the bus in over a year; I have absolutely no idea what wires went into the floor dimmer, leaving me with a pretty big lack of headlights

Does anyone have a 95-ish era Bluebird TC2000 wiring diagram source, or even a photo of the wiring leading into their floor dimmer? If you happen to have info on where the brake switch is for the air brakes, that would also be infinitely helpful! I know I have to wire it inline but I don't see any loose wires dangling under the dash around that area. Thanks so much for any assistance!

-Dylan