Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #381
Bus Geek

The bunks turned out great!!!

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #382
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I'm curious as to the weight limit on your bunks?

They look fabulous.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 AM   #383
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I designed them with a dynamic load of approximately 300 lbs per bunk.

That means a 300 lb person sitting on the edge of each bunk simultaneously then bouncing up and down.

I have no guarantees that if they bounced at exactly the same time that the bus wall wouldn't cave in a little bit. ;)

They are very strong, and I can climb them easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
I'm curious as to the weight limit on your bunks?

They look fabulous.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #384
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Beds are awesome!!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #385
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I am thinking about having convertible front area. I want to have 4 seats behind driver in kids area. When we park I want to use the same seats as dining seats.

The whole point is we need safe strong seats while driving (with belts) and we need seats in dining area. Why not to use the same seats and save a lot of valuable space?

I know it is more complicated than just bolt seats down but we are not looking for easy ways....

I used to have AstroVan and it had a quick attach system on the floor to hold rear seats. The only problem I remember the seats were super heavy....

There are many vans and suvs that use removable seats. I am a bit far away from this point but will find something.....

I might add some wheels to help to move seats around.....
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #386
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Why not make seats adjustable forward and back and mount them on pivoting
pedestals so you turn the fronts around facing the rear seats and slide them fully
away from each other so a table can mount between or drop down from the wall?
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #387
Bus Nut

Some more progress. Overhead bin structure assembled. I'll just start moving back from here.

The general idea is that I make vertical slices that are screwed into the floor, chair rail, and wall rails. Then horizontal sections that bolt to verticals. Most horizontal segments get one bolt directly into a bus rib as well.

We also picked a fridge, got it on sale quite a bit cheaper than. Listed price:

ESCR175N | EcoSolarCool | Solar Refrigerators & Solar Freezers
Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #388

Incredible, super inspiring! Just spent a bit of time studying this thread. You are amazing, setting a standard I can only dream of attaining. Thanks for sharing your talents.
wrhby85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #389
Bus Nut

I think I found a toilet I like. Since I'm setting up a urine diverting dry toilet, AND I have a basement, might as well make a nice throne and put the poop box down below.

UDDT Ceramic bowl
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #390
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Cool

Keep us posted. I think I would like a few of those as well.

Was that porcelain, or plastic?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #391
Bus Nut

Porcelain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Cool

Keep us posted. I think I would like a few of those as well.

Was that porcelain, or plastic?

Nat
Old 04-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #392
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
"Malicious java script detected" from the above link.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 AM   #393
Bus Nut

Everything looks malicious if it's on the chinese internet. Here's a photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
"Malicious java script detected" from the above link.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #394
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
So, it looks like the main opening is just that: An opening through the floor to what you're going to use as a composting-type toilet, with the diverter perhaps going to some kind of holding tank.

My concern would be "cleaning up" the main opening after a night of Mexican food. With a typical composting toilet, you have a seat with a (lined) bucket under it. When the bucket is emptied, everything goes out with the trash. With this liquid-separating toilet, there is a few inches of porcelain between you and the bucket, and that porcelain doesn't get automatically cleaned when you empty the bucket. Are you going to wipe the porcelain after every use? And if so, aren't you going to have to get down on your knees to reach way down into the gaping maw?
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #395
Skoolie

It looks like toilet dilemma is one every rver has to think about.

I want to have first as less waste as possible and second I don't want to loose the level of comfort we are all used to.

To be honest I have never even used rv toilet in my life..... I did use "dry" toilet a bit as I lived in Russian village for few years... It is ok but don't want to go down that road again...

I want to rephrase what I said before: first I want level of comfort and second I want to make as less waste as possible.

Some people say they use grey water to flush the toilet.

Use grey water to flush RV toilets | Brad Ideas

You are going to have grey water anyways. You can even have not one but 2 or 3 smaller grey tanks and cascade them, so last one will have the "cleanest" water to use for toilet. You can even have separate tank from shower which will used for toilet flushing. So you will reuse grey water and total waste will be the same, but your comfort level won't be compromised.

Also I want to have a pump to pump grey water to black water tanks for flushing it before dumping and another sewage pump to pump out black tank via 1" hose. This will give me flexibility when it comes to staying for long period of time without hook up.

Here is a scenario:

We stay somewhere without water connection. I will have a small fordable trailer (can be just a pick up bed etc.) and 2 50 gal drums or a special welded tanks. One for fresh water one for black. Before I go shopping I will pump out black tank. It is much easier and cleaner to flip the switch than hook up 3" stinky snake under the bus. It is going to very easy to dump previously agitated black/grey water mix.

This are just some ideas.

Last thing is I want to have my wife pissed off and blaming me making her life miserable and saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH we are going home.....

Old 04-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #396
Bus Nut

So, there's more to my plan than a porcelain throne.
Located underneath this throne is a straight section of sewer pipe that gently persuades material down into a box in the basement section of the bus.

This is where it becomes harebrained redneck engineering project:

I am, for the most part, going to copy a number of the design features of the nature's head composting toilet.

I had thought about dry auger transport designs, macerator pump black tanks, just straight up buying a nature's head toilet, but I have somehow determined I'd like to play with poop a little bit.

What does this mean exactly?

Well, in my humble opinion, the NH toilet is actually a dehydrating toilet, as it doesn't have enough storage or space to perform any real composting. The interior of the tub on the NH is made of plastic, with a stainless steel stirring paddle rod assembly. There is an easy to acquire container that is constructed of similar material and shape as the NH storage tank. Read on.

I plan on borrowing some ideas from the NH unit with the following items, to assemble the "Super Poop-cooler-tron 9000":

Order of operation, in a perfect world:

Pop open lid on the throne
Sit down and do your business, #1 or #2 or both
Wipe with toilet paper
Sprinkle some magic pixie poop dust on your business. (wood shavings, ash, moss, something)
Close lid
Press the "flush" button

What actually is happening:

There is a 200 quart converted beverage cooler in the basement. It is attached via 8" diameter drain/sewer pipe length from the bottom of the throne to a hole and flange installed on the lid of the cooler.

There is an approximately 10-30 gallon (haven't got a tank yet) urine collection tank for the diverter on the throne.

The cooler has wheels and a handle for ease of transport when full. Inside the vehicle storage basement, there is a lever attached to a cam (ok, a properly bent piece of metal with hinges) that lifts the cooler up to mate the drain pipe with the flange. When the lever is all the way up, the cooler is lifted up and in the "installed" position.

To disconnect the cooler, drop the lever, which drops the cooler about 3 inches, disconnecting from the downpipe, allowing it to be removed from the vehicle.

Installed in the long dimension of the cooler is a stir paddle similar to the NH unit. Instead of a manual turn, a 12 volt worm drive wheelchair motor is attached to the paddle stick.

When pressing the "flush" button, a timed relay runs the stirring motor for a length of time, probably 20-30 seconds. On some regular interval, the stirring motor also runs unattended to keep the poop fluffed.

There is an inlet and exhaust for continuous air delivery into the cooler. The inlet is smaller than the outlet, to encourage a negative air draft from the throne up above, hopefully to reduce remaining stink. This is also a common design feature in dehydrating toilets such as the NH.

I may add a small ceramic heater on a thermostat to the inlet, when it's extra cold or damp outside to aid doo doo dry cycle.

It's basically a supersized NH unit with the tank decoupled by a length of pipe.

Now, for the mexican food scenario:

Everyone has the runs, and it's awful. The cooler is 3/4 full, and now has a layer of watery horrible **** on top. Oh yeah, it's also streaked down the sides of the bowl in the toilet, and along the poop chute down to the cooler.

What's a civilized person to do?

First choice, set the whole thing ablaze and never look back. Not the best choice.

Second choice is to use a conveniently located sprayer on a small hose to rinse the inside of the bowl with as little water as possible, and wipe clean. Maybe dump some extra drying fluff (the sawdust,moss,whatever) and pray it dries out.

Run the stir cycles a lot more, kick on that heater, and it'll probably dry out eventually.

And mark that restaurant off the list.

I think I drank too much coffee this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
So, it looks like the main opening is just that: An opening through the floor to what you're going to use as a composting-type toilet, with the diverter perhaps going to some kind of holding tank.

My concern would be "cleaning up" the main opening after a night of Mexican food. With a typical composting toilet, you have a seat with a (lined) bucket under it. When the bucket is emptied, everything goes out with the trash. With this liquid-separating toilet, there is a few inches of porcelain between you and the bucket, and that porcelain doesn't get automatically cleaned when you empty the bucket. Are you going to wipe the porcelain after every use? And if so, aren't you going to have to get down on your knees to reach way down into the gaping maw?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #397
Skoolie

It looks like you will have a lote of fun playing with poop.

Hey why not to use doggy bag instead of all the engineering.....

In my case I only can imagine my wife's eyes..... I think this would be my last picture......

It looks like you are too tired of civilisation.........

Btw I remember we used to have a container for diapers with plastic bag inserted inside. After every time you throw diper inside you turn the top part, wich wil twist the bag and seal it.... It stuck anyways.....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #398
Bus Nut

Vlad,

Could a tank float pickup setup work? Basically, flexible line attached to a pickup float, with maybe a coarse screen on the end of the pipe. You could even wire an additional level sensor to the "gray water washdown" pump that disables the pump once gray water level gets too low so you don't start sucking sediment.

Graywater pump idea:
Whale Gulper 220 Shower Waste / Gray Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Some people say they use grey water to flush the toilet.

Use grey water to flush RV toilets | Brad Ideas

You are going to have grey water anyways. You can even have not one but 2 or 3 smaller grey tanks and cascade them, so last one will have the "cleanest" water to use for toilet. You can even have separate tank from shower which will used for toilet flushing. So you will reuse grey water and total waste will be the same, but your comfort level won't be compromised.

This are just some ideas.

Last thing is I want to have my wife pissed off and blaming me making her life miserable and saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH we are going home.....

Old 04-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #399
Bus Nut

You are my kindered bus building amateur sanitation engineer friend of the north, married to a woman of similar tastes.

If we were standing next to each other and used doggy bags, we'd both be buried 6 feet underground - with the bags of poop.

My wife isn't really interested in pooping into bucket bags I think. Not to mention, we have a small herd of kids and you know who's gonna be emptying that poop bucket out all the time?

Yep, that's right me.

Yeah those diaper geinies suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
It looks like you will have a lote of fun playing with poop.

Hey why not to use doggy bag instead of all the engineering.....

In my case I only can imagine my wife's eyes..... I think this would be my last picture......

It looks like you are too tired of civilisation.........

Btw I remember we used to have a container for diapers with plastic bag inserted inside. After every time you throw diper inside you turn the top part, wich wil twist the bag and seal it.... It stuck anyways.....
Old 04-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #400
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Vlad,

Could a tank float pickup setup work? Basically, flexible line attached to a pickup float, with maybe a coarse screen on the end of the pipe. You could even wire an additional level sensor to the "gray water washdown" pump that disables the pump once gray water level gets too low so you don't start sucking sediment.

Graywater pump idea:
Whale Gulper 220 Shower Waste / Gray Water Pump
Absolutely, great idea. Also you can get rid of some foam (soap etc.) floating on top. Also you can add "legs" on the bottom that will stop float from "landing"

I noticed there are many small 30-40 gallon plastic grey water tanks on eBay. You can configure them somewhere in the middle between frame rails and save storage space. You can connect them the way you like.

If you are really determined to go dry (waterless) way here is an idea for you:

You can have a short section (I would say 12"-15") of 6"-8" diameter pipe attached on the bottom perpendicular. You add a piston with rubber seal and this piston will push poop into storage tank.

Here is how it will work:

When toilet is not in use piston is pushed in and blocks poop and smell. When you open throne lid piston goes in out position and stays there until you close the lid or push some button. I would also activate a small fan blowing air from storage tank out. This will create draft from washroom (restroom) toward tank and smell won't go your way.

In case of Mexican food disaster you can easily wash all exposed areas using regular toilet brush (you can simply wash it all like regular toilet). When piston is pushed in it will scrub everything and push into the storage tank.

In this case you can keep #1 and #2 together, also you don't need sawdust etc.

You will still have a hard time empting your storage tank because of consistency. And as you mentioned above you will be the man in charge.....