Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #641
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'll sign up as "it seems like a good idea and I'm interested, but can't spend the time working out the ROI/feasibility right now."

Mine presently has two 8D batteries for starting and two previously used J305 (I think) deep cycle for house battery. All are worn out. I haven't started the bus in almost a year and I'm not confident those 8D are going to be able to muster it, even in the summer. Maybe hot off the charger they'll stand a chance..

Anyway, I've been thinking real hard about building a battery with lithium prismatic cells to be used for both starting and house loads. Yes, yes, I know. I want to do it anyway. I'll have a 7 kVA generator onboard too (and already bought it, so it's not on the dream list still) so if we do find ourselves in a pickle where the battery can't start the bus engine it'll merely be a delay of a few hours waiting for the generator to make things right.

Between lithium tolerating deeper discharge than lead, but lead being cheaper than lithium, I'm hoping the analysis will find that lithium costs only 20%-30% more than lead for a given usable capacity. I'll be interested to see which direction you go with yours.
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #642
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
temperature seems like the big disadvantage.. I owned a Chevy volt for 2 years.. and more than once the car got so hot that it activated its own Air-conditioner coolant circuit to cool down the batteries.. if charging it also greatly slowed my charging process.. if you are charging via solar efficiently you are likely also in an area that may be warm.. so thermal management is a biggie.. my car also wouldnt run on its batteries if they were below -15f, the car physically wouldnt work until its gas engine warmed up the pack enough to drive....

-Christopher
Yow! Between my family and my daughter's family, we've had 3 Priuses (Prii?) and never have I ever had hassles like that. It could be that living in the MidAtlantic has insulated me from that.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:00 AM   #643
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Water tanks

I got 4x 46 gallon water tanks. The dimensions are not exactly what I hoped for, but I think I can squeeze them in. I originally wanted to hang them centerline on the frame cross members but I can't wedge them in there with the luggage bay. I'd have to cut a big hole somewhere.

So, I'll make lemonade from the lemons and build a set of support brackets for the ends of the tanks, and some heavy channel between them. I'll be able to insulate the tanks with 2" of foam. I'll probably get some tank heater panels too.

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #644
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Holy Moly! That's a lot of water! 1564 pounds to be exact. Are you planning on some kind of agricultural career for your bus?
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #645
Site Team

3 girls, my wife, and then my son and I. Lots of water consumers. If it turns out we never need all that water then I can subtract some tanks.

Remember two of the four tanks are waste water, so technically it should never have all four tanks full, but it could (failing to drain waste tanks then take on fresh) so the hangers need to be robust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Holy Moly! That's a lot of water! 1564 pounds to be exact. Are you planning on some kind of agricultural career for your bus?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #646
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That'll help pull the center of gravity back down after it was raised with the roof! Wow, that's (relatively) a lot of tension on the diagonals and compression on the segment at bottom between the tanks. At least to me it seems like it should be a lot. I can't quite read what channel you picked for it.. is that C with 2" flange, 3" web, and ?? thickness?

I was having tank envy at first (I have just two 42 gallon fresh) but since you clarified half of yours are for waste I feel better.
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #647
Site Team

As for tension, yeah it's a little high. That's a good callout.

Maybe something like two hook assemblies that engage over the horizontal webbing on the vehicle frame on the top and bottom.Then those bolt onto the vertical support.

The hooks could be the 2x3 channel, back to back, with a spacer welded in the middle to account for the flange thickness of the frame.

That way the diagonal stringer pulls at a more rational angle and keeps the tension down.

So similar to a chassis frame bracket, but with a tie in the middle to lend more strength.

I am very averse to drilling holes in the frame in the middle of the bus.

The diagonal support can then run from the very top of the frame rail
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
That'll help pull the center of gravity back down after it was raised with the roof! Wow, that's (relatively) a lot of tension on the diagonals and compression on the segment at bottom between the tanks. At least to me it seems like it should be a lot. I can't quite read what channel you picked for it.. is that C with 2" flange, 3" web, and ?? thickness?

I was having tank envy at first (I have just two 42 gallon fresh) but since you clarified half of yours are for waste I feel better.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #648
Site Team

Should I be less fearful of drilling a few holes in the vertical web of the vehicle frame? 4 holes evenly spaced for perhaps a 1/2" bolt would be adequate to support the weight (x4 for each end and side) and make this whole thing a lot easier.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #649
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
I say crack a few eggs, Aaron.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #650
Site Team