Old 07-12-2016, 03:21 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
So much for putting an AC in right now. With 100 ft extension cords the draw is too much & the compressor won't kick on. I haven't tried a shorter cord yet, my neighbor is going to check to see if he may have one for me to use. I just put it on a table, ass end out the window to test it for now.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its not the length as much as it is the wire gauge.. you need to get heavier gauge cords t orun an A/C on 100 feet.. they will be PRICEY but you may need 12 or 10 gauge cords depending on how much your A/C pulls... 100 feet of wire is 100 feet of wire whether its the real distance or just the wire in a pile on the ground... voltage drop is real..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Harbor Freight has some nice10 gauge 100 and 50 gauge cords cords at a reasonable price.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #84
Bus Nut

I'll need to check them out. I'm pretty close to getting my electric run throughout. Funny story, I had a man stop by to inquire if I was going to sell the black truck out in the yard. The black truck happens to be "Black Jack", Clints 87 Chevy Silverado 4X4 all original that's been sitting in the same spot for about 9 years. Long story about why but not now. I told him that yes, he was thinking on it, told him the bottom line and jokingly thru in "and if you know of anyone that can help me get electricity put in the bus that would be great".

Seems he had just finished converting & putting in electric on a toy hauler he has. He bought the truck & had to come back a couple days in a row trying to get it running & the last trip he did a walk thru with me of the bus & said he'll put together a list of what I need & a ball park figure to go by as I told him I would like to check the web first before just buying everything as HD.

Clint & I had always planned to have the wall plugs just down from the sills with the wires running in a groove cut out of the foam. Jimmy talked of other ways to accomplish what we wanted but with less work. I even mentioned the possibility of hooking the genny in line (which if I was to do this on my own I would have just sold it and moved on).

Seems the Universe figures that I passed all the other shitty test its thrown at me
& has decided to give me a break. Thank You!

Fingers crossed XX here.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #85
Bus Nut

composting toilet

I currently have a Jabsco waterless toilet installed but haven't bought my black tank yet. I have always wondered why I couldn't put in the composting toilet I have down back in the cabin.

I didn't persue this as Clint was adamant about "it not going in the bus".

I am now back to wondering. I have a Sun-Mar Centrex 2000 NE that's been set up & not used for the past 9 years. the link shows Central Composting Toilets by Sun-Mar

I was thinking I may have more than enough room under the bus for the composting unit and was wondering if anyone has anything to offer up on this idea.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
its not the length as much as it is the wire gauge.. you need to get heavier gauge cords t orun an A/C on 100 feet.. they will be PRICEY but you may need 12 or 10 gauge cords depending on how much your A/C pulls... 100 feet of wire is 100 feet of wire whether its the real distance or just the wire in a pile on the ground... voltage drop is real..
-Christopher
This reminds me of the time I bought my house 8 yrs ago, I parked my Class C in the front yard to sleep in while I worked on the house it was in the 100deg so I had a 100ft cord on a reel I was using to plug in the RV & run the AC full blast all day, so as I was walking outside I heard the AC surging & thought to myself , Why is it doing that? I walked into the garage & there was my cord reel melting into a pile of glob.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #87
Bus Nut

AC & extensions cords

I'd of **** my pants if that had happened. I made sure that I kept feeling the cord plugged into the AC & the other end plugged into the wall. When the plug started feeling hot I unplugged it. That's when I figured the extension cord wasn't heavy enough.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #88
Bus Nut

I was at HD today getting some electrical stuff for my wiring & I walked by the extension cords. YIPEEES, Over $100+ for a 100 ft 10 gauge cord.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #89
Bus Nut

Electrical layout help welcomed

This is going to be my Gospel according to Sharlene as to what will be where. I wasn't going to get into this but talking with a friend on my homepage I did this up. My questions is in regards to the Drivers side. How many runs would I run & what can I connect to each one. I have a 6 breaker load center so breakers are not an issue. I only have 2 requests, 1 my laptop cannot connect with fridge or freezer due to cycling of the motors in regards to EMI interference & I do not want to play the "if I plug this in will I have to shut off something else in the galley" so I don't trip a breaker. I'm open to any & all discussions on this.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...15&oe=58320C2A
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
I was at HD today getting some electrical stuff for my wiring & I walked by the extension cords. YIPEEES, Over $100+ for a 100 ft 10 gauge cord.
I'd call that an "investment"... Chances are you wouldn't need to replace it for many years! So, divide years of use by $100 and it's cheaper than continually buying cheap cords every 6months or each year.

Kinda why I prefer Michelin tires for my primary vehicle... Sure, initial expense hits the wallet hard! But, when they last 5 years, they're cheaper than yearly tires.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote