Old 09-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #831
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
I hear you on the prep. No shortcuts there for sure! I painted a trailer for my music equipment over 25 years ago with three part Urethane. Still there with minimal maintenance. It was a foam composite project (lots of longboard sanding). Came out beautiful. On my skoolie, with all the rivets, rub rails, storage bay doors I've added and corrugation, I'm thinking it won't come out so monolithic. Especially when using contrasting colors to break up the scheme. Also, we didn't do a roof raise so the profile is smaller. Thanks for the info on the sprayer. I'll look into it. My Air compressor is old too. Here in SC humidity can be high and end up in the lines. Yea, that can totally mess up ones day and prep!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #832
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I think all the rivets, doors, and rub rails make a urethane single stage look really awesome. I used a cheap media blaster ($35) with walnuts to remove old and flaking paint from rivet dimples and hard to get locations.

Washington state also can get really humid in the winter months, I've had to take stuff down to metal then pickle with a phosphoric acid to eliminate flash oxidization.

Its a bummer when you spray for 5 minutes and fisheyes because of water in the lines. It makes me wonder if waterborne auto paints are more immune to that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I hear you on the prep. No shortcuts there for sure! I painted a trailer for my music equipment over 25 years ago with three part Urethane. Still there with minimal maintenance. It was a foam composite project (lots of longboard sanding). Came out beautiful. On my skoolie, with all the rivets, rub rails, storage bay doors I've added and corrugation, I'm thinking it won't come out so monolithic. Especially when using contrasting colors to break up the scheme. Also, we didn't do a roof raise so the profile is smaller. Thanks for the info on the sprayer. I'll look into it. My Air compressor is old too. Here in SC humidity can be high and end up in the lines. Yea, that can totally mess up ones day and prep!!
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #833
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is water in the lines from not having an air dryer for your shop air? a buddy of mine that paints cars for himself and friends always swears by using the air from his big rig for painting rather than his shop compressor... makes me wonder if its because of the dryer on big rigs.. that usually only larger or true body shops have on their shop air..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #834
Site Team

Yeah I think a dryer dessicant system on a truck would make pretty clean air. I'd still want to process it for oil mist though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is water in the lines from not having an air dryer for your shop air? a buddy of mine that paints cars for himself and friends always swears by using the air from his big rig for painting rather than his shop compressor... makes me wonder if its because of the dryer on big rigs.. that usually only larger or true body shops have on their shop air..

-Christopher
Old 09-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #835
Site Team

Bolting bits back on, progress picture.

Bus bumpers heavy urgh.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #836
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Looking good will be interested in what additions you choose to do next.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #837
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Washington state also can get really humid in the winter months, I've had to take stuff down to metal then pickle with a phosphoric acid to eliminate flash oxidization.
I've lived in both Shelton and Bellingham. Built the afore mentioned trailer in B'ham. Sure do miss it there. Humidity yes but LOTS cooler than SC. Heat index's this year were in excess of 125 at times. If I do get to paint here it'll most likely have to be select days in the winter. I too treat with phosphoric acid on almost anything de-rusted during the summer. Saved my bacon many times. Fish eye? Oh yea, that which happens when you sweat in your paint job .
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #838
Site Team

Some progress photos. Couch lids and storage, closet with telescoping rods (spreads the clothes out when you open it, and compresses more than you could pack in there without the telescoping)
Reflectors added back to the outside, made the bluebird placard nice and reinstalled it. I'm hacking away at a bunch of other stuff right now too. Engine fluids changed, fixed some leaks...

The school district I got it from has all the history and records, so I think next week we are going to drive out to the district maintainance shop and show and tell (they are excited)

Old 09-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #839
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Is it looking like it will be ready for skoolie-palooza in Quartzite in
early January? I'm sure lots of members would be totally thrilled
to see your workmanship in person and the family would enjoy
getting away from the two types of weather they offer in the Seattle
area (rain and chance of rain). Sunshine in January is always a
bonus, helps cut down on moss growth on the extremities.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #840
Site Team

That's definitely a target we are aiming for. To be honest if it was just me I'd be able to make it the way things are now, but kids, comfort, convenience are all drivers to get electrical and plumbing functional next.

I just cleaned up and checked out the original cab heaters (the big ones) for service again. One is going in the bay below, and the other will be in the cabin. I want to make driving in January as cozy as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop View Post
Is it looking like it will be ready for skoolie-palooza in Quartzite in
early January? I'm sure lots of members would be totally thrilled
to see your workmanship in person and the family would enjoy
getting away from the two types of weather they offer in the Seattle
area (rain and chance of rain). Sunshine in January is always a
bonus, helps cut down on moss growth on the extremities.