Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #901
Bus Crazy

WOW! That is some battery bank!

How much does it all weigh?

Where is your battery pack going to be located?

I didn't realize those batteries were so relatively small.

Do you anticipate any problems with vibrations from running down the road or from the engine?

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #902
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
The cell packs weigh about 400 lbs. The support frame probably weighs about 90. After copper bus bars and wiring it'll be close to 600 lbs I think.

The battery is nominal 48vdc and a capacity of 24.5 kWh. In some of my figuring, this is equal to somewhere between 21 and 45 Trojan t-105 batteries when taking into account total discharge ampacity, cycle depth, and other things.

It has little support ears that bolt via short threaded rod segments into the Z bend deck flanges. These are the same pieces on the drivers side that the propane tank hangs off from underneath.

The Z flanges are doubled up and extremely stout. (Thanks bluebird)

Then the whole frame is tucked inside the tire chain/tool locker box that is behind the passenger front wheel.

That box is isolated from the through bay storage area, with its own ventilation and fire suppression (HFC-236fa, blazecut-t)

The battery will be set up with an actively monitored computer BMS with temp sensors, a heater, and cooling system.

The battery guts came out of a Nissan leaf so they will be fine with vibration. I think they have inherited a cushy life after their first life in the leaf car was cut short via an accident. (This is an auto salvage pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
WOW! That is some battery bank!

How much does it all weigh?

Where is your battery pack going to be located?

I didn't realize those batteries were so relatively small.

Do you anticipate any problems with vibrations from running down the road or from the engine?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:56 AM   #903
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
The cell packs weigh about 400 lbs. The support frame probably weighs about 90. After copper bus bars and wiring it'll be close to 600 lbs I think.

The battery is nominal 48vdc and a capacity of 24.5 kWh. In some of my figuring, this is equal to somewhere between 21 and 45 Trojan t-105 batteries when taking into account total discharge ampacity, cycle depth, and other things.

It has little support ears that bolt via short threaded rod segments into the Z bend deck flanges. These are the same pieces on the drivers side that the propane tank hangs off from underneath.

The Z flanges are doubled up and extremely stout. (Thanks bluebird)

Then the whole frame is tucked inside the tire chain/tool locker box that is behind the passenger front wheel.

That box is isolated from the through bay storage area, with its own ventilation and fire suppression (HFC-236fa, blazecut-t)

The battery will be set up with an actively monitored computer BMS with temp sensors, a heater, and cooling system.

The battery guts came out of a Nissan leaf so they will be fine with vibration. I think they have inherited a cushy life after their first life in the leaf car was cut short via an accident. (This is an auto salvage pack)
Talk about going green and repurposing something that was junk to someone else!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #904
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Hey btw, I had been seeing converted busses and thinking not for me I'm too tall.

Then I stumbled on pictures of your roof raise on Pinterest, I did more reading, now I have a bus.
I'm planning on a raise like the fast back sketch you put up. I thought it might nominally help drag(and looks cool). Is there a reason people don't do that more?
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #905
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Hey btw, I had been seeing converted busses and thinking not for me I'm too tall.

Then I stumbled on pictures of your roof raise on Pinterest, I did more reading, now I have a bus.
I'm planning on a raise like the fast back sketch you put up. I thought it might nominally help drag(and looks cool). Is there a reason people don't do that more?

Getting the join between the factory roof at the lower level and the new raised roof sealed so it won't leak while going down the road into a rainstorm or just sitting is a major reason.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #906
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Getting the join between the factory roof at the lower level and the new raised roof sealed so it won't leak while going down the road into a rainstorm or just sitting is a major reason.
Takes a bit of care but its not impossible.
Making it LOOK GOOD is the hardest part with ANY raise.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #907
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm not to scared of leaks I have a welder and some really cool 3m stuff for military vehicles that's labeled for industrial use only
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #908
Bus Nut

Yes, I would agree with this.
Quote:
Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #909
Bus Nut

If I had to do it again, I would drill out EVERY SINGLE ONE of those closely spaced rivets between the rear stamped bulkhead and the section where the windows attach. I'd then add a large strip of sheet across there and then install DOUBLE the rivets I removed (because now you've got a strip connecting where all those holes were at.

I think that looks the cleanest, and would probably be the most leak-free. I took the "building a metal shed" approach, the rear of my roof raise has considerable overhang which seems to keep the weather out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post

Old 05-04-2018, 12:26 AM   #910
Bus Nut

Lithium battery container for a bus – www.broccolibus.com

Some battery updates on the post above.

As always, progress is incremental.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #911
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
New member, Washington native, and industrial electrician here...read the whole thread this morning and wanted to compliment your battery packs, on top of an already excellent build. Inspiring work!
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 PM   #912
Bus Nut

I haven't posted in a while. House sale closes mid September, stuff in storage, and job is tentatively ok with 95% remote work.

I am working my a$$ off to get things done asap. I have till the last of September to leave nothing behind at the sold house.

The smoke has made it incredibly hard to work outside here in the Seattle area.

Oh yeah, solar powered air conditioning!

I still need to add the front air faring.

This is sort of a scary go forward only operation at this point.

Hope y'all are doing well.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #913

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD
What size rivet gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Sides will be installed...sooooon.
How did the riveter work for the 1/4" steel rivets? What size gun is right?
Nice work. Thanks for posting!
Pihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #914
Bus Nut

Thanks! 4x rivet gun. It was fine with the 1/4" rivets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pihl View Post
How did the riveter work for the 1/4" steel rivets? What size gun is right?
Nice work. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #915
Bus Nut

We are staying in Mississippi right now for the holidays, then I think we're heading back to New Mexico again. We like it there, it's drier and the skies are bluer.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #916
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Amazing build! Great narration! I was laughing out loud at some of the comments. I will likely be rereading your thread and taking notes of all the great ideas you incorporated. I love the beds and use of the drawer slides for the pocket door. It was nice to see framing done with steel as this is what I am planning on doing.

Also, is that a bypass oil filter above your timing cover? If not, what the heck is it?

Merry Christmas

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #917
Mini-Skoolie

aaronsb,

Holy cow what a build. Just binge read all 92 pages. I'm in the skoolie planning stage now. I intend to live in it full time with my wife and myself and 3 fur children on board. I'm hoping to find a bus exactly like yours, same model RE with the Cummins 8.3

Your craftsmanship is second to none on many levels. The Nissan leaf packs and all the associated systems that go with it and the lengths you have went to making it work and be safe and essentially autonomous are extremely impressive. One observation/question I have is how the packs are connected? Seems nominal cell voltage is around 7.8v ? After looking at your web site and the bus bars it looks like you have 7 cells in parallel packs that are all wired in series to give you the "48v" nominal voltage.

Is this the same pack size in Kwh as configured in a Leaf, or have you added additional batteries?

What the heck do you do for a living anyways? It seems you are a welder, fabricator, electrician/electrical engineer and apparently software with the Arduino also? haha
kcarsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #918
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
And that was the last they heard from the broccoli bus......
Good build . So many badass ideas came to life . I wish I could copy them all. Especially the door. The solar / battery packs.
Some kind of queen size Murphy bed on those hinges and pins like your kids beds. Or a dinette for the kitchen like that. And probabaly some hot water plumbing . And lighting . Really so much in here was done right . Thanks for all the documentation . Really quaint and inspirational build
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #919
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
Good build . So many badass ideas came to life . I wish I could copy them all. Especially the door. The solar / battery packs.
Some kind of queen size Murphy bed on those hinges and pins like your kids beds. Or a dinette for the kitchen like that. And probabaly some hot water plumbing . And lighting . Really so much in here was done right . Thanks for all the documentation . Really quaint and inspirational build
He and his family are very active on Instagram now under their page, @broccolibus6 Just FYI.
Flowstatebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #920
Bus Nut

I'm still alive. Skoolie.net broke for me after it got scooped up by rvlife and it's taken a long time to figure out how to fix my account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post