Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
The Breeze

[img]various pictures from PC b4 I restored 003.JPG[/img]
The Breeze---as she sits in the boneyard.

Hey All, I've around for quite a while but haven't been able to get pictures over here. I decided come hell or high water I was going to successfully attempt it one more time. With MALKIERE'S instructions to RUBY ROTTEN off I went. Didn't get the results I should have gotten on the very first step....great. So I kept farting around and as I am looking at a picture of the ol girl I can only hope y'all can too.

I'm quitting right here to "submit" and see how I did. If successful I will continue on with Clint & I's journey of creating what will soon be "Our Home".

Booger1k & Clint
Attached Thumbnails
various pictures from PC b4 I restored 003.JPG  

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: The Breeze

You got it my man. Keep them pics rolling!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

We bought her back in October of 2012. She was in the movie "Firelight" with Cuba Gooding Jr. Here's a picture of how she looked when we saw her. She's all decked out with sealed off back door and bars on the windows and a gate to keep the "inmates in, from the Correctional Facility"

The dirt on the outside turned out to be movie makeup and did not wash off. I had to go over the whole outside with stripper, that I had to immediately do a "wipe on/wipe off" that would have put the Karate Kid to shame. Below is how she looked after her first bath

...and yes that is me after our first night at the first Annual Skoolie Meet in TN.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat

Sweet bus!

Skoolie meet in TN? When and where was it?

Man I always miss the good stuff.........
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Last August we met up with a few peeps from here. I think Grey Eagle has all the pictures.

We tried to get a 2nd Skoolie Rally going for this year...but for some reason everything just fizzled out, too bad had a good time.

As we hadn't gotten far in our conversion I said we would be there even if we had to sleep on the floor, keep our beer in a cooler and **** in a bucket. It came close to that, but worth the trip. We got to meet GreyEagle, Ghostrider and Travelingwithus. We also met ????? (I never did really get his name) from Georgia.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65

cool bus! does your horse bite?
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

I like your bus. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I noticed that you have a roof railing on top. Make sure you seal all those fasteners well.

Skoolie Met in TN??? I wished I'd known. I'd come for sure. I don't live all that far from you.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Bus Nut

We lucked out with her. With Clint under the bus breaking the bolts and me inside holding the heads, each and every bolt came out without incident. With fingers crossed, we removed the matting and the rotted wood floor. The metal floor had a few tiny rusty spots, none completely rusted through. Clint took the sander and ground off all the rust and we applied a rust inhibitor. We can't remember the name, got it at Home Depot. I suppose they are all pretty much the same. I got a gallon of primer from my favorite store "THE RESTORE" (all sales go towards Habitat for Humanity) for $6.00. I had splurged and ordered a 5 gallon package of HY-TECH and added the required amount to the primer and covered the whole floor. I then added more HYTECH to a gallon of oil based KILZ (another $6.00 find at my fav store) and covered the flooring with that.

The plywood is 3/8 inch. We were going for 1/2" but when Clint mentioned our bus conversion to a Customer of his, he was offered "as much as we needed of the 3/8th for free. The price was right so 3/8 is working fine on the floor. I plan on putting a coat of KILZ down and painting the floor once we got everything installed.

As plans for the inside go, they have changed and changed and changed some more. Doesn't everyone's? All I knew from my original plan was that I DID NOT WANT A STRAIGHT PATH FROM THE FRONT OF THE BUS TO THE REAR. I designed my kitchen to be off to one side so you had to swerve around it to get to the rear. I wanted to typical horseshoe triangle of sink, stove & fridge. One day at the RESTORE we came across an island that was for sale for $70.00.

Once in the bus it seemed to take over the whole kitchen....I loved it, I hated it. I loved the fact that it has 6 slide out shelved and doors. That was all. I about abandoned the horseshoe design but because this island was sooooooo huge and wide . I struggled and swung it around so it went from side to side as I didn't want the beauty of the details to be hidden up against the wall. Even though it's 24" deep & 46" long.

I already had planned to paint everything, walls, cabinets and whatever else wasn't moving a light grey and I felt "kind of bad" painting it but I did it anyway. The left drawer has been taken out and we dropped in a stainless steel sink (another $5.00 find from the RESTORE). I took the front off the drawer and painted it to match the right one and we will be hinging it and putting it back on to hide a small area for dish sponges and such. The color and design is the same all around.

What you see in the front will be our "dining area". Ah, give me time, it'll look better, I promise. Anyone want to help us pick out which chairs to keep? The wicker chair is pretty comfortable and fits in with the " South Beach Hippy" look I was told I must be going for, but the high back chair is one that I had personally years ago stripped down and re-caned. I'm kind of partial to keeping a pair of them.

The walls, we picked up 6 sheets of 3/4 inch Styrofoam for $6.00 each and covered most of the walls with laminate flooring except the front of the bus which is wainscoating that my Mom's neighbor was scrapping and burning. Turned out we salvaged enough of that to do the living area and the crapper room walls.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Bus Geek

as for the chairs...I say keep both...more undefined style that way, stripe the dark brown and refinish in a beachy way...plus a new cover walla'
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Picture of bedroom from kitchen to back of bus. Clints bed folds up during the day (if needed) It will be more vertical once mattress is on and brace is put up. My bed is to the left and sits slightly lower as it goes under Clints bed by about 4 or 5 inches
This is the supporting cabinet of Clints bed when its layed out. Bottom right opening is entrance to Binos crapper room, which will be completely closed in (dogs love litter boxes).
Gate painted white. Bottom half will be painted brown as white & dogs don't mix.
This pictures shows bed opened and sitting on cabinet. Plenty of room for dogs to walk under. Bed is 30 inches from floor with mattress on it. My bed on left will sit 20 inches from floor (so I won't have so far to fall). Dogs will be able to get to Clints bed by stepping on my bed and walking up.

Cabinet will have door on front to keep cat out of emptying shelf for place to lay.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Bus Nut

This will be the entertainment center located behind drivers seat. Plans are to have a gate/slash door that will close off contents of cabinet and will hinge to swing over towards front of bus to keep dogs away from step & door when we stop for gas and over pits stops along the way.
Dogs couch (they may share, if we're lucky enough) sits directly across from entertainment center.
Dash painted brown.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Still here...haven't been able to post pictures lately but I do want to let y'all know that we have not been sitting here enjoying the weather. I will get some pix posted asap but below is what we have accomplished so far:

I have managed to paint all the rub rails on the passenger side rust-O-leum brown leather and rust-O-leum white (brown-white-brown-white-brown) starting from the top. As masking/painters tape & I do not get along I did all that without taping it off, time consuming but less frustrating as pulling tape & finding that each color has bled under the tape.

Clint has managed to get the walls up to the crapper room and the closet to the left of it (all located over the rear drivers wheel well. We ordered a fresh water tank thru Plastic-Mark.com on the 24th of last month and are still waiting. Will let y'all know more of our experience with them once we actually get to hold the tank in our hands since we have not gotten it yet.(As you might guess, our experience so far has not been pleasing). We haven't ordered our black water/gray water tank/tanks yet (still deciding if we want to go with one or both) and would love some reviews on where you purchased yours (since we may be looking for a new supplier by then). We still aren't sure of the size till Clint gets under the bus and builds a rack to hold it (ya I know, he has chosen the "build it & the correct size to fit" will magically appear. No comment here on my part since friends of ours might be reading this. LOL!!!

He built a shelf over the bed that bridges all the walls on the passenger side together (we have chosen to not have the few walls we plan to have secure to the ceiling or the walls of the bus, hoping that will help with things staying as they are and not get lose from the bus flexing going down the road. He also has a shelf built above our new freezer (5 cu ft). Yahoo, turkey shopping here I come.

His Daddy passed away on Monday and we have been consumed with dealing with all that needs to be done. As his Momma has been in a nursing home for a few months now we spent today going through the house with his brother to decide who wants what before we start emptying the house out. As we are, ourselves having to liquidate all we own we had to be selective as to what we could & would take on the bus with us. We chose to take the antique pie safe that has been in the family for many, many years. Luckily we haven't secured most of the cabinets in the kitchen so we can replace a 36 x 24 x 12 in cabinet with the pie safe 38 x 66 +/- x 14 in without much ado.

He has spent a good bit of time doing a lot of the little things that needed to get done, building a door under the couch, securing the walls between the bedroom and crapper room and various little things that are time consuming but needed to be done eventually. With the weather as cold as it's been they ended up being done now & not later as planned.

A few weeks ago, he decided to scrub & wash the whole bus (much bigger job than he anticipated). I needed to get the whole drivers side cleaned so I could get started on the painting of the rub rails. That's when the cold weather came in and halted my painting job. Hopefully he won't have to go back over it before I can get started on it again as the bus is parked under a big ass scrub pine that loves to spit on the poor girl.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
Bus Nut

12/27 I made it through Christmas (spent 12 days last year, thru Christmas in the hospital and missed it all) and had a great time watching the dogs unwrap their "Christmas". It was so enjoyable that we completely forgot to take pictures of them shredding the wrapping paper to get to the goodies inside. Of course they all tooks turns trying out each others presents. Evinrude is the only one who got a toy that squeaked, which Prancer immediately went to town trying to rip thru to the noise, which he did until I took it away and gave it back to Rudy who then finished the job and let out that poor critter that was squeaking inside. At least she got to put it out of its misery, fittingly so since its her toy.

Clint bought me some suede well insulated gloves for keeping my fingers warm and my hands from bleeding when we get in the bus and have to walk the dogs. I got him the typical yearly underwear and lounge pants along with a set of flashlights or various small sizes the extend and are magnetized to help him at work when he drops something in an engine and such.

Santa bought me a KEURIG. Damn, that thing is HUGE (might need to add on a room for these useful gadgets. I love what it does but I'm still out on the size. Santa brought Clint a ROTOSAW with three blades designed and suppose to saw through anything and everything. At first I thought he wasn't real keen on it till he mentioned the other day how he can't wait to try it out. The size and weight will come in handy when working in the bus and it actually has a hose that connects to a vacuum to suck up the saw dust. Will let you know how that all works out (another one of those where we can try it till the 31st of January and return it if we don't like.

We bought a 1500w electric heater, the kind that displays a fake fire that you can have on year round if you like. I saw it at ALDI for $69 and we went back the next day and got it. Its identical to the one we now have had in the bus for about 6 weeks now, except for the color and the fact that the new one have a temperature control and the old one doesn't. Luckily, the old one will be going back (which was the plan all along....call it a rental if you'd like) before the 31st of January. Hey....those shopping channels offer it so I am taking advantage of it. The price $138, twice as much as the one from Aldi. I am going to miss the grey enamel color as it just blends in with the colors in the bus, but for the difference in price I'll learn to love the black one as much.

We have a small LIFESMART heater in the bedroom and have put the new one in the living room and have since turned the furnace down to 65 degrees, which has not yet come on. Can't wait to see what the electric bill will be. Hopefully less than running a furnace and heating rooms that we don't even use.

Time to run and I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Below shows how us "poor people" hang up curtains. We started with 1/2 " PVC piping held together with 1' dowels inserted in to create one continuous run from front to back. We put in 1/2" CTS pick up talons so that the piping can slip in from the top. We substituted 1 1/2" screws for the 1 1/4" screws that came with the talons.

The round curtain hooks slide on the PVC and the curtains attach to them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0318.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	6863

1/2 " rod attached to the wall

Name:	100_0319.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	6864

Name:	100_0320.JPG
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	6865

rod attachment

Name:	100_0321.JPG
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	6866

1/2' pick up talon used for curtain rod

Name:	100_0322.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	6867

Curtain hooks

http://
Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Tell us more about what the curtain hooks are--they look like some sort of hose clamp dealie though they look just fine. Thanks Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #16
Bus Nut

They come in packages of 10 or 12 and have 3 total prongs on them, when you squeeze the circle the prongs separate 2 in one direction and 1 in the other. The material goes in between so that when you release, the prongs hold the fabric in place. Some open easy when squeezed and some are just plain buggers to get opened but I'm bigger than they are so I always win.

I originally got these for our boat and because they never got used I kept them thinking they would work on the bus. I bought them at "BIG LOTS" but have seen them at Walmart too for about 50 to 75 cents more. Both stores had them in the curtain rod & fixture section so I think that's what they are used for.

I'm not sure if I'll have enough so I started checking at both stores just in case and I didn't see them. I'll just have to make do till I can find more. I'm willing to be that you could possibly find some at a craft or fabric store. They are perfect on the bus because they slide sooooo easy on the pvc....and until we get screens, they hold on strong enough to hold the curtains when they go blowing out the window when we're going down the road.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Tell us more about what the curtain hooks are--they look like some sort of hose clamp dealie though they look just fine. Thanks Jack
Curtain rings is what they are called, and they are very economical, we have them on a curtain in our kitchen and in a few other rooms also, I think maybe in the basement too
Ours came from Ham's True Value if I remember
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Been working solo on the bus this week. Hubby has been down for the count. I just know that he cringes everytime he hears a power tool coming from the bus. I got the entertainment center finished out partition in and shelf in, battened down & painted. All that's left to do on it is to finish with the recycled wood (from an old antique wardrobe I had) and get the drop down or is it up since it will sit flush on the side till I need to set up the laptop and while down will cover the hole I put in the side of the cabinet. I'm hoping to sand it out enough that I won't have to paint the top & desk top. Pictures to come (always too busy to stop and smile).

My next thing, moving towards the back is the kitchen area. I, somehow slid the ridiculously heavy solid oak island an inch or so at a time every day this week (see picture in #8 till I had it covering the seam in the plywood floor and moved away from the DS wall 18 1/2". It's now 2" shy of being in direct center of the bus. It's about 1/2" from that little metal cover that Hubby said has to be available for whatever its for on the floor. BTW: the whole thing sits right after the first emergency window, not quite centered in the bus for weight distribution but hopefully close enough "for government work"

Now, the ordeal with the island may not sound like much to you, but at just 5'5" and a whopping 85lbs, I was quite pleased with myself (since it took 2 good sized men to lay it on its face to remove the kick plate & stand it back up).

With the island centered in the bus this left enough room for me to put the water tank directly on the floor instead of sitting on the build out over the rear drivers wheel well that Hubby built (remember, he's down for the count so if he don't like what I did he can change it). This will give ME a longer closet & more shelves in that space now.

Actually, that was just a perk I got out of reading the posts here (HOW TO PROPERLY MOUNT AND INSTALL FRESH WATER TANK posted by DREDMAN). Although we will be hauling 28 gallons & not the 70 mentioned I thought about strapping the tank down and didn't get those "warm & fuzzies" where it was originally slated to go. As the tank is 18 1/4" wide & deep and only 16" inches or so high I can now justify buying and have ordered one of those HepVo waterless valves ($30 & change) at Vintage Trailer Supply shipped to the door, which will give me more height in the drawer in the island directly below the sink and allow me to have the drain come out over the tank and back to the rear of the bus where the holding tank (grey/black for now) will be located.

I also got my original rubber mat cut and fitted, yes we are actually going to keep the mats on the steps and about 1 1/2 ft from the step down. We call that our mud room (fancy name, huh?) You'll understand the concept later in the build as we need to put up a high wall from the entertainment center to the couch to keep "the Idiot, Prancer" from following us out the door. I, of course have modified Hubbys design to allow room for him to get out of the drivers seat & out the door without having to step on the dog house, hence the 1 1/2 ft walkway.

What else did I do this week? Oh, I worked on staying cool (wet bandana with 6 ice cubes rolled into it) placed on my head and a small spray bottle to spray on me while standing in front of the window fan.

Good day all!!!!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Surviving the heat is a major accomplishment!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #20
Bus Nut

plumbing problems

Duh I feel like the most stupidest person in the world. I got my hepVo valve the other day & decided to try my hand at putting the plumbing to the kitchen sink. I pulled out the various plumbing parts that Hubby has already bought, divided into two piles. One for waste and one for water intake. Cool, opened up my HepVo package & added that to the waste pile and put the other pile in a bag & put back away.

Now, I got this pile of parts so I grab the most obvious the sink drain that connects to the sink and look around at my pile, look at the diagram from the hepVo package, look back at my pile & grab the 6 inch or so metal pipe that I know goes next from the sink assembly. I unscrew the fixtures to the assembly and of course, all the washers & such go flying all over the table (which means, I'm gonna have a lot of leaks cause some of these washers are different from one side to the next and as they all flew out, I don't know how to put them back in, which goes first, which is up or which side is down.)

First attempt attaching the 6 inch chrome pipe to the basket. Nope, not happening. Can get it together if I leave out the plastic gasket (which I know I can't do). Ok, attempt #2. Grab whatever you can connect together and connect it. Hey, not to bad. I got the hepVo valve, connected to the elbow it came with, connected to the sink. Well, that kind of looks like the picture, sort of. I still got some round black adapter thingy that Hubby bought, the chrome straight pipe and the last of the plastic connectors from the hepVo package. None of them fit anything else I already got together.

Well, I know I'm not done cause I'm still not out of the cabinet and what I ended up with has threads and I don't think I need a threaded piece to hook up my hose. I look back around on the table & still have nothing left that'll fit.

So, I grab my coffee, cigs, cell phone and off I go into the house to search on the web and see if I can find some help there. I searched Google, Google Skoolies, Skoolies , Dogpile, various sites & forums I have marked as favorites, even started searching Rv store sites and the best I came up with is below:

Now, I know (and so do all of you now know) that I'm ridiculously dumb when it comes to this plumbing crap, but this is not helping me identify and put together anything that I have on the table in the bus.

So, I grab up my coffee, my cigs, my cell phone and walk back into the bus, take another good look at the pile on the table, go sit down, take a sip of coffee, light up a cig, get up and once again look at the pile. I now got this fancy diagram above, the diagram off the hepVo valve and a pile of things in all states of assembly, actually more than I started with since everytime I took apart something, I'd end up with a bunch more of washers & compression fittings.

So, after a minute or two, I disassemble what I had managed to put together and threw it all in a plastic bag, grabbed my coffee, my cigs & my cell phone and with tears in my eyes, slowly finding their way down my cheeks went back into the house.

Now at this point Hubby (whose been down for the count and I know better than to even ask him his name when he's ill) wants to know what's in the bag. I tell him what I've been doing & the story above and said "I'm taking it all over to HD in the morning and see if they can help me put this mess together" and I proceeded to head to the bedroom where the computer is to find some stupid easy game to play and take my mind off how ignorant I am.

Next I hear coming from the other room is Hubby going through the bag and trying his hand at what I wanted to do. I watch as he puts this here & that there and actually has added on one more piece than I had. Now he's still got the 6 in chrome pipe and the black adapter piece not attached.

End of story (and I hope you all got a fairly decent chuckle out of this...and don't we all need one now & then) Hubby says "things just ain't adding up here, so let's put it all in the bag and we'll go to HD tomorrow. I'll figure out what we don't need and return it and buy what we do need without any of them Yahoos from HD clogging up the works".

:surre nder:

So long story short, I should have put together the water side of the sink.