So I came to realize today that Iím actually working on the living area interior right now, even if itís currently outside the bus. This marks a significant shift in work on ďthe busĒ because up until recently itís just been either reassembly (since the roof raise) or a lot of ground work that will get covered up (insulation).
Having a fresh perspective on this has made it easier to slog through all the tiny details to make transforming bunk interiors with desks and other neat latching, pivoting, rotating gizmos possible.
Anyway, on to some stuff I did recently.
I got all the pivot pins installed. Interestingly enough, if the bunk units are clamped to each other back to back, you can fully extend the frames on one side and it wonít tip over, which makes it really easy to work on.
Next, You can see some detail of the pivot pins. Theyíre pretty stout. I donít know if I said this yet or not, but if that setup is good enough for Kubota, itís good enough for me.
Next, a latching system made out of various flat bar components. Itís dead simple, and should last a while before it needs rebuilding or work. All the pieces of tape on the parts are reminders for me
if I run out of materials, since I have to build 8 of these latches.
Hereís a shot of the ďprototypeĒ latch tacked into place. Obviously the return spring will get attached a little more firmly.
And finally, a shot of the latch tongue in the ďunlatchedĒ position. As you can see, itís a fairly significant piece of metal. I do NOT want these bunks to release unless itís intentional. On top of that, they will carry loads in the closed position, in the form of a fold out desk. So Iím expecting these parts to carry the full weight of a work desk on the bottom bunk, and a full set of work chairs on the top bunk.
Add the weight of kids and beds, plus desks, chairs, other bits, and in scientific parlance ďdynamicĒ loads, uh, kids rough housing as well as simply remembering itís a vehicle that drives down the road, and suddenly thereís a reason for building the parts like a backhoe attachment.
Iím looking forward to constructing the remaining seven hinges and getting the spring system working. I think a centralized lever with some cable actuators will work really slick Ė twist to retract, and it should click into closed position.
The open position is easier to maintain Ė the center of gravity is far to the wall, and simply needs a single sided spring detent to keep from closing unintentionally.