Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #171
Bus Geek

The hitch is on and everything lines up beautifully! I'll work at getting some photos of the hitch....

here a photo of hte bus and the trailer on it's maiden voyage.

I also bought a pair of new steer tires yesterday! OUCH! About $525 for the pair after taxes and mounting. I took the wheels off the bus and remounted them after the tires were changed, but as for putting the new rubber on the rims: I let the pro's do that. I wanted to buy some used steer tires, but just couldn't find any.

that trailer looks small compared to the massive bus, but it's a 16 foot trailer.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #172
Bus Nut

That looks great.

How does it stop?

Did you have it bolted or wealded on?

I was showing this to a guy I work with, who used to work at a custom hitch shop. He was saying that they had a hitch on a chruch bus that kept breaking the bolts off. I guess they figured it was because of the tounge weight and the rigid suspension on a bus. He said they fixed it by wealding and bolting it to the frame... Just something to think about.

Plus I know you never have any issues towing with your bus... except that time you almost lost your VW.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #173
Bus Geek

it's welded to the frame by a guy who spent his career welding for the general motors corporation. He sais I won't have any problems. The trip to bm and back will be a good test!

It's a pretty light trailer. The enclosure is made from alluminum. I don't think the bus will even know it's back there when it comes to stopping. I think the trailer loaded with stuff will weigh less than the water in the jacuzzi.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #174
Bus Geek

Spent the day at a HUGE classic car cruise yesterday. It's the annual Woodward Dream Cruise. Spent all day cruising about 3 mph in stop and go traffic surrounded by delorians, classic hot rods, lamborghinis, tricked out pickup trucks, and about every other sort of customized, exotic or classic road worthy vehicle you could immagine. Having a mobile party on wheels sure is a good time. We pick up random people who are standing along the road. There are thousands and thousands of spectators.

I did not use the flame thrower at all yesterday, but i was tempted. Especially after watching some of the old hot rods shoot small flames out of their tailpipes. I was thinking to myself "you call that a flame? I'll show you a flame" lol

People love the bus!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #175
Bus Geek

i leave friday for burningman 06

the bus has 11 passengers

plus we're caravaning with another busload of people

and an SUV with 3 people.

Should be a great adventure.

I've changed the oil, replaced the air filter, fuel filter, bought new steer tires, in the past several months the bus got a new alternator, and a new 8D battery. Mechanically she is ready to go.

As usual i have lots of projects that have not yet been completed, but nearly everything critical is finished with the exception of the roof. I'll have to re-attach the old roof. This time i think i'll weld little brakets to the roof so i can bolt it on. That will make for much easier removal.

I also have a pair of double zero welding cables with the proper ends on the way to run my 2000 watt inverter. I have a fridge, a freezer, and a small jacuzzi pump that i plan to run while driving.

Wish me luck! I'll try to take lots of photos along the way

The man burns in 11 days!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #176
Bus Nut

Your Hydraulic problem...

Jason,
A while ago I was watching "DIRTY JOBS" on the Discovery Channel and they profiled some moving company that used hydraulic jacks that were all tied in together, (I don't know how, I'm not a hydraulics guy), but the manifold lifted them all equally and kept everything level. Maybe try getting in touch with one of those heavy hauler house movers and see what they use, and see if you can get that Jcuzzi up through the roof without that twisting problem
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:37 AM   #177
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
You could get a small circuit board and some flow meters that would turn an individual flow valve on and off for each cylinder.

This is very nice and easy to program board for making things like that.

http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant....tegory_Code=EP
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #178
Bus Geek

Just returned home. Total roundrip miles: 4,811

Vehicle weight on the way to nevada: 34,800pounds EEK!(including trailer)

I'll try to put the bus on a scale in the near future once i get her all cleaned out and see how much she weighs empty. My guess is about 20K pounds.

Number of passengers: 11 on the way out, 8 on the way home (including me)

Number of flat tires: 2 (both on the trailer)

Number of bicycles on the roof: 47 (half on trailer, half on bus)

Unknown gallons of diesel fuel

zero gallons of veggie...i needed all the power i could get!

Quarts of engine oil used: 2

gallons of engine coolant: lots! She got hot enough i stopped to let her cool down once on a HUGE hillclimb heading east out of salt lake city. IF i had topped off on coolant first i think we would have made the crest of the hill! It wsa not helped by the fact that i lost my radiator cap and couldn't find another one. When engine temp got to 195 i stopped to let her cool. She normally runs 170 degrees.

Parts needing repair or replaced: 1 alternator*, 2 belts (had the belts on board)

*had alternator rebuilt just a few months ago.

About 5pm on a sunday nite in elko nevada my alternator started rattling a lot. The bearings were really loose, so we stopped an spent the nite in a motel. The next morning we had the alternator at the rebuild shop, and the technition (a man who looked about 112 years old) said that whoever rebuilt the alternator last time forgot to install a retaining clip that holds the bearing in place. Cost me $100 because the loose shaft destryoed the backing plate as well. I'm gonna try to get my local alternator guy (who forgot to install the retaining clip) to re-imburse me for the cost of the repair.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #179
Bus Geek

took nearly everything except the jacuzzi out of bus yesterday, parked the rear wheels on a curb and sprayed the entire bus out with a garden hose starting from the ceiling and working my way down. Unopholstered all of the seats and took the black velvet to the landromat and washed all of it.

Today i'm at work. Tomorrow i'll put everything back together.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #180
Bus Geek

i installed the propane injection system. geez that was easy!

one thing i found is that a full 20# propane cylinder cannot provide more than 5psi through a 1/4" ID hose for more than a couple of minutes. I think some sort of tank heater is in order. Using a 100# cylinder would cure that problem, but it's difficult to move the big cylinder around.

only gives me about 5mph faster climbing cemetary hill, but you sure can feel the difference in acceleration on flat ground. Is the system really necessary? IDK....I got the pyrometer but have yet to install it, i need to get on that!

I'll try to post photos in the next few days

next big bus project i'd like to finish before winter is a different gear ratio. I'd really like a 444 or 410....we'll see what i can find for cheap. I think a gear ratio change could pay for itself on just 1 long trip. I spent $2,800 on fuel for the trip to nevada and back.