Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
Duh I feel like the most stupidest person in the world. I got my hepVo valve the other day & decided to try my hand at putting the plumbing to the kitchen sink. I pulled out the various plumbing parts that Hubby has already bought, divided into two piles. One for waste and one for water intake. Cool, opened up my HepVo package & added that to the waste pile and put the other pile in a bag & put back away.

Now, I got this pile of parts so I grab the most obvious the sink drain that connects to the sink and look around at my pile, look at the diagram from the hepVo package, look back at my pile & grab the 6 inch or so metal pipe that I know goes next from the sink assembly. I unscrew the fixtures to the assembly and of course, all the washers & such go flying all over the table (which means, I'm gonna have a lot of leaks cause some of these washers are different from one side to the next and as they all flew out, I don't know how to put them back in, which goes first, which is up or which side is down.)

First attempt attaching the 6 inch chrome pipe to the basket. Nope, not happening. Can get it together if I leave out the plastic gasket (which I know I can't do). Ok, attempt #2. Grab whatever you can connect together and connect it. Hey, not to bad. I got the hepVo valve, connected to the elbow it came with, connected to the sink. Well, that kind of looks like the picture, sort of. I still got some round black adapter thingy that Hubby bought, the chrome straight pipe and the last of the plastic connectors from the hepVo package. None of them fit anything else I already got together.

Well, I know I'm not done cause I'm still not out of the cabinet and what I ended up with has threads and I don't think I need a threaded piece to hook up my hose. I look back around on the table & still have nothing left that'll fit.

So, I grab my coffee, cigs, cell phone and off I go into the house to search on the web and see if I can find some help there. I searched Google, Google Skoolies, Skoolies , Dogpile, various sites & forums I have marked as favorites, even started searching Rv store sites and the best I came up with is below:

Now, I know (and so do all of you now know) that I'm ridiculously dumb when it comes to this plumbing crap, but this is not helping me identify and put together anything that I have on the table in the bus.

So, I grab up my coffee, my cigs, my cell phone and walk back into the bus, take another good look at the pile on the table, go sit down, take a sip of coffee, light up a cig, get up and once again look at the pile. I now got this fancy diagram above, the diagram off the hepVo valve and a pile of things in all states of assembly, actually more than I started with since everytime I took apart something, I'd end up with a bunch more of washers & compression fittings.

So, after a minute or two, I disassemble what I had managed to put together and threw it all in a plastic bag, grabbed my coffee, my cigs & my cell phone and with tears in my eyes, slowly finding their way down my cheeks went back into the house.

Now at this point Hubby (whose been down for the count and I know better than to even ask him his name when he's ill) wants to know what's in the bag. I tell him what I've been doing & the story above and said "I'm taking it all over to HD in the morning and see if they can help me put this mess together" and I proceeded to head to the bedroom where the computer is to find some stupid easy game to play and take my mind off how ignorant I am.

Next I hear coming from the other room is Hubby going through the bag and trying his hand at what I wanted to do. I watch as he puts this here & that there and actually has added on one more piece than I had. Now he's still got the 6 in chrome pipe and the black adapter piece not attached.

End of story (and I hope you all got a fairly decent chuckle out of this...and don't we all need one now & then) Hubby says "things just ain't adding up here, so let's put it all in the bag and we'll go to HD tomorrow. I'll figure out what we don't need and return it and buy what we do need without any of them Yahoos from HD clogging up the works".

:surre nder:

So long story short, I should have put together the water side of the sink.
#1 rule: *hit always runs downhill
#2 rule: it could always be worse

Old 07-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
That is hilarious!
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Love it...will be using that idea when it comes time for me to do the crapper plumbing.

Kind of reminds me of my first bus. Check the back window for vehicles behind and how far behind before using the kitchen sink to pee. (no holding tanks on that bad girl) In the hole at the top and out the hole in the bottom.

Hubbys favorite saying :The sinks if full of dishes and there's no place to piss"

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Hubbys favorite saying :The sinks if full of dishes and there's no place to piss"

[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I like the guy already.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post

Who thinks of this stuff, LMAO!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Ah, the "euro urinal".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Simple but functional...love it
Old 07-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #28
Almost There

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Ward
Engine: Ford 391 V8
That cone-toilet is looking like a pretty dandy idea right about now! Plumbing is my new least-favorite thing, I think. LOL
maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Bus Nut

If my experience with installing the crapper is anywhere close to what I went through with the sink drain then THAT picture may very well be the extent of my crapper install.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
If my experience with installing the crapper is anywhere close to what I went through with the sink drain then THAT picture may very well be the extent of my crapper install.
To funny....lmao!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
I like the built in foot rest! Comfort dumper!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #32
Bus Nut

The only problem with that install is where my crapper will be located

You can barely see it (just behind the fridge). And I have a built in foot rest too.

Come to think about it, tis not a problem for us. Just need to put a big "STAY BACK- DO NOT FOLLOW TOO CLOSE" sign on the back of the bus.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #33
Bus Nut

This was Clints great grandmothers pie safe. We plan to take it with us. My problem is I don't want to put holes in it but I need to secure it to the side of the bus. I can handle putting angle iron brackets on the legs but I'm not sure about securing it from the top.
My original thought is to strap it to the raceway with toggle bolts. Would putting a toggle in there create a problem any wires that may be in there? Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #34
Bus Nut

I was surprised that no one had anything to add about how to mount this in the bus.

I brought the thread back in the event that for some reason people didn't see it.

I really could use ideas on how to attach this without putting many holes in it.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #35
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
think leather belts bolted to the wall. if not extremely tight, your safe will turn to kidlin in short order.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Piece of rope?
Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
think leather belts bolted to the wall. if not extremely tight, your safe will turn to kidlin in short order.
Wow, stranger.... we're still waitin on those pics!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I can tell you that I had a dresser my wife picked out sitting on the driver's side wheel well. It lasted there for several miles, almost to the destination. It fell during a turn and isn't pretty but I told her I would rebuild it. that piece you have is too nice to let anything happen to it.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Unhappy

Quote:
This was Clints great grandmothers pie safe. We plan to take it with us. My problem is I don't want to put holes in it but I need to secure it to the side of the bus. I can handle putting angle iron brackets on the legs but I'm not sure about securing it from the top.
My original thought is to strap it to the raceway with toggle bolts. Would putting a toggle in there create a problem any wires that may be in there? Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do?
I have opened up and ran more wiring in my raceways and a toggle in my mind is possible if you mark the hole you want! for the toggle on the raceway cover and the the wall just above or below remove the raceway look at and inspect the wiring in the area you would like a toggle then move it out of the way so that the toggle or bolt does not rub?
If you are going to go through the effort to do that I would recommend a cap nut and stick a stud through the raceway. Either way you need to protect the wire from rubbing.
How about instead of angle iron legs? Build a full stand. Anchor to the floor and and some through bolts in the bottom of the cabinet. Even if the front stand piece is flat bar
No need to anchor to the race way.
Love the piece my texas family has a Hoosier cabinet I wanted to put in mine? But I am not there.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
IMO

Nothing you do to secure that cabinet from the bottom will do any good. Leverage will tear it loose.

Stop dragging your feet and just drill some holes in the right place. Measure 3 times, and drill once.

Holes in fine wood can be filled one day if you move back into a house.

The damage that piece will suffer from falling, ect will be far worse than a few #14 holes to properly secure it to the wall.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote