Old 08-24-2015, 01:33 AM   #511
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
No problem, I will try and get under there tomorrow.

It is actually good timing because I have to move the bus tomorrow anyway, so I can park on clean pavement to crawl around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
A bit off topic....

I am working on my front end right now.... I took all spring leafs apart, all air lines, air tanks... etc...

Everything looks like tornado vent through my bus....

I want to add air bags to my front suspension to be able to get more clearance when I need it.....

Since we have almost the same I want to make a little favor for me... Can you please measure how much clearance you have between bottom of the frame and U-bolts cap holding the front (steel pyramid or trapezoid looking piece ). Can you take a picture with the ruler if possible...

Do you remember your front weight by any chance? I never had a chance to put my bus on scale.... I am guessing if 2500-2800lb air bags will be big enough to raise the front 3-4 inches

Any info will be appreciated...
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 AM   #512
Site Team

Interesting thing:

The data card riveted to the bus says 5.39:1 for the rear axle ratio, but physically turning the drive line over (rear axle on stands, brakes released) gives me about 4 revolutions on driveline to one revolution on axle.

Im still not sure if its got a locker but that would be pretty nice.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #513
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Usually, the wheel turn trick will tell the tale. Maybe it has been re-geared. Sounds like you might have a 4.11 there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #514
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Does the 3rd member have any tags on it?
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #515
Site Team

Sorry, I haven't climbed under the bus yet to take measurements or check for tags.

We are closing on our home sale and busy packing and reducing our footprint right now. At least we have a place to land and I can reconcentrate on the bus.

Over the last year I found various leaks and stuff on the roof and patched them with sikoflex. It was looking a little patchy so I added a new layer of Henrys 287 to the roof, it looks great.

Price per gallon it does make a difference and its thick enough that it seals a lot of little gaps and cracks too.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #516
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Oh, man. Moving, especially combined with reducing, is a huge chore. I feel for ya. Good luck.

Since I guessed you were probably kinda busy, I took a few pictures from my bus this morning. It's a Blue Bird CSRE, so not "exactly" the same as yours and Vlad's, but the model year is close, GVW is the same, power train is nearly the same, so I figured maybe the front end will be the same or at least similar.

My tags say GVW 36,200 and front axle 13,200 pounds. When I weighed it after removing seats but before removing any floor or body metal, and probably with a full fuel tank and me in the driver seat, the front axle weighed 8,300 and the rear 15,200.

The shackle at the trailing end doesn't have a lot of height left to give, but I guess the air bags could be sized to deflect the spring down even farther than where the shackle bottoms out.
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #517
Site Team

Yeah, from memory those photos look nearly exactly the same as mine. Grease your shackle points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Oh, man. Moving, especially combined with reducing, is a huge chore. I feel for ya. Good luck.

Since I guessed you were probably kinda busy, I took a few pictures from my bus this morning. It's a Blue Bird CSRE, so not "exactly" the same as yours and Vlad's, but the model year is close, GVW is the same, power train is nearly the same, so I figured maybe the front end will be the same or at least similar.

My tags say GVW 36,200 and front axle 13,200 pounds. When I weighed it after removing seats but before removing any floor or body metal, and probably with a full fuel tank and me in the driver seat, the front axle weighed 8,300 and the rear 15,200.

The shackle at the trailing end doesn't have a lot of height left to give, but I guess the air bags could be sized to deflect the spring down even farther than where the shackle bottoms out.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #518
Site Team

Another thing to add to the list

Make sure that most of the items on your switch panel operate off keyed power, or at least have indicator lights.

Failing that, a battery disconnect is helpful.

We've been living on the bus while we bridge a gap to the next place we'll be staying at so I can continue work - and our smallest kid must take after me. He is constantly finding all the switches and poking at them.

I wonder how many near total discharges the current batteries will take? I wanted to upgrade to a pair of 8D batteries anyway.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #519
Site Team

New tires getting installed. I'll pick up the bus tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to driving it quite a bit more.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #520

Good luck on this project, it looks like your off to a great start, we want to have a greenhouse in ours, compost our waste, and collect rainwater
Earthbus is offline   Reply With Quote