Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
My closet---->wish me luck getting all my clothes in there

I took the drawer that came out of the island when we put in the sink & fit it in the closet. We got the door for this done (modified from the original frame from the wardrobe we demolished) just haven't put it up yet.

We had a back on the whole closet but cut it down so that every now & then I can open the window and air it out. "Cheaper than a laundromat". LOL

Still haven't figured out the "DO NOT OPEN" on the window as I, of course, had to open it to find out why and it opened & closed fine. (Our luck, the whole window will probably fall out now when going down the road)

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Rudy went to doggie heaven today

Rudy (Evinrude) went to go see her brother Johnson today. Of all the dogs, she loved riding the most. On out trip to TN, Vixen hid under the bed, Prancer spent his time in the back corner trying to dig his way out & off but Rudy just kind of hung out on the bed, bouncing around and sometimes off of it everytime we hit a bump.

She loved to look out the window and feel the breeze hit her face as we drove.

She and Johnson loved riding. All we had to say was "who wants to go boat" and they would both be at the truck waiting to go. When we got there, they would be down the dock and in the boat before we could even get stuff unloaded to take on board with us.

Johnson was not around to see the bus, I'm sure he would love it as much as the boat, but all I had to do was open the door and tell Rudy to go to bus, whenever I went out to work on it and she ran right to it.

Sure gonna miss her when it comes time to travel full time.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Well Damn, damn, double damn!!!!

Someone or something is sure trying hard to stop us from finishing out the bus and getting on the road FT. I truly believe in omens however; I am not ready to heed this yet.

First, I lost my 16 yr cat, then my 12 year old beagle. Both would have loved "being skoolies". Then...... as the old adage goes "things happen in threes".

I refuse to believe that.

At the VA hospital today Clint & I were told that he has a rare form of cancer called "neuro endocrine". Stage 4 and incurable. He is laying in a hospital bed as I write as his doctor immediately admitted him after seeing this mornings blood work results.

Everything happens so quickly today that we have not had time to have a good talk about options. Right now all he wants is for "the pain to go away".

I told him before I left today that I was going home and throw myself "one big pity party" and suggested he do the same, cause as I told him "in the morning and from now on there with be nothing but positive thinking allowed in the house".

Please join us in throwing some positive thinking our way if you would. Thanks, Sharlene (AKA: Booger)
Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yall are really great people...
I've had a lot of bad news in the last several years, and I feel like I should have something to say to you right now- but all I know is that laughter and smiles are VERY good for the soul and the body.
I'm struggling to find what I'm trying to say, but my heart truly goes out to you two. I know we all here are sending you all our warmest thoughts and prayers.

"The best way to cheer someone else is to cheer yourself up" - Mark Twain
^That advice is something that has helped me, and this-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Stay strong. Enjoy life together and get out of the hospital environment as much as possible.

As a word warning hospitals have a financial interest in keeping you there, but you have the right to know if further treatment will do more harm than good. Make sure they listen to you. Painkillers can be administered at home or even in a bus to allow you to fully enjoy your time together.
Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Over the years I've been through a lot of doctors and hospitals. From experience
I prefer Holistic medicine over Allopathic medicine. In this situation I would check out
the Budwig diet and also go to earthclinic.com and look under ailments. Truly sorry
to hear your news, just stay positive and pray. Our prayers are with you.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Just realized I haven't been around lately. Clints progress is as we expected, full of ups & downs.

We haven't gotten much done on the bus lately. Probably no more no less than if he wasn't sick. It's cold outside, we hibernate in the winter. Had chance to do a good bit of talking and plan to move the bus down back on the other side of the hill (we're on 4 1/2 acres). Out of sight to the road & great view of the back 3+ acres. It'll be like camping in the backyard.

This spring we need to get a little bit bigger path to get the bus back there. Neighbor already said he would help us with that when the time comes as he has a bobcat. We need to look over the way in. Either down the driveway to the cabin which will require cutting a corner out of the bank or we can cut across his property & get her in that way.

Which ever way we go, we do want to be able to pull her out when Clint gets to feeling better. This way we can still work on her & on getting the house emptied out. We haven't decided whether to rent or sell off the house as that would require sub dividing the property if we were to sell. But the thought of renters kind of sucks too. With these new steps added we get more time to decide. Either way we will get to enjoy the bus & all the work we've done on her.

So bottom line in we are still on track but just added a few steps along the way. Happy travels everyone!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Hey Everyone, so sorry I haven't updated y'all. The paragraphs itialized & in maroon are regarding Hubbys update on his illness. Fee free to scroll down to bus update for those of you that want to read about our bus progress.

Things are about the same with Hubby, good days & bad days. Interesting update though. Hospice is now involved. Talk about confusion, I have to work twice as hard to keep things straight here. As he's with the VA they are still taking active steps towards treatment yet they signed Hospice up to assist with keeping things crawling along. Hospice told me are not chartered to work towards getting him better and they are here to keep him as pain free till he dies. The VA as mentioned is chartered to control the spreading of cancer although they can never get it completely gone. So we're dealing with a push me pull me situation. This all came up after his week spent at the hospital & 2 different visits to the ER. His body can't control his levels (sodium, potassium & calcium) and when one of them goes kerplunk he goes into what we call Zombie state. We had it all worked out with the VA to control these levels, basically not wait 3 or 4 days but immediately get him to the lab for blood work which will determine which level is causing it and immediately to the ER for treatment. That's not allowed under Hospices rules...I told them tough ****, I was still going that route which they replied that since we were still under the VA umbrella we could but we had to notify Hospice so they could send someone with paperwork for us to sign to remove them from the case. Got meeting with Primary Wednesday to talk about it.

The bus is coming along slowly, We now have running water or at least a means of storing & using water filling the tank thru the window with a hose. We haven't bit the bullet & drilled any connections yet for shore power & water. I know what I need to get & the installation seems easy enough (famous last words, huh?). We have the crapper plumbing run thru the floor yet haven't gotten our black/grey tank yet. The electric will be contracted out as I have never dealt with hooking up a generator so I've decided to just have someone come over to do the panel & genny hook up. I will run the lines at a later date. I will have questions later but can rough it as it sits for now till other things are done.

We had to add another step into our full timing plans and I have been working on getting that done. Mainly clearing up things down back & emptying out the barn so that we can drive the bus down there & move into it till we can get on the road. We have to empty the barn before the bus moves in as there will not be any room for a truck to get to the barn with it parked where it will be. We had an unexpected week of great weather which allowed me the opportunity to clear a path to the barn & I've got someone lined up to help me empty it out. It's a tiny barn & should be done in a day or two but the weather turned again so we're on hold.

I have 2 medium size trees that need to come down so my neighbor can come over with his bobcat to cut out a little more of the corner out for the bus to make the turn to her home base. I placed a call to the electric company to come cut the tops off as the electrical wires to the cabin are running between the 2 trees. Once that's done we can clear out the rest of them. It's been a few weeks & I haven't heard from them so I need to call back.

Plans are to be down there by summer so I'm ahead of schedule and feeling pretty good about the progress.

Still got fingers crossed that we'll be able to camp locally at least in the very near future. Time will tell.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Working down back has ceased for awhile. Clint took a turn for the worse & has spent more time in the hospital than at home. I finally arranged it to get him home. Once home we worked on getting him off the drugs they had him on. Come on people, he has been having pain for over 3 years now and the best you could do was give him 800mg Tylenol, tell him to quit drinking, smoking pot & cigarettes.

Now they got him so drugged up he can't even get out of bed to take a leak. He looks at us as though he's never seen us before in his life. Well, good news is that he's up & about, walking to the bathroom, calling me & the dogs by names, recognizing people on the phone.

It was a short lived adventure as he passed away on the 21st. I never even knew he was a closet Prince fan, yet he took off with him on Thursday & left me with the dogs.

It's rough not gonna make light of that but time heals all wounds & once I get feeling better (down fall of being 24X7 caretaker with no help for a couple weeks) it'll be back to the old grind.

Got Ghostrider coming down from Ellijay sometime next week. I need help on getting electricity run. Told him, he come with me to get what I need & explain it to me, I'll do the work. It's fairly easy, unfortunately I've forgotten more than most people every knew about electricity (I spent a couple years as an environmental engineer examining & writing up reports on what needed to be done to keep the Customers computers running consistently.)

It's just installing in a bus & having the right parts hanging out in the end to plug into shore power is all new to me. It'll be an adventure. I think I just may forget about incorporating the genny into the mix for the time being.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
While it's some small relief to hear Clint's suffering has finished, I'm saddened to read of your loss. I pray you may soon find the peace and healing you need and deserve for your dedicated service to Clint.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Removing back AC unit & installing window unit

It's been over a month since Clint left me. I've been doing a few things in the bus, mostly organizing what's there. Gathered & sorted all of his tools from the house, the cabin & in the bus into separate piles of wrenches, sockets etc. He had gone thru all of his tools last summer & kept only what he figured he would need to work on the bus & the Nissan so I didn't get rid of anything. I did mess up with putting all the sockets in one box, only to realize half way that he had them separate for a reason SAE & metric so I had to go back & re sort them out.

Next plan was to build out a small cabinet to store all tools in, something he never got around to doing. My guess is he couldn't decide what to build or at least that's where I'm at. After getting everything in one place I think I am going to just come up with containers to store everything in (right now they are sorted into gallon baggies) and place them all in the basement bay. WHAT ARE SOME IDEAS FOR SORTING & STORING? My first thought is the Army issued ammo boxes but I am opened for any ideas.

It's starting to get real hot in the bus as it is sitting in the direct sun all day & I am really thinking about installing a window unit. My original idea was to cut a hole & install a unit above the back door. My problem is that the original AC is across the back & I am unsure how hard that would be to remove. I may just install one window in the back drivers side as the other side is blocked off. The problem I'm facing with removing the window is the hoses & electrical that come off the AC unit & go down to the bay runs smack dab down the center of the window so it will have to be removed. I need some ASSISTANCE ON WHAT'S INVOLVED. Eventually, I may tackle removing the upper unit. My neighbor has a welding setup in his garage & would be able to cut a whole quite easy but for now will settle on just getting one installed in the window so that I can work on the bus without passing out from the heat. LOL I've read about removing the window & it appears to be something even I could do.

Any input from y'all is gratiously welcomed on pros & cons on each idea. Ideal, I would like the unit across the back gone but being on my own now with little to no help I need to take the easiest route. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #72
Bus Geek

is the back partitioned off for a bedroom?

taking unit out, with big back window and replacing with sheet metal/steel tube to give a wall is best bet

do you have a mid section door emergency exit?

do you have a small ac now? you will actually need atleast 2 5000/6000 btu to cool bus, that will require more than a normal household 15 amp plug in, if back is partitioned than 1 unit will keep it nice and cool, and a couple fans moving air will help
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #73
Bus Nut

You can best see my set up in posting #10 pictures. I don't have a mid section door and the best I can see is either install in rear above door, back window or in front about windshield.

I don't expect it to cool the whole bus but as you said with small fans can direct at least a breeze through the rest of the bus. I have 3 small dual fan window fans that I could use for that.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
In the bus I have a 5k btu unit and a 8k unit.

FWIW, my 5000btu AC uses 21a to start and runs at 3a (in the bus).
My 6000btu unit uses 25a to start and 5a to run (in the house).
My 8000btu (in the bus) uses a bit more than the 6.

At home I am plugged into a 15a house breaker and I can run the 5 (in the bus), then start the 8 (in the bus) w/o tripping the breaker.

When plugged into a CG 30a service there's never a problem.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #75
Bus Nut

For now, since I won't be getting on the road for a few months (if ever). I'll just have to rewire the cabins panel to accommodate an AC, 5 cu ft freezer & a small fridge in the bus. Not using anything in the cabin now except a small freezer that I need to unplug & move to the door to defrost & give away & a few overhead lights when I go down there.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Someone from another site suggested putting a small unit in one of my emergency windows, something I hadn't even considered. It would be a temporary fix till I could get her moved down back but it would be super quick. Haven't asked what they suggest doing to keep it up there though. I really don't want to screw anything into the side of the bus for something temporary like that.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Imagine looking at the side of a window unit resting on a window sill near the front edge of the unit. The outside end of the unit is heavy and wants to fall downward, right? As it does so the top surface of the unit would pull out of the window. So fasten some kind of bar to the top of the unit, inside the window, so that the bar is pulled against the inside of the wall by the weight of the unit hanging outside. Now it wants to move in a different way: the unit pivots around that top bar; the bottom of the unit pushes inward a bit. So fasten another bar to the bottom of the unit, but on the outside of the wall, to prevent the bottom of the unit moving inward.

This arrangement certainly isn't road-worthy, but it would be adequate to keep a cooler perched in a window while the bus isn't moving anywhere. Also it doesn't require any fasteners installed into the bus.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #78
Bus Nut

That would work...need to think on that. I could screw a bar across top & bottom using the screw holes that hold the whole window in. Not in an ideal place for a bar but would do the job. Just need to come up with blocks of some sort longer than the part that protrudes in or I guess real long screws.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for your needs if its portable and isnt going to be running while on the road.. get a portable standalone A/C that has TWO hoses (NOT a single hose).. and the unit sits on the floor of the bus and the 2 hoses could easily be fitted to a metal plate and placed in one of the bus windows opened up... they look like dryer hoses.. you empty the water buclet on the unit every so often... im assuming you have the bus sitting at a house where you can plug into real power and are not on a generator all the time? in an uninsulated bus you will need 12,000 BTU if you can get it...

these units can be bought new or often are sold uses.. remember the TWO hose type give the most efficiency... otherwise you are partially ducking your cooled air and blowing it out of the bus...

no weight to support as the weight sits on the floor...

I ordered one for me to work inside the bus but havent got it yet or id show you pics..

if you plan to run your bus on the road alot once its complete.. then keep the original A/C units as those are very nice... if you want to remove them I may be interested in those units if they are not damaged or destroyed when removed.. (I have a friend that wants to add A/C to his bus)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #80
Bus Nut

I've looked into the portables but I was hoping to use what I currently have on hand for a temporary fix. I may just chuck the whole rear AC install & put one in the front above the windshield. At least I won't have to worry about what to do with the bus AC. I can just forget its there. I also have been thinking that I could still put one out the back window but on the passenger side & not the drivers side. I just need to swap the freezer & pie safe around. Not as ideal as the other side due to a skinny cabinet built into the bus already about 2 1/2 ft from the back but it would work. I was just hoping to hear someone say I could just get rid of the cables/hoses coming the bus AC & put it easily in that window. but......