Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #271
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I have spent all of my spare time on a parts drafting project so there hasn’t been any progress on the bunks for the last, oh, week. Sigh.

I at least managed to weld together the support frames. They’re constructed in such a way to allow them to be transported through the front door.

Next steps are to locate the appropriate hinge pins, and build the brackets to fasten the support frames to both the bus chair rail and wall ribs.

Below are some photos illustrating the size. Its basically 12 linear feet of bedding. When closed, this “wall” will intrude about 12 inches into the cabin. It will end up a little deeper than that, since I plan on building stowable flat chairs and desks that mount on the underside of the bunk frames. (there’s a reason they’re built as if you could park a car on them)

I’m pretty excited about this arrangement because it gives all of us a workspace we can use, which I feel is important.

This is just one unit.

This is both units next to each other, as they will be in the bus.

By the way, I’m pretty happy at how all the framing is coming together – I’m trying hard to keep things measurably accurate. I clamped the two frames together and they seem to be the same, within probably 1/32″

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:26 AM   #272
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Nice! I love to see folks fabricating!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #273
Skoolie

Loving your build so far, didn't have a chance to read it in depth just yet, but I definitely will. From what I skimmed it seems you have incredible attention to detail which I really admire. I'll probably borrow some of your design ideas, and if I can pull them off even to 75% of the quality you did I'll be more than pleased.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #274
Site Team

Buncha bunk

So I came to realize today that Iím actually working on the living area interior right now, even if itís currently outside the bus. This marks a significant shift in work on ďthe busĒ because up until recently itís just been either reassembly (since the roof raise) or a lot of ground work that will get covered up (insulation).

Having a fresh perspective on this has made it easier to slog through all the tiny details to make transforming bunk interiors with desks and other neat latching, pivoting, rotating gizmos possible.

Anyway, on to some stuff I did recently.

I got all the pivot pins installed. Interestingly enough, if the bunk units are clamped to each other back to back, you can fully extend the frames on one side and it wonít tip over, which makes it really easy to work on.

Next, You can see some detail of the pivot pins. Theyíre pretty stout. I donít know if I said this yet or not, but if that setup is good enough for Kubota, itís good enough for me.

Next, a latching system made out of various flat bar components. Itís dead simple, and should last a while before it needs rebuilding or work. All the pieces of tape on the parts are reminders for me

if I run out of materials, since I have to build 8 of these latches.

Hereís a shot of the ďprototypeĒ latch tacked into place. Obviously the return spring will get attached a little more firmly.

And finally, a shot of the latch tongue in the ďunlatchedĒ position. As you can see, itís a fairly significant piece of metal. I do NOT want these bunks to release unless itís intentional. On top of that, they will carry loads in the closed position, in the form of a fold out desk. So Iím expecting these parts to carry the full weight of a work desk on the bottom bunk, and a full set of work chairs on the top bunk.

Add the weight of kids and beds, plus desks, chairs, other bits, and in scientific parlance ďdynamicĒ loads, uh, kids rough housing as well as simply remembering itís a vehicle that drives down the road, and suddenly thereís a reason for building the parts like a backhoe attachment.

Iím looking forward to constructing the remaining seven hinges and getting the spring system working. I think a centralized lever with some cable actuators will work really slick Ė twist to retract, and it should click into closed position.

The open position is easier to maintain Ė the center of gravity is far to the wall, and simply needs a single sided spring detent to keep from closing unintentionally.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #275
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Talking

....but if that setup is good enough for Kubota, itís good enough for me ??

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #276

Coachwork: *
Chassis: *
Engine: *
The folding bunks is just awsome.
rkentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #277
Skoolie

Not sure if you're building bunk beds or a bunker. Someday your bus will be rusted away into a memory and all that will be left are those bunkbeds haha. Good work though, can't underestimate the force of bouncing kids or the scorn of the wife who has to patch one up because of shotty workmanship.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #278
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by headinthetrees View Post
Not sure if you're building bunk beds or a bunker. Someday your bus will be rusted away into a memory and all that will be left are those bunkbeds haha. Good work though, can't underestimate the force of bouncing kids or the scorn of the wife who has to patch one up because of shotty workmanship.
I think this bunk bed frames will be a great roll cage.....

I am the same.... I would never build an airplane.... unless it would be a monument....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 AM   #279
Site Team

If it doesn't work as a bunk bed setup, I can use it as a hoist. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I think this bunk bed frames will be a great roll cage.....

I am the same.... I would never build an airplane.... unless it would be a monument....
Old 12-31-2014, 02:48 AM   #280
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
If it doesn't work as a bunk bed setup, I can use it as a hoist. ;)
Do you mean bus hoist? ;)

Happy new year.....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote